Equivalent of notary in Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Equivalent of notary in Cambodia

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Hi everyone,

In countries like the US and the UK, a notary is someone who basically strengthens a document by officially verifying that two people signed a document. It's a pretty low key function and I've even gotten it for free recently.

My wife and I may need a notarized document related to Cambodia. But it seems like in Cambodia a notary has a very different meaning. A notary is a kind of lawyer. So getting a notary to notarize something is quite expensive.

Does anyone know of an equivalent in Cambodia- of a person or official who essentially gives a signed (or thumbprinted) document a more official status or makes it "official" ?
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Equivalent of notary in Cambodia

Post by Spigzy »

Possibly could be done by a Sangkat/Village Chief as a lot of those local affairs are often taken care of there. Not sure how important the document is though, if serious consequences to you as a foreigner if it all turns sour, probably worth paying a lawyer/notary.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

If you're a US passport holder, you can get it done at the US embassy. Bring along two witnesses.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

There are Notaries in Cambodia, they are called "Notarie Publique", but yes they can be pricey, usually $30 - 50 per document, but they are authorised by the government so as official as you're going to get.

If the document you need Notarised is an official Cambodian document, you can have it Notarised at the MoFAIC for about 10,000KHR

Sangkat Chiefs don't Notarise documents, they will stamp and sign/thumbprint copies of documents issued by them, but nothing else (although with a little tea money anything is usually possible πŸ˜‰ ).
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: ↑Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:24 am There are Notaries in Cambodia, they are called "Notarie Publique", but yes they can be pricey, usually $30 - 50 per document, but they are authorised by the government so as official as you're going to get.

If the document you need Notarised is an official Cambodian document, you can have it Notarised at the MoFAIC for about 10,000KHR

Sangkat Chiefs don't Notarise documents, they will stamp and sign/thumbprint copies of documents issued by them, but nothing else (although with a little tea money anything is usually possible πŸ˜‰ ).
Thanks, actually it's us a normal document signed by a landlord but we were told that getting it notarized would make it have more weight. As in theory it could be forged.

As it's not an official Cambodian document that probably won't work.

Can you point us in the direction of a "Notarie Publique"? How can we find one?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

daeum_tnaot wrote: ↑Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:06 pm

I've used these before: HBS Law and Notary Office, GIA Tower, 37th Floor, Sopheak Mongkul Rd, Diamond Island, Phnom Penh.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

daeum_tnaot wrote: ↑Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:06 pm Can you point us in the direction of a "Notarie Publique"? How can we find one?
Google "Notarie Publique Phnom Penh", there are several. I have always used Benson Samay, #1 Mao Tse Toung Blvd.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: ↑Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:36 pm
daeum_tnaot wrote: ↑Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:06 pm Can you point us in the direction of a "Notarie Publique"? How can we find one?
Google "Notarie Publique Phnom Penh", there are several. I have always used Benson Samay, #1 Mao Tse Toung Blvd.
Do you know how much it costs there?
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

John Bingham wrote: ↑Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:13 pm
daeum_tnaot wrote: ↑Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:06 pm

I've used these before: HBS Law and Notary Office, GIA Tower, 37th Floor, Sopheak Mongkul Rd, Diamond Island, Phnom Penh.
How much does it cost at HBS Law and Notary?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

daeum_tnaot wrote: ↑Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:46 am
PSD-Kiwi wrote: ↑Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:36 pm
Do you know how much it costs there?
Last time I used him a couple years ago it was $40 if I remember correctly
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic