Ramsay Hunt Syndrome

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Ramsay Hunt Syndrome

Post by down_time »

Matt Carney, a stage manager who lives in Bedford, was at work in 2017 when he experienced the first of a series of mysterious symptoms. “We’d just started a performance of Hairspray, and almost with the first beat of the overture an intense earache started – like no earache I’ve ever had before.” Painkillers had no effect and when he was driving home later, his face felt strange in a way he couldn’t put his finger on. Within two days, he says, “it was completely paralysed on the right side”.
Do you know what Ramsay Hunt syndrome is? I had never heard of it until I read this article relating to Justin Beiber's recent attack.
Knowing the signs and getting treatment quickly is imperative to reduce the risk of long-term consequences. Symptoms are very similar to Bell's Palsy (which I am aware of after a friend suffered from it years ago) but Ramsay Hunt syndrome has potentially life changing long-term outcomes and is relatively unknown. A quick read could protect your loved ones from the life changing impact of this disease.
It is caused by the varicella zoster virus, which, after a bout of chickenpox, becomes dormant in the body – in the case of Ramsay Hunt syndrome, in nerve cells. It is, essentially, a shingles infection affecting the facial nerve after the dormant virus is activated.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... sdiagnosed