Honda Three-Wheel Electric Scooter

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Honda Three-Wheel Electric Scooter

Post by yong »

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Automo ... 7&si=44594

Honda startup to introduce three-wheel electric scooter
Striemo eyes Europe in 2023 after Japan debut this year

Striemo Chief Executive Yotaro Mori demonstrates his company's new 3-wheel electric scooter in Wako City, Saitama Prefecture, on June 13. (Photo by Shizuka Tanabe)
SHIZUKA TANABE, Nikkei staff writerJune 13, 2022 21:23 JST

TOKYO -- Honda Motor subsidiary Striemo announced on Monday its entry into the electric three-wheel scooter market.

A startup in Honda's business creation program, Striemo unveiled its eponymous new electric scooter at a press conference. The company has begun taking preorders online from individuals for a limited 300 units at 260,000 yen ($1,900).

The Striemo weighs 20 kilograms and can travel 30 kilometers on a charge. The driver operates the accelerator and brake manually, and can make the vehicle turn by shifting his or her weight as if skiing. The three-wheelers are due to go on sale in Japan before the end of this year, and in Europe in 2023.

Under the Japanese law, riders are required to have a Class 1 motorized bicycle license and wear a helmet when riding such machines on public roads. For corporate customers, Striemo will offer by the end of 2022 a subscription system to use the electric scooter off public roads in places like factories and universities.

In April this year, the law was revised and this will allow the electric scooters access to public roads without a driver's license within two years.

At a press conference, Striemo Chief Executive Yotaro Mori anticipated market expansion. "The legal revision will further increase demand," he said.

In order to comply with the revised law, the company intends to develop new models equipped with mirrors, turn signals and indicators that display speeds to pedestrians.

The electric scooter market is dominated by startup companies at the moment, but major car manufacturers are looking to compete by applying safety technologies evolved from motorcycle and car manufacture.

Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Honda Three-Wheel Electric Scooter

Post by Chad Sexington »

yong wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:27 pm https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Automo ... 7&si=44594

Honda startup to introduce three-wheel electric scooter
Striemo eyes Europe in 2023 after Japan debut this year

Striemo Chief Executive Yotaro Mori demonstrates his company's new 3-wheel electric scooter in Wako City, Saitama Prefecture, on June 13. (Photo by Shizuka Tanabe)
SHIZUKA TANABE, Nikkei staff writerJune 13, 2022 21:23 JST

TOKYO -- Honda Motor subsidiary Striemo announced on Monday its entry into the electric three-wheel scooter market.

A startup in Honda's business creation program, Striemo unveiled its eponymous new electric scooter at a press conference. The company has begun taking preorders online from individuals for a limited 300 units at 260,000 yen ($1,900).

The Striemo weighs 20 kilograms and can travel 30 kilometers on a charge. The driver operates the accelerator and brake manually, and can make the vehicle turn by shifting his or her weight as if skiing. The three-wheelers are due to go on sale in Japan before the end of this year, and in Europe in 2023.

Under the Japanese law, riders are required to have a Class 1 motorized bicycle license and wear a helmet when riding such machines on public roads. For corporate customers, Striemo will offer by the end of 2022 a subscription system to use the electric scooter off public roads in places like factories and universities.

In April this year, the law was revised and this will allow the electric scooters access to public roads without a driver's license within two years.

At a press conference, Striemo Chief Executive Yotaro Mori anticipated market expansion. "The legal revision will further increase demand," he said.

In order to comply with the revised law, the company intends to develop new models equipped with mirrors, turn signals and indicators that display speeds to pedestrians.

The electric scooter market is dominated by startup companies at the moment, but major car manufacturers are looking to compete by applying safety technologies evolved from motorcycle and car manufacture.

Any vehicle with wheels that small in diameter would be pointless here, there’s barely any sidewalks or roads paved well enough to be able to use them.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I don't think they seem too safe either. The standing up position seems vulnerable. Also they aren't going to work too well in the puddles here, which can be knee deep!
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

It'd be a bit of fun around centre court at Roland Garros, I reckon.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

There's a guy around the corner from me who sells and services electric scooters, I stopped by a few weeks back to take a look. He had some new models that had just arrived, selling with a good guarantee for around $160, but again the small wheels. I don't think they are also suited for here too, but I must admit I did consider a second hand one with 10" wheels, it was quite advanced with disc brakes and a 3-mode computer and quick charge, speed matching the distance from fully charged of about 55km, $220.
He had around 10 customers scooters having repairs and mainly services, he told me in conversation that his main customer base we're Khmer using them around the city to travel to work.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/KiNG+ ... lkxUjNFQUU
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

On skateboards we use knee pads, elbow pads, wrist guards, on flat sanded wood...smooth concrete....
I just wonder which bone would crack first on bumpy / sandy / wet concrete without these things ?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Just say nope. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

John Bingham, you got me thinking about this - One of my motos has a Lithium battery conversion, but it could still get hot between the bollocks.

How batteries can explode – and how to avoid it

Marine electrical expert Nigel Calder explains why boat batteries emit hydrogen and how to minimise the dangers.

During the final stages of charging, all lead-acid batteries break down some of the electrolyte in a battery into hydrogen and oxygen. With sealed batteries, such as gel cells and AGMs, the gases are normally contained within the battery, although in certain circumstances (notably, persistent overcharging), enough internal pressure can build up to open pressure release valves and vent the gasses. With wet cell batteries – the type that need topping up from time to time – the gases are always vented.

Hydrogen, which is highly explosive, is much lighter than air, so typically will rapidly rise and disperse, so long as there is even minimal venting from the top of a battery box and from the top of the compartment in which the battery box is housed. However, if a pocket of gas forms, any spark (such as from a brushed electric motor kicking on) may set off the hydrogen, on occasion resulting in a powerful explosion. This is what blew the top off the Fukushima nuclear power plants in Japan. Occasionally, internal short circuits create a spark inside batteries that can set off a hydrogen explosion within the battery, blowing the case open. Note that this can occur with sealed batteries as well as with wet cell batteries.

https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/archive ... id-it-3930

Why do batteries explode? the next source - poor quality chargers

Poor quality chargers have bad voltage regulation and can cause overcharge. This leads to the evolution of hydrogen gases, which normally occurs only at the end of charge. Hydrogen can accumulate within a cell if the vent plug is blocked by dust. Or when gassing is vigorous with the rate of venting being slow compared to the rate of gas generated. In the normal course, the porous ceramic or plastic vent plug with a hole provided allows the hydrogen, to diffuse out naturally.

The density of hydrogen gas – 0.000089 g/L
The density of oxygen gas – 1.42 g/L (16000 times heavier compared to hydrogen)
The explosion/fire happens in spite of hydrogen being 16000 times lighter. Hydrogen can accumulate only when the area around the battery is enclosed. Even a small spark can lead to the battery explosion.

https://microtexindia.com/why-do-batteries-explode/

Battery Fires and Explosions: Lithium Battery Cell Protections

In this 2017 update of articles from 2015, and 2016, the technical experts at Robson Forensic highlight the safety protections built into Lithium-ion batteries. Failure of these battery safety features can lead to fire and explosions. Our experts are frequently engaged to investigate battery fires in a range of consumer products, including cell phones, laptops, RC models,
e-cigarettes, vape devices, and other portable electronic devices.

Safe Battery Design to Prevent Fires & Explosions

The past decade has seen significant advances in lithium battery technology. Lithium-ion batteries are the preferred power source for many portable electronics because of their high energy density, long cycle life, and higher operational voltage as compared to NiCd and NiMH systems. However, Lithium-ion batteries are sensitive to overcharge, over-discharge, over-current, short-circuiting, and physical abuse which has attracted much attention recently. Unlike other battery types, Li-ion battery electrolyte is a volatile, extremely flammable solvent that will burn quite vigorously and easily. The high energy density can undergo thermal runaway. Basically, if the battery cell gets too hot, lithium ions will begin reacting with oxygen stored as metal oxides and release even more heat, which accelerates the reaction further. What inevitably results is a battery that self-ignites, sprays its highly flammable electrolyte out which promptly ignites in the fresh supply of oxygen. Lithium-ion batteries require very carefully designed battery management to prevent catastrophic failure. This includes mechanisms that protect them from short circuit, over-charge, under-charge, over-discharge, over-temperature, over-current, pressure build-up, and physical abuse and disable them before dangerous conditions arise. However, the protection devices are ineffective to stop a thermal runaway once in progress which could result in an explosion or fire. Therefore, battery cell protections are critical in Lithium batteries.

https://www.robsonforensic.com/articles ... rt-witness
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I've seen a few of these things in London in the last few weeks and also "Push Bikes", for want of a better name, being powered by a battery and whizzing along on the pavement not giving a f**k.

There are moves afoot to shut this little industry down, and I can see why.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:24 pm I've seen a few of these things in London in the last few weeks and also "Push Bikes", for want of a better name, being powered by a battery and whizzing along on the pavement not giving a f**k.

There are moves afoot to shut this little industry down, and I can see why.
Doe's anyone in London give a f**k, I found on many occasions when my work took me there, if you said good morning to anyone, they would clasp their bag or wallet tighter. :stir:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic