Cambodia Labor Law

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
joe.acevedo
Tourist
United States of America

Cambodia Labor Law

Post by joe.acevedo »

Greetings Expats:
I am having a bit of a problem with my employer regarding working on Sunday and during breaks and lunch breaks. She says I am not working because I am not teaching. I think (correct me if I am wrong) that if I am in a school meeting, I am working. Same if I am in a school training I am working. Regardless weather I am physically at the school or on line, if it's work related and mandated by the school, I am working and should be compensated. That's my understanding. Any input from you fellow expats?
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Cambodia Labor Law

Post by Spigzy »

Whether you are working or not probably depends on the weather? #KingdomOfWonder
:-)
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Difficult to answer without knowing if you have a contract and, if so, what it says. Additionally, are you paid on an hourly basis or paid a fixed salary?
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I’m just an interested observer, so feel free to ignore me. I’ve never worked in Cambodia, but having heard plenty of tales of people’s working conditions, and changing and increasingly unreasonable expectations, it wouldn’t surprise me that there’s a greater number of unscrupulous employers in less regulated countries like Cambodia. I’ve seen it elsewhere in Asia, to the point of being ludicrous. They’ve bought you, so they own you mentality.

If it’s work related, and not specifically detailed in an employment contract as some extra duties outside of normal scheduled hours, it seems reasonable to apply real world sensibilities- its work. How much extra? A reasonable amount? What’s reasonable?
The next question seems to be- do they care? And if they don’t, what to do?

It’s easy to apply rational thinking from the developed world yourself, another matter getting that accepted locally.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Cambo labour law is very strong, if you have a contract

However "schools" that require their staff to be on premises for a set amount of hours per day including weekends yet only pay teaching hours are everywhere

I wouldn't work under said conditions, your call
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

joe.acevedo wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:10 am Greetings Expats:
I am having a bit of a problem with my employer regarding working on Sunday and during breaks and lunch breaks. She says I am not working because I am not teaching. I think (correct me if I am wrong) that if I am in a school meeting, I am working. Same if I am in a school training I am working. Regardless weather I am physically at the school or on line, if it's work related and mandated by the school, I am working and should be compensated. That's my understanding. Any input from you fellow expats?
You can read the Cambodian labor law. It's quite short. However, getting enforcement of the Labor Law is another issue entirely.

Based on what you said, I would lie low and find another job.
vivathedivas
BANNED
Australia

Post by vivathedivas »

joe.acevedo wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:10 am Greetings Expats:
If you are required to be at the school by the admin/owner, you are working.

Read the Labor Law.

1. Name and shame this 'school'.

2. Get another job, and explain to your new employers that you will follow the contract. One or two help-outs, nobody minds, but regularly, and invading on your free time and weekends? Tell them to FO

Name and shame!
Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.
Curiousman
Tourist
United Arab Emirates

Post by Curiousman »

What would be the monthly tarif for two or maybe three ladies aged in their late 30s or early 40s to reside with me to do the cooking, cleaning and bed-warming in Cambodia?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Curiousman wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:22 pm What would be the monthly tarif for two or maybe three ladies aged in their late 30s or early 40s to reside with me to do the cooking, cleaning and bed-warming in Cambodia?
You're really into spreading the word, don't you?

Posting once generally does the trick.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:54 pm
Curiousman wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:22 pm What would be the monthly tarif for two or maybe three ladies aged in their late 30s or early 40s to reside with me to do the cooking, cleaning and bed-warming in Cambodia?
You're really into spreading the word, don't you?

Posting once generally does the trick.
I sympathise, Kammekor, but still- aren’t you trying to reason with someone who looks down on a certain proportion of humanity as something between chattel and slave?
Best to eradicate cockroaches, rather than educate them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic