When Sick

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: When Sick

Post by AndyKK »

armchairlawyer wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:19 am I don’t understand why the meds for scabies were hard to get.
Scabies is quite common here and the treatment is Ivermectin. Check this but I think to take it daily - 0.2mg per kg body weight. Strips of ten 12mg pills cost $2.50.
Ivermectin, I have used twice in the last 6 months, also a soap that can kill them, but the cream is very difficult to obtain, I tried so many pharmacies in the city to be told "no have". The Australian pharmacist at Doun Penh told me it's impossible for them to get a supply, I obtained some at the Preah Kossamak Hospital. Cream's cost around $2.50 to $15 per tube. 3-4 tubes for an adult depending on size.
I had another large bout of the hives multiplied on my body in Kampong Cham, I had my partner in the government hospital emergency room at this time, where she was unfortunate to suffer a brain aneurysm. Whilst I was there, I asked if they would treat me for my problem, "NO" was the firm answer. But I did get some help from a community health centre, cream and medicine.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

It was not long ago someone mentioned on another thread that they felt after eating the vegetables here. I have also mentioned earlier in this thread about pesticide poisoning.

Pesticide Residues Difficult to Wash Off Food

(Beyond Pesticides, October 27, 2017) In a study published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, scientists at University of Massachusetts, Amherst identify a novel approach to reduce toxic pesticide residues on conventional food. The method the authors describe is cumbersome and unlikely to be widely used by consumers. At the same time, study results confirm that eating organic products is the best way for individuals and families to eliminate pesticide residues from their diet.

https://beyondpesticides.org/dailynewsb ... -off-food/

Nine out of ten Cambodian farmers poisoned by pesticides

A survey by researchers at Copenhagen University has found nine out of ten Cambodian farmers show symptoms of extreme pesticide poisoning. Experts say safety measures are often ignored or misunderstood.

https://www.dw.com/en/nine-out-of-ten-c ... /a-6417849
J. Visiting
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by J. Visiting »

I cured that skin condition that you have and I will tell you how I cured it.

But, one condition, the skin condition that you have can only be your condition. Other peoples condition is not the same as yours, so you have to decide.

I did a few things. Like you I found a great doctor. But great as he is, he could not help beyond saying to put some lotion on it. That pink stuff.

Someone on the internet, OH NO, said that in africa we call that mango fly. It was on a general chat board like here at CEO, so I did not get a chance to ask more. I got the idea that mango fly can lay eggs in clothing hanging outside. They hatch when you are wearing those clothes.

I did the worm medicine ivermectin. I did a few more things. I asked a Cambodian if they had ever heard of the dreaded mango fly and the answer was no. No one ever heard of such a thing.

There is a couple other things, but I did cure that illness twice. Not your illness of course but maybe you are already cured up.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

J. Visiting wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:58 pm I cured that skin condition that you have and I will tell you how I cured it.

But, one condition, the skin condition that you have can only be your condition. Other peoples condition is not the same as yours, so you have to decide.

I did a few things. Like you I found a great doctor. But great as he is, he could not help beyond saying to put some lotion on it. That pink stuff.

Someone on the internet, OH NO, said that in africa we call that mango fly. It was on a general chat board like here at CEO, so I did not get a chance to ask more. I got the idea that mango fly can lay eggs in clothing hanging outside. They hatch when you are wearing those clothes.

I did the worm medicine ivermectin. I did a few more things. I asked a Cambodian if they had ever heard of the dreaded mango fly and the answer was no. No one ever heard of such a thing.

There is a couple other things, but I did cure that illness twice. Not your illness of course but maybe you are already cured up.
That's a pretty good diagnosis and with showing the same or very similar conditions to the sickness, but saying that parasites were checked for. Also, it's another thing to bear in mind since my neighbours had just cut down their mango tree. My partner had also mentioned this to me some time ago (so there are Khmer who know), she would be very particular about the washing and hanging out clothing.

Mango Fly: This Bug Gets Under Your Skin

Mango flies (Cordylobia anthropophaga) are a species of blow fly that’s native to certain parts of Africa, including South Africa and Uganda. These flies have several names, including putsi or putzi fly, skin maggot fly, and tumbu fly.

The larvae of mango flies are parasitic. This means they get under the skin of mammals, including humans, and live there until they’re ready to hatch into maggots. This type of parasitic infestation in a person is called cutaneous myiasis.

Keep reading to learn how to avoid becoming a host to mango fly larvae if you live or travel to parts of the world where they can be found in large numbers.

We’ll also tell you what an infestation looks like and what to do if one or more mango fly eggs get under your skin.

https://www.healthline.com/health/mango-fly
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:34 am
Ozinasia wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:02 am didn't happen after being vaccinated did it per chance ?
Friend of mine in Philippines has what appears to be identical spots , diagnosed as scabies bought on (caused by the vaccination) until now after a year has gotten progressively worse and worse . It would be good to know exactly what is curing your case since he is now ready to take a bottle of sleeping pills.
I can understand how your friend feels, I hope he gets the right treatment.
Now vaccination, had that been diagnosed? It crossed my mind in my case it may have been even pesticide poisoning.
Well, I am open to any input about this sickness, and I do call it a sickness, it's not just the irritation (scratch crazy at some times) or the unsightly look of the spot rash. But the feeling of being unwell, the feeling of wanting to vomit, headache, lack of sleep over some nights and days. Most days I don't have any energy or any will also to do anything, (this is total opposite of me, because I like my active hobbies) I don't go outside too often, because I have not got the energy to do so, I don't want to social with people because I genuinely feel so ill. If at times if there is a need, l would take a tuk-tuc due to me not feeling safe to ride the moto, I have clipped 2 vehicles in this week alone, due to bad judgement and lack of control.
As for the treatment it's in the opening post, 18 injections over a 3-day period, one of the injections, I was told one injection narrows the veins so the antihistamine, adrenaline (Epinephrine) injection, with the oral medicine, hopefully it will fight the infection.
Epinephrine is the first-line treatment for a severe allergic reaction, working to open the airways, stop hives and swelling, increase blood pressure, and decrease abdominal cramping.

https://www.myfoodallergyteam.com/resou ... %20More%20

The doctor seems to be very knowledgeable on the subject and good experience, he converses well in English, but some wording and expectations will be lost in communication of translation, that had happened in conversation, but he had put the thought into it, due to when I had returned again later in the day, or day after he has answered any questions that I asked previous.
I will return to the clinic after the 10-day period (hopefully the medication will take effect) improving my health. If not, then I will opt for the injections again, hoping it will sort the problem.

Food wise I have been advised to eat only river fish and pork, vegetables and fruit, drink more water.
No beef nor chicken, milk yogurt and eggs.

This is a translation of the clinic, if it helps anyone.
Actually, out of context, but what translation tools was used to translate this? I have been searching for a OCR or camera translation tool for Khmer for years now and the only one that I found was Khmer OCR, which crashes on every device I tried...
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Photos Google on the smart phone. Select photo, go to lens, then opt for translate.

ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

I am a bit baffled. Google translate is incapable to translate, but Google lens can. WTF...
OK, I will install that lens app now. Thanks

Edith says: works great. Thanks a lot! Finally I can get translations of Khmer script without my staff
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Another skin rash with very similar symptoms to many others, very recently in the news. Are the health authorities getting ready if there is an outbreak in the country?
Quote from the article - Initially the administration of vaccines will be limited, in which case it should be focused on the risk factors associated with exposure.
The article goes on to say - Seek care. The CDC has invested a lot of effort in informing the health care provider community. So pay attention to symptoms and reach out early on.

But, the article states that administration of vaccines will be limited, and it doesn't exactly tell you where to go and seek the medical attention needed. Surely if a person happened to be effective by the virus, he/she would be a health risk and need treatment to prevent spread.

The CDC recommends the following:

1 - A smallpox vaccination should be administered within two weeks of exposure to monkeypox.
2 - Cidofovir (Vistide), an antiviral drug, is suggested for patients with severe, life-threatening symptoms.

Monkeypox: What you need to know about the recent outbreaks

While the world continues to grapple with the impact of COVID-19, a different viral outbreak, monkeypox, is making headlines. As new infections pop up across the globe, should countries be bracing themselves for the next pandemic?

What is monkeypox?

Monkeypox is an illness with characteristic skin lesions that is spread through close contact. The virus is closely related to the virus that caused smallpox, which was declared eradicated in 1980. Monkeypox has two variants, or clades. One is the so-called Central African clade, in which one in 10 people die. The other is the West African clade, which has a one percent case mortality—about one in 100 people die. Having said that, case mortality is very dependent on the location and situation—where people are being treated, how quickly they are diagnosed, and what therapies they receive. So the mortality may unfortunately be a function of a person’s circumstances.

The monkeypox virus is not like measles or Sars-CoV-2. It’s not known to be highly infectious, and it mostly requires a degree of intimate contact for transmission. Fortunately, the smallpox vaccine was documented to be approximately 85 percent effective in protecting against monkeypox, but this vaccination was stopped in the United States in 1972 and around the world in the early 80s. Therefore, not a lot of people have the smallpox vaccination. There is a monkeypox vaccine out there as well, but unlike the smallpox vaccine, it hasn’t been widely used.

How similar is monkeypox to smallpox?

In terms of deaths, smallpox was way more dangerous—monkeypox is the much less lethal cousin of smallpox.

Where did monkeypox get its name?

It’s called monkeypox because scientists in Denmark saw its manifestation in monkeys first. But it’s the rodents that we need to worry about in terms of actual transmission. It came to light when it was identified in monkeys, but monkeys are not a main source of transmission.

What are the signs and symptoms of monkeypox?

Usually the disease begins with fever, headache, mild muscle pain, palpable lymph nodes, chills, and extreme fatigue. Within 1 to 3 days, lesions appear as a rash, often but not always appearing on the face and spreading to other parts of the body. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has a really nice description of the rash—I would refer you to that comprehensive description.

Monkeypox was first documented in humans in 1970. Why is it making headlines now?

Whenever you have an outbreak outside an endemic area [in this case, the portions of Africa I mentioned], it attracts attention. The other thing is that we are seeing multiple outbreaks at the same time outside the endemic area— monkeypox is circulating in multiple countries. Even before that, in areas where the virus is more prevalent, the rates were slowly going up over the years. So that’s why people are paying more attention now.

How does monkeypox spread?

Monkeypox spreads through close contact—living with someone, intimate contact like sexual activity. When people have sexual contact, they have to be in proximity to each other. So it’s not necessarily sexually transmitted, but that’s one kind of intimate contact. If you are living with someone, sharing a room or bed with someone, that’s the kind of stuff we are concerned about when it comes to transmission.

Should we worry about a monkeypox pandemic?

While it’s a cause for concern, it’s not likely to create close to the order of magnitude of disruption that was caused by COVID-19. At least that is our assessment at this time. But this certainly needs attention. It’s one of those things that should disturb the sleep of people who do this for a living, but not necessarily for the rest of the population. It requires attention, early follow up, and good shoe-leather epidemiology to figure out why these outbreaks are happening at the same time, and being prepared with preventative measures and vaccines if needed. But it does not need the level of concern that COVID-19 showed for the new respiratory virus that was spreading in early 2020.

read on -

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501096812/ ... outbreaks/
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

To hopefully combat the recent skin rash, I seemed to have unfortunately required, being first told it was scabies, and I have been observant also if it was a type of the many parasites here, then recently the rash was diagnosed, down to a result of a recent food allergy.
In the past I've have tried many cream products from the pharmacies to no avail, some of the products actually make the condition worse.
Over 2 days I have started to hopefully combat the situation, what I have found to be working at this point is like I normally do is have at least 2 showers per day, but I have been adding a little amount of salt to a bucket of warm water, then filling a small drinking water bottle with about 20% of vinegar, also to retain some if the mixture to the skin to add aloe cleansing foam, (keeping away from perfumed soap). Using a flannel rub the solution gently all over the body, then bucket shower with the salt water, both salt and vinegar have cleaning properties.
Once completely dry, I mix a small amount of honey with a Vaseline water-based product (not petroleum jelly), because I found putting honey alone, left the skin over sticky.
Honey is a rich source of antioxidants that help to fight free radicals which cause skin damage. Fights Inflammation: Honey soothes skin rashes, cracked skin and swelling because of its anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It soothes skin rashes and inflammations caused due to acne and other skin problems.
Post some pictures of the rash in a few days’ time, see if it does any good.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic