Will Cambodia legalise and tax Cannabis in the KOW ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Re: Will Cambodia legalise and tax Cannabis in the KOW ?

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:54 pm
Nick&Bun wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:34 pm i have always believed that some of the financial help Cambodia receive from abroad depends on some values from abroad being seen to be obeyed.
i think a $100/year license to smoke/grow could be a compromise.
Legend has it that pot wasn't criminalized here until the wicked witch of the west came to visit in the late 90's (in her then capacity as US secretary of state) and was appalled upon visiting Psar Toul Tom Poung when she saw kilos of bush weed for sale and pushed Iron man to legislate against it

But that was a different time; and countries are more awake to the hypocrisy of the US, so hopefully it is decriminalized and fast
The legend I heard was that the publishing of "Off the Rails in Phnom Penh" is what brought unwanted attention to the weed for sale and then led to it being made illegal.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:14 am
Nick&Bun wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:34 pm i have always believed that some of the financial help Cambodia receive from abroad depends on some values from abroad being seen to be obeyed.
Legend has it that pot wasn't criminalized here until the wicked witch of the west came to visit in the late 90's (in her then capacity as US secretary of state) and was appalled upon visiting Psar Toul Tom Poung when she saw kilos of bush weed for sale and pushed Iron man to legislate against it

But that was a different time; and countries are more awake to the hypocrisy of the US, so hopefully it is decriminalized and fast
The legend I heard was that the publishing of "Off the Rails in Phnom Penh" is what brought unwanted attention to the weed for sale and then led to it being made illegal.
Did Hillary read Off the Rails? Pretty wild.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Big Daikon wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:45 am

That would be a trip.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:30 am
Big Daikon wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:45 am

That would be a trip.
Well, I'm sure somebody can clarify it but either of those stories could be it
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

RogerSizemore
Tourist

Post by RogerSizemore »

Although the UN forced a law against it in 1991, it's never really been illegal here. As I understand it, citizens are immune to enforcement. This does not apply to foreigners, however, for whom it is considered illegal.
jubo2
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by jubo2 »

Maybe the dictator in Cambodia is rich enough ? Our dictator in Thailand wanted more money...
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

RogerSizemore wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:30 pm As I understand it, citizens are immune to enforcement. This does not apply to foreigners, however, for whom it is considered illegal.
That's nothing but an urban tourist/expat myth...The law applies to all, including Cambodian Citizens, enforcement comes down to whether one is paying the right people enough money.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic