Motorbike for my girl ... your advice ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Motorbike for my girl ... your advice ?

Post by Tootsfriend »

IraHayes wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:09 pm if $2k is over your budget for a moto you're gonna be in for one hell of a shock when you see the cost of getting married
Always thought it was the cost of a divorce that gave the shock.
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

Tootsfriend wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:32 pm
IraHayes wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:09 pm if $2k is over your budget for a moto you're gonna be in for one hell of a shock when you see the cost of getting married
Always thought it was the cost of a divorce that gave the shock.
Speed isn't what kills you. Suddenly becoming stationary is...
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

SlowJoe wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:05 pm Speed isn't what kills you. Suddenly becoming stationary is...
What about if you get hit by something huge going really fast like a Mack truck? Or a .50 cal bullet? Asking the real questions here. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I have had 2 near misses of late, first was 2 young guys on a Honda Dream who stopped dead in the middle of the road for no reason, I blame myself for being too close, I avoided the back of the dream but clipped the passengers foot. Today I was riding along Chber Ampov Riverside, the telegraph posts are 2 feet into the road, here a tuc-tuk gave me no room when he was overtaking me, it was the concrete post or the side of the tuk. The tuk never stopped.
To be fair I have not been going out, only to the doctor due to being sick of late, that is a different story, and will post of it soon.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:03 pm
SlowJoe wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:05 pm Speed isn't what kills you. Suddenly becoming stationary is...
What about if you get hit by something huge going really fast like a Mack truck? Or a .50 cal bullet? Asking the real questions here. :?
Literally, it’s still the impact (or deceleration, dissipation of energy) at this point that does the damage. The truck will happily flatten a small car, if it’s only doing 50kmh. Two little old ladies in a Austin something or other demonstrated this near my folks place only a few years ago.

If speed alone were the killer, at 450kts, I’d have been toast years ago. It’s an incompatible application of some other event, effect or obstacle that seems to bugger the equation up. The bullet is going to follow its trajectory util it runs out of energy, or runs into something else.
barang_TK
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by barang_TK »

SlowJoe wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:33 pm
barang_TK wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:04 pm I bought my Honda Wave alpha 3 years ago, 840$. New one, assembled in Vietnam. I've not had problem with it (yet), good deal IMO.
So i'm a bit surprised to read here that the price for it could be up to 1.3 - 1.6 k$... Anyone bought one recently ?
3 years ago the Wave Alpha was $1300-1350. You probably bought a copy or a grey market import that didn't have the tax paid on it. Real and legal Wave Alphas haven't been below $1000 for almost 10 years now (I had a 2011 when I first got here, and it was $1050).

Last month I was helping shopping for a bike for someone, and the Alpha 110 was $1620 or $1650 (forgot exactly) was the quoted price, I think registration was included.

It's a significantly different bike this year from the Alpha 100, mainly because it has a completely different (and better) engine. For what it's worth, it's also a LOT quieter than the Alpha 100 which that alone makes it worth buying in my opinion.
Yes, that's probably without taxes. I bought it in Memot city, only a few kilometers from the border. Alpha 110, drum brakes. I've never tried to register it, as 50% of motorbikes here near the border. Thanks for your answers guys (included Bluenose and Kammekor) ! Good motorbike by the way, maybe good enough for the OP's girlfriend ! :D
Lost50
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lost50 »

I bought my ex a motorbike then caught her cheating.

I got the guy to pay for the bike which he did in cash. He was as upset as me about the whole situation & genuinely felt bad for me too.

After he paid me I watched them ride away on the bike down lakeside & all I could think was 'that piece of crap Mio was nothing but problems'.

Moral of the story....gifts do not ensure loyalty so just knock boots.

4 days later the other guy left her & no doubt that Mio gave up on her too.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Moral to all stories involving money and women? Never give up more than you can afford to lose. Just like Vegas.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Kenr wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:08 pm Moral to all stories involving money and women? Never give up more than you can afford to lose. Just like Vegas.

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic