Motorbike for my girl ... your advice ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Motorbike for my girl ... your advice ?

Post by SlowJoe »

Freightdog wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:37 pm
That’s fine, and there’s plenty of individual stories shared about peoples lives, where things have panned out one way or another. But there is a very significant tendency for the question to go unanswered, while respondents will make enquiries about the circumstances for the question, and deviate on a tangent.

...*trimmed for post length sake*...
I understand the sentiment of wanting to keep the forum "friendly" to people seeking advice, but I think there's a bit too much of a push to make things "too accessible" while not allowing those who clearly have experience and knowledge about a subject to also add some commentary which may seem "unrelated", but in reality it actually is.

I admit, I'm someone who loathes being told what to do or how to think, and I think a lot of us here are that way (I mean, why else would we as a flock of black sheep be in this country in the first place? We're obviously not the status quo, wherever we are from)...but there really is a time for people to be told what they don't want to hear, and this is one of those times.

It's obvious the guy knows little about the country, but he doesn't want to hear that. "Few years" is not even over the honeymoon period. I'm in my 2nd decade here and I myself am a foreigner struggling to make ends meet. It's obvious he's made up his mind on buying the bike and wants suggestions, so anything other than that is upsetting him, and him snapping back just shows he's nowhere in the right mindset of needing to pay attention to what people are trying to tell him.

I didn't see anyone here attacking him out of jealousy or what have you because of his girlfriend (no ad hominems), I saw a bunch of people basically seeing too many red flags and all being on the same page, which is obviously what he didn't want to hear, and it's understandable because it's calling into question his personal choice of a girlfriend.

Sometimes we don't like being told things we don't want to hear (myself included), and we want to deviate away from it saying "just answer the damn question", but in this case I think the most important points were brought up in terms of the red flags many can see a mile away already.

Some people (myself included) have seen more stories like this than posts in this thread, and there comes a point where when the 50th, 60th, 100th person drives off a cliff while you're trying to warn them, sometimes the question doesn't need to be answered in my opinion.

That's my take on the situation.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Also keep in mind how safe it will be from theft, the thieves love those new Scoopy bikes.
barang_TK
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by barang_TK »

I bought my Honda Wave alpha 3 years ago, 840$. New one, assembled in Vietnam. I've not had problem with it (yet), good deal IMO.
So i'm a bit surprised to read here that the price for it could be up to 1.3 - 1.6 k$... Anyone bought one recently ?
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

if $2k is over your budget for a moto you're gonna be in for one hell of a shock when you see the cost of getting married
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

barang_TK wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:04 pm I bought my Honda Wave alpha 3 years ago, 840$. New one, assembled in Vietnam. I've not had problem with it (yet), good deal IMO.
So i'm a bit surprised to read here that the price for it could be up to 1.3 - 1.6 k$... Anyone bought one recently ?
Last time I went moto shopping for the other half was about the same time, a new Wave around $1300. She decided to have a used Dream for the same price
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

barang_TK wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:04 pm I bought my Honda Wave alpha 3 years ago, 840$. New one, assembled in Vietnam. I've not had problem with it (yet), good deal IMO.
Are you sure it's a legally imported one with all the tax paid?
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

3 years ago the Wave Alpha was $1300-1350. You probably bought a copy or a grey market import that didn't have the tax paid on it. Real and legal Wave Alphas haven't been below $1000 for almost 10 years now (I had a 2011 when I first got here, and it was $1050).

Last month I was helping shopping for a bike for someone, and the Alpha 110 was $1620 or $1650 (forgot exactly) was the quoted price, I think registration was included.

It's a significantly different bike this year from the Alpha 100, mainly because it has a completely different (and better) engine. For what it's worth, it's also a LOT quieter than the Alpha 100 which that alone makes it worth buying in my opinion.
Flexxman
Expatriate

Post by Flexxman »

All valid remarks by SlowJoe. From the Honda Wave advice to questioning the girlfriends' motive, apparently well-meant out of concern for the OP who did not seem to appreciate and receive that as such.

Does she need a reliable mode of transport - or a status symbol to show off to friends. Need for the latter will be more prevalent if OP is not young and handsome, any 'fruits of the relationship' will have to balance that out when her friends question her about the relation (does he intend to marry you, does he take you out of the country to accompany him on vacations, what kind of gifts do you receive etc.).
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

SlowJoe wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:58 pm
CamboMan wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:41 pm
OP is mature, knowledgable, not new in Cambodia, not naive, and just seeking to have his question answered = 'which motorbike ?', nothing else, Thank You
CamboMan wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:10 pm I have lived in Cambodia few years...
Try living here over the space of two decades, and then you can make that claim.

Anyway

Here's advice from an ex motorcycle and car dealer here (me).

Best bang for the buck, Wave Alpha 110.

Reliable, great engine, good price ($1.6k ish), low theft chances, etc. (Personally I think she'll say no).

Best new automatic bang for the buck, none of them.

Clicks (125 or 150) are water cooled and Cambodians rarely ever service the cooling system. 3-4 years later the motor is a mess and expensive to fix. Scoopies are almost $3k with all the options, out of your price range. Zoomer Xs are cheaper but wide, some girls like them though but still out of your price range. Suzukis and Yamahas (except the Qbix) have no resale value here and are bad investments, despite the better tech and often times being better built. Nexs, Let's, Filanos, Grand Filanos, Janus, Finos, etc...say goodbye to 50% of your money in a year.

Best easy to ride, easy to service, and not too expensive automatic

Giorno 50 19' model and up. Super light, easy to ride, easy to handle, has little gadgets like USB charging etc. Might complain it's "too small" though, so again...

You're probably going to be steered towards a Scoopy or Click which are going to be close to $3k for a well equipped model. Base models mid $2.5k.

Anything used over 2 or 3 years is a total crap shoot unless you're familiar with overhauling and reconditioning bikes.

That's strictly my motorcycle advice to you
You even sound like a dealer "Take a look a this beauty here. Sit on it. You look great. 1.6 on the ticket, I've had a good day, and I've got a lunch date, throw 1.5 on the table before my boss comes out (there goes my commission), drive out of here, show the wife, kick cat and you'll still have an avocado in your pocket in the morning. Sign here, here, here and initial here, pay Lucy, I'm off to lunch. Tell your friends."
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:50 am Also keep in mind how safe it will be from theft, the thieves love those new Scoopy bikes.

https://m.aliexpress.com/wholesale/moto ... acker.html

These things are great.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic