Motorbike for my girl ... your advice ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Motorbike for my girl ... your advice ?

Post by Kammekor »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:57 pm Bike insurance? How about health?
This is true. The question isn't if, but when (and how bad), it will happen. I've come off twice, and had another motorcycle run into me from behind, in 12 years time. But I also remember a lot of near misses.
Over time I have changed my behavior. I rarely drive faster than 40 km/h, quit driving long distance, and my (defensive) driving skills have improved for sure.

The problem is, other forms of transport aren't the safest too. Bus, car, and I guess even planes in Cambodia carry a bigger risk when riding than we are used to back home.
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

Simply tell her you can't afford a new bike and have a budget of $x. Give her the cash and make it her problem to solve. She will either be happy with that...or not.
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Ask the girl to have a look around for what she wants, then give her the money so she can buy the dream bike. It's the only way she will be happy, because if you get involved with the choice you will most likely take the wrong choice. Peer pressure and likes will most likely come from friends and family.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
MrBen87
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MrBen87 »

set a budget and let her choose ,simple
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

Freightdog wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:08 pm I’d say unwisely, you mentioned ‘young’ in the opening post, and if you don’t want such details to become gossip fodder for the audience, it would be advisable to apply some discretion, and not divulge more detail than is needed to canvas opinion on a specific topic.
I'm not trying to make a dig you in this post (just wanting to clarify beforehand), but in the OPs case, I think while there's a bunch of "us" embittered old coots who have been down this road with a Cambodian woman before, I think it's also fair to say there's already a bunch of red flags here, and it's not like a lot of us haven't seen this story before.

If the OP is mature and understands, sure fine, his decision...but it's obvious he's thin skinned and has little knowledge about this country yet he thinks he knows what he's doing so, I think we all know where this is going already.

I'm just trying to say that the happy middle ground would be a reasonable girl working together with her boyfriend, pulling their own weight in the relationship, and then they discuss what bike they can afford and get. Not the same "I want, now you buy for me." nonsense we've heard a thousands times.

Just saying, I don't think the criticism or even the snarkiness in this case was unjustified. OP needs a wakeup call before shit hits the fan.
CamboMan
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by CamboMan »

SlowJoe wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:18 pm
Freightdog wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:08 pm I’d say unwisely, you mentioned ‘young’ in the opening post, and if you don’t want such details to become gossip fodder for the audience, it would be advisable to apply some discretion, and not divulge more detail than is needed to canvas opinion on a specific topic.
I'm not trying to make a dig you in this post (just wanting to clarify beforehand), but in the OPs case, I think while there's a bunch of "us" embittered old coots who have been down this road with a Cambodian woman before, I think it's also fair to say there's already a bunch of red flags here, and it's not like a lot of us haven't seen this story before.

If the OP is mature and understands, sure fine, his decision...but it's obvious he's thin skinned and has little knowledge about this country yet he thinks he knows what he's doing so, I think we all know where this is going already.

I'm just trying to say that the happy middle ground would be a reasonable girl working together with her boyfriend, pulling their own weight in the relationship, and then they discuss what bike they can afford and get. Not the same "I want, now you buy for me." nonsense we've heard a thousands times.

Just saying, I don't think the criticism or even the snarkiness in this case was unjustified. OP needs a wakeup call before shit hits the fan.
OP is mature, knowledgable, not new in Cambodia, not naive, and just seeking to have his question answered = 'which motorbike ?', nothing else, Thank You
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

CamboMan wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:41 pm

OP is mature, knowledgable, not new in Cambodia, not naive, and just seeking to have his question answered = 'which motorbike ?', nothing else, Thank You
Best just to ask your girlfriend.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

CamboMan wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:41 pm
CamboMan wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:10 pm I have lived in Cambodia few years...
Try living here over the space of two decades, and then you can make that claim.

Anyway

Here's advice from an ex motorcycle and car dealer here (me).

Best bang for the buck, Wave Alpha 110.

Reliable, great engine, good price ($1.6k ish), low theft chances, etc. (Personally I think she'll say no).

Best new automatic bang for the buck, none of them.

Clicks (125 or 150) are water cooled and Cambodians rarely ever service the cooling system. 3-4 years later the motor is a mess and expensive to fix. Scoopies are almost $3k with all the options, out of your price range. Zoomer Xs are cheaper but wide, some girls like them though but still out of your price range. Suzukis and Yamahas (except the Qbix) have no resale value here and are bad investments, despite the better tech and often times being better built. Nexs, Let's, Filanos, Grand Filanos, Janus, Finos, etc...say goodbye to 50% of your money in a year.

Best easy to ride, easy to service, and not too expensive automatic

Giorno 50 19' model and up. Super light, easy to ride, easy to handle, has little gadgets like USB charging etc. Might complain it's "too small" though, so again...

You're probably going to be steered towards a Scoopy or Click which are going to be close to $3k for a well equipped model. Base models mid $2.5k.

Anything used over 2 or 3 years is a total crap shoot unless you're familiar with overhauling and reconditioning bikes.

That's strictly my motorcycle advice to you
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

That’s fine, and there’s plenty of individual stories shared about peoples lives, where things have panned out one way or another. But there is a very significant tendency for the question to go unanswered, while respondents will make enquiries about the circumstances for the question, and deviate on a tangent.
I’d say it’s probably quite off-putting for potential new members, whether they’ve just landed, or lurked for decades, that what is ostensibly a fairly clear question, can result in dialogue that does little to answer the question, (This post, included, as a consequence) but results in lots of unsolicited opinion and advice.

Motorbike for his girl- he goes on to detail some outline preferences, likes, etc. admits to little knowledge of bikes, and ask for input. About bikes.
For his girl.

Not whether his relationship is advisable, going to work out, whether his time spent in Cambodia is any less sufficient than anyone else’s, or whether he’s headed for doom. Maybe General Chatter isn’t the best place to ask the question, but I also suspect if it had been in “ask the expats”, the responses would likely have been the same.
Tommie
Expatriate
Norway

Post by Tommie »

How much would a Daelim Roadwin 125 cost me in cambodia?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic