Motorbike for my girl ... your advice ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Motorbike for my girl ... your advice ?

Post by phuketrichard »

a new honda wave, semi auto is $1,350
excellent bike> have had them for years, latest one was brought last july
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Motorbike for my girl ... your advice ?

Post by jah steu »

Honda Wave, or the equivalent Yamaha or Suzuki are all excellent motos and good value. New or second hand.
BUT as a few of the posters have pointed out, this is much more about status and face rather than sensible transport.
She will want a fully automatic moto, a Scoopy or similar, and she will grimace if offered a used moto.
This is generally the second ‘test’ between a Khmer girl and her western boyfriend (the first one being a new iPhone). If the girl does succeed in acquiring her shiny new Scoopy, then the requests will turn to a car, followed by a house. Some of them also want a business, usually either a hair and nails salon, or a small shop selling clothes or general goods.
This is all about who is in control of the relationship. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I am not really a "moto-guy", but what i learn in the years in phnom penh, is that girls often sell their bikes after 1 or 2 years to get almost their money back, because the price from the new-ones go up so quick. If thats true, i would say its a good idea to buy a new-one, and dont go for a second-hand. That of course if you can afford it, and you are sure you survive the bike with your relation, but be carefull, i know girls from 30+ who received a new bike from the family at 18 and still run on it (ofcourse Honda). If the bike is taken care of and isnt stolen, i think its a good investement, you skipp all the "heavy" tuktuk-invoices also, not !!?? I knever bought one, because about 50% of the time i will drive drunk on it, or just loose, forget or got stolen it. But most girls will keep it for manymany years !!
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:26 pm You should get an "old girlfriend" they will be happy with a bullock cart :hattip:
You’d think so wouldn’t you, but no, the ungrateful sod refused to pull the damn thing.
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

CamboMan wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:37 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:36 pm
CamboMan wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:10 pm My young Cambodian girlfriend ...
Whatever she wants lol - she won't be happy with anything else

I would suggest buying her nothing and seeing how long she sticks around without expensive gifts
I am only seeking a response to the question I ask, not your commentaries on something I did not ask. Thank You
I'm just going to put this out there, not for you (because you're obviously not going to listen) but for others.

You're coming at this from a perspective that she "needs" a bike, as in transportation. So you're searching for a new bike, and truthfully the Wave Alpha 110 (for around $1600 new) is going to be the best choice for getting something reliable, easy to maintain, useful, less theft prone, etc.

There's no comparison, the Dream is $2.4-2.5k with less features, the Scoopy is anywhere from $2,350 to $2,800 depending on features and packages, Zoomer Xs are cheaper ($1,700, at least at the dealer here in Kampot) but it's all irrelevant because she doesn't need a bike.

If you needed a bike, you could get by with a Daelim that's repaired and all shined up for $500 but no young girl is going to ride it. Even young men don't want to ride it. When I was doing business in Toul Tom Poung I remember the workers complained about the company's FREE motorcycles for them to ride if they didn't have anything, and they wouldn't get on it.

"Oh bong, too old. Grandpa moto."

Your girlfriend doesn't need a bike, she wants a nice bike, and she wants you to buy it because she can't buy it herself, it's that simple.

So reliability, bang for buck, quality, country of origin, fuel economy, whatever...all the stuff you might be thinking about to make the "best" decision has no relevance.

If it's not pretty, she wont want it, end of story, and for less than $2k you wont get ANYTHING she wants.

If you're fine with that, you'll need to spring upwards of $3k. New Scoopy, smart key, alloy wheels, CXII package maybe...then she'll be happy until she decides she wants more from you.

Don't be like me and find this out much later on in life. You can give her a brand new house, SUV, motos, a business and gold and it wont be enough.

/Rant over, but I feel like it needed to be said.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:43 pm
CamboMan wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:10 pm My young Cambodian girlfriend would like me to purchase her a ‘new’ motorbike. She lives and studies in Kratie (we do not yet live together). I have lived in Cambodia few years but know nothing about bikes, never had one. I see a new one will be in the range of 2000$, over my budget. My girl expresses some wishes but I would also appreciate ‘external’ advice : is new necessary or second-hand is good as well ? where to buy then to get a reliable machine ? And I started to do some research but the choice is so vast : Honda Dream, Wave, Viva, Click, Airblade, Zoomer, Scoopy, … What would you suggest ? Thks
All Honda's are pretty reliable machines, Wave giving you the most bang for your buck, but it's a poor men's Honda, disliked by many young girls.

She probably wants the newest Scoopy, like many girls that age, count on 2400-2600 USD for a new one. My guess is that all that's negotiable from your side is the color. Scoopy it will be. Some girls like the Zoomer, but not so many. Same price range.

If you can't afford it, forget it.Pretty young girls don't do second hand bikes, if you buy her one she'll probably sell it and borrow the rest to get a new Scoopy.
One addition, if you go for the Wave, try to find the one with the disc brake. The engine of that one is slightly more powerful but in Kratie the front brake will last longer than the standard drum brakes. Unfortunately the Wave with the disc brake is no longer for sale in Cambodia through Honda, I think it cannibalized the Honda Dream market, but you can find it second hand.
Whatever you do, don't buy her the Honda Dream. Even though it's the best bike when it come to resale value it's very prone to theft and way overpriced for what it has on offer compared to the Wave.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

All I can add is, that if you buy a new bike put it on time payment over 2 years as the company financing it will keep the papers for the bike until it is paid off. Which means it cannot be pawned or sold until fully paid off.
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:27 pm Unfortunately the Wave with the disc brake is no longer for sale in Cambodia through Honda...
They have them here in Kampot through NCX for $1600 something as 2022 models. Don't know about other stores or parts of the country.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

SlowJoe wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:31 pm
Kammekor wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:27 pm Unfortunately the Wave with the disc brake is no longer for sale in Cambodia through Honda...
They have them here in Kampot through NCX for $1600 something as 2022 models. Don't know about other stores or parts of the country.
Are you 100% sure? That would be a reason for me to visit Kampot. I've tried Ratanakiri, Kompong Cham, Kratie & Phnom Penh and miserably failed to find one. My current one (9 years old) is starting to show some wear & tear.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Tootsfriend wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:29 pm All I can add is, that if you buy a new bike put it on time payment over 2 years as the company financing it will keep the papers for the bike until it is paid off. Which means it cannot be pawned or sold until fully paid off.
At a 20% price hike......
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic