Mass Trial Sentences 31 to Jail, Cambodian-American Detained

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Mass Trial Sentences 31 to Jail, Cambodian-American Detained

Post by phuketrichard »

not much political freedom here it seems
Seng Chan Theary dressed as Lady Liberty earlier this morning.

Thirty-one opposition activists have been sentenced to six to eight years in jail for plotting and incitement, while another 20 had their sentences suspended, as the Phnom Penh Municipal Court issued CNRP mass-trial verdicts on Tuesday morning.

Scuffles earlier broke out on the road outside a CNRP mass-trial verdict hearing at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court as officers dragged away Seng Chan Theary, a Cambodian-American opposition activist.
In court, 12 were sentenced to eight years in jail, 19 others — including Chan Theary — to six years, and 20 had five-year sentences suspended. The situation was unclear for nine others originally part of the case.

Around 15 arrest warrants, mostly for CNRP leaders overseas including Sam Rainsy and Mu Sochua, were also issued.
https://vodenglish.news/mass-trial-verd ... o-custody/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Mass Trial Sentences 31 to Jail, Cambodian-American Detained

Post by Jerry Atrick »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:13 pm not much political freedom here it seems
Seng Chan Theary dressed as Lady Liberty earlier this morning.

Thirty-one opposition activists have been sentenced to six to eight years in jail for plotting and incitement, while another 20 had their sentences suspended, as the Phnom Penh Municipal Court issued CNRP mass-trial verdicts on Tuesday morning.

Scuffles earlier broke out on the road outside a CNRP mass-trial verdict hearing at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court as officers dragged away Seng Chan Theary, a Cambodian-American opposition activist.
In court, 12 were sentenced to eight years in jail, 19 others — including Chan Theary — to six years, and 20 had five-year sentences suspended. The situation was unclear for nine others originally part of the case.

Around 15 arrest warrants, mostly for CNRP leaders overseas including Sam Rainsy and Mu Sochua, were also issued.
https://vodenglish.news/mass-trial-verd ... o-custody/
Well their platform is essentially based on xenophobia, rather than any meaningful change, so fuck em
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by down_time »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:17 pm Well their platform is essentially based on xenophobia, rather than any meaningful change, so fuck em
I have to respectfully disagree. I'm no fan of Sam Rainsey but a significant number of those convicted have no affiliation with the CNRP despite them being constantly referred to as CNRP activists in the press.

Theary Seng (dressed as Lady Liberty) was the executive director of the Centre for Social Development, which largely focused on assuring a fair trial in the Khmer Rouge Tribunal. She then became president of the Center for Cambodian Civic Education, an organization that works on civic education, reconciliation and peace-building working with former victims of the Khmer Rouge. She is the author of Daughter of the Killing Fields.

She is an articulate, educated advocate for the dispossessed and as such a "problem" for those that benefit from the status quo. It is her vocal advocacy on human rights and land rights that has got her into trouble. Her lawyer has stated that no evidence was provided to the court linking her to the CNRP leaders with whom she was convicted. She is a US dual national and unlike others has committed to staying in Cambodia to advocate for reform, rather than take the easy option of self-exile. She has been convicted of treason ffs!

I know personally, Cambodians who have worked in the human right field for decades who are leaving because they know that they cannot do their jobs effectively and fear reprisals for saying or doing something to upset vested interests. The CPP have every seat in parliament and over 99.76% of commune council chief positions. Is this what democracy looks like?
Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in fear." ― President Harry S. Truman, August 8, 1950
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

down_time wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:07 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:17 pm Well their platform is essentially based on xenophobia, rather than any meaningful change, so fuck em
I have to respectfully disagree. I'm no fan of Sam Rainsey but a significant number of those convicted have no affiliation with the CNRP despite them being constantly referred to as CNRP activists in the press.

Theary Seng (dressed as Lady Liberty) was the executive director of the Centre for Social Development, which largely focused on assuring a fair trial in the Khmer Rouge Tribunal. She then became president of the Center for Cambodian Civic Education, an organization that works on civic education, reconciliation and peace-building working with former victims of the Khmer Rouge. She is the author of Daughter of the Killing Fields.

She is an articulate, educated advocate for the dispossessed and as such a "problem" for those that benefit from the status quo. It is her vocal advocacy on human rights and land rights that has got her into trouble. Her lawyer has stated that no evidence was provided to the court linking her to the CNRP leaders with whom she was convicted. She is a US dual national and unlike others has committed to staying in Cambodia to advocate for reform, rather than take the easy option of self-exile. She has been convicted of treason ffs!

I know personally, Cambodians who have worked in the human right field for decades who are leaving because they know that they cannot do their jobs effectively and fear reprisals for saying or doing something to upset vested interests. The CPP have every seat in parliament and over 99.76% of commune council chief positions. Is this what democracy looks like?
Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in fear." ― President Harry S. Truman, August 8, 1950
So, in paragraph three you are saying that, with the exception of Theary Seng, the rest of those convicted are CNRP activists and leaders?

But, two paragraphs above you assert that "a significant number of those convicted have no affiliation with the CNRP despite them being constantly referred to as CNRP activists in the press. "

Which is it?

Cambodia has never been ruled by what Americans consider a democracy, except in name. The same can be said for most countries in the region. Pressure from the "democratic" USA over the years and decades doesn't appear to have helped at all - quite the contrary.

I say let the Khmer sort out Cambodia from the inside they way they will
Apopheniac
Tourist

Post by Apopheniac »

down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by down_time »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:34 pm
down_time wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:07 pm Her lawyer has stated that no evidence was provided to the court linking her to the CNRP leaders with whom she was convicted.
So, in paragraph three you are saying that, with the exception of Theary Seng, the rest of those convicted are CNRP activists and leaders?

But, two paragraphs above you assert that "a significant number of those convicted have no affiliation with the CNRP despite them being constantly referred to as CNRP activists in the press. "

Which is it?

Cambodia has never been ruled by what Americans consider a democracy, except in name. The same can be said for most countries in the region. Pressure from the "democratic" USA over the years and decades doesn't appear to have helped at all - quite the contrary.

I say let the Khmer sort out Cambodia from the inside they way they will
Maybe I wasn't clear, I didn't mean to infer in the third paragraph all those with the exception of Theary Seng were CNRP activists and leaders.

My point was that the charges alleged that there was a plot between leaders such as Sam Rainsy, Mu Sochua and Eng Chhai Eang and the other defendants, some of which were CNRP activists and politicians, a number of whom had no such affiliation. Theary Seng is an example of one such defendant.

I understand the history of Cambodia and it's various governments, this is not about what is considered democracy by Americans or anyone else. It's simply about government by elected representation, which the Cambodian constitution (and many of its people) aspire to. You can't convince me that the current representation in national and local political structures represents the pluralism of the Cambodian population. I fully agree that Cambodians have to sort it out, the issue at hand is the shrinking space within which they can do that. In my experience many Cambodians are resigned to the current situation regardless of their politics, not because they support it but because they have seen what happens to those who reject it.
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by down_time »

Apopheniac wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:42 pm https://khmerstudies.org/post-cold-war- ... 5996093750
From about minute 40.00
Thank you, I will take a look. I had the good fortune to meet Benny Widyono two or three times and count as a good friend one former director of the Centre for Khmer studies. To be clear this is not about UNTAC, its failures and limitations are well documented.
Apopheniac
Tourist

Post by Apopheniac »

They move on from that 40 min point to discuss the current situation.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

This situation is certainly a weak point for those considering living in Cambodia as an expat. However, the problem is of course, that it's the norm throughout much of ASEAN (and beyond). Even Singapore is considered to be a de facto one-party state.

If the dominant party can keep the populace happy by providing progress, prosperity and development, then the stability and continuum of a dominant party actually seems preferable to a system with constant changes in government. Thus, it's the results that matter. Failed states such as Sri Lanka and Myanmar show what can still happen in the 21st century.

Ultimately, as expats there's very little we can do, other than be prepared to move to another country when things get too pear-shaped.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic