I have been making egg fried rice wrong all this time

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

I have been making egg fried rice wrong all this time

Post by IraHayes »

I mix the beaten eggs into the rice and mix it before scooping a portion out to fry it.
Once it’s in the wok I add some finely chopped, pre-cooked chicken and stir fry.

Apparently this isn’t how you make egg fried rice so what have I been making and eating?
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: I have been making egg fried rice wrong all this time

Post by Freightdog »

There are in fact many different ways which vary across Asia. Some I like, some I don’t. I like a simple egg fried rice, or just with prawns. I’m not a big fan of the local version, which is too busy. I’d say there’s no right or wrong way, as in some cases, it’s just a means of using up excess rice. Almost ideal in a country which has a habit of cooking too much, anyway. Except I find the local rice boiled a little too much.

Initially, I cooked mine the way a Chinese fella demonstrated, many moons ago.

Beaten egg.
Heat a pan or wok, and add a tablespoon of oil. Get it shimmering, add cooled boiled rice, then add and stir in the beaten egg, so that it coats the rice as you stir. About a minute or so. That was the basics, with embellishments as needed.

These days, I follow a different method.

Beaten eggs, with a good drop of sesame oil.

Add oil to a pan/wok and have it shimmering, before adding half the egg mixture, and start cooking almost as an omelette (Teppanyaki style), then add the rice, breaking up the egg into the rice before it cooks fully.

Then add the remaining egg directly onto the pan, and stir the rice through that, to drag finer bits of egg through the rice. You end up with small tendrils and larger bits.
Two table spoons of soy sauce. I like kikkoman
Handful of chipped spring onions.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

The correct way is get a nice cold beer sit on the lounge and get your Missus to cook it. :stir:
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

I'm "weird", in that I cook the eggs in a separate pan than the rice. I like to cook and coat the rice with the cooking oils (sesame, soybean/sunflower, sometimes olive), soy sauce, peppers, garnishings (onions, chopped garlic, etc.), and then after the egg is cooked, chop it up and place on top of rice separately in bowl. Cilantro, parsley and hot sauce goes on top of the eggs.

Or if I don't scramble the egg, I cook it to have a runny yolk sunny side up.

Or I cook an omelet and put that on top of the seasoned rice, Japanese call "omu-raisu".

Just variations on eggs and rice.

Like this but not curry rice...

-insert signature here
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Yeah, you are weird. That isn't egg fried rice. It's a fried egg on top of fried rice. It's supposed to me mixed together.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
one_dolla
Expatriate

Post by one_dolla »

precook the veggies etc
separate the egg yolk from the white... add yesterdays rice to the pan with castol GTX err popeyes girl err oh aye extra virgin olive oil micks in the egg whites ( if thats not pc then micks in the non yolk part of the egg but not the shell) then add the precooked veggies meats etc...whatever you have then mix (no more Micks) in the yellow part of the egg ( if thats not pc add the yolks)
oddly I am just about to do this as when I get a Veg Thali from Simons in Kampot plenty rice left over to do this !
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I fucking hate fried rice

I believe this hatred stems from my dislike of regular rice.
snookieboi
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by snookieboi »

IraHayes wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:06 pm I mix the beaten eggs into the rice and mix it before scooping a portion out to fry it.
Once it’s in the wok I add some finely chopped, pre-cooked chicken and stir fry.

Apparently this isn’t how you make egg fried rice so what have I been making and eating?
Watch them do it with street kitchens. They do it differently depending which Country.
But you either fry garlic first, then add egg and stir-fry, adding rice.
Or after the Garlic you add the rice, then top with beaten egg and stir untill its cooked, adding veg. Plenty utube videos out there.
More than just any old backpacker.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

So no one here mixes the cooked rice with the eggs before placing that mix into the wok?
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

IraHayes wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:58 pm So no one here mixes the cooked rice with the eggs before placing that mix into the wok?
In a word. No.

Another simple method that I’ve seen used frequently is to start frying the pre cooked rice, and to crack an egg directly into the mix, and briskly stir in.
Part egg whites, yoke, mixed and coated, all at once. Makes sense as it’s less bowls involved, which if there’s no other person doing the cooking, there may be a deficit of plate washers, too.

One thing that they do here (SWMBO isn’t a big fan of my rice) is to use Salt, MSG and sugar. I don’t add any seasoning beyond the soy sauce.

If I’m cooking prawns with the rice, they get marinaded in a little chilli and rice wine. Start to sauté them until they begin to change colour, then add them to the fried rice so that they finish cooking with the rice. The rice then has traces of the marinade, but is still its own thing.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic