Rant: fatal traffic accident

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Re: Rant: fatal traffic accident

Post by Ghostwriter »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:49 pm In France at a junction or roundabout the vehicle that is approaching from the right has priority over the one approaching from the left.
Only if there is no marking on the road.
But usually you have a dotted line behind which you have to wait your turn on most crossings and roundabouts, or a stop line at crossings, except for minor roundabouts and crossing in some residential areas and some exceptions here & there. Scarce.

So don't foolishly engage such marked intersections thinking that you have the priority whatever the white markings, that wouldn't end well.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:23 pm
John Bingham wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:49 pm
willyhilly wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:27 pm I read years ago that French law says that pulling out in front of traffic is legal. They must give way. If true Khmers bad habits make sense. Any French allowed on here and can comment?
The priorité à droite rule – or priority from the right – has a simple basis but some complicated applications.

Essentially, because the French drive on the right hand side of the road, at a junction or roundabout the vehicle that is approaching from the right has priority over the one approaching from the left.
https://www.thelocal.fr/20190808/how-do ... in-france/
Haha,that's a new one. "What did the French ever do for us ?" Taught Khmers bad driving habits. :mrgreen:

More seriously, most Cambodians learn to drive a motorbike when they are kids and are basically self-taught. IMO these driving habits learnt as a kid remain with people when they start to drive a car. When you've driven a certain way all your life, then it's not a few road rules that are going to change your mindset.
A main factor is that no license is required under 125cc hence no test hence no knowledge of the road code. Most bikes are under 125, so most riders have no idea who gives way, what traffic signs mean, or what a one way street is. That's the root of the problem.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

hdgh29 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:54 pm A main factor is that no license is required under 125cc hence no test hence no knowledge of the road code. Most bikes are under 125, so most riders have no idea who gives way, what traffic signs mean, or what a one way street is. That's the root of the problem.
I think the bigger root of the problem is that too many of them just don't give a shit...
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Ghostwriter wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:22 am
John Bingham wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:49 pm In France at a junction or roundabout the vehicle that is approaching from the right has priority over the one approaching from the left.
Only if there is no marking on the road.
But usually you have a dotted line behind which you have to wait your turn on most crossings and roundabouts, or a stop line at crossings, except for minor roundabouts and crossing in some residential areas and some exceptions here & there. Scarce.

So don't foolishly engage such marked intersections thinking that you have the priority whatever the white markings, that wouldn't end well.
Sure, I just copied and pasted that, it gives further details in the link.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Alex wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:18 am
pissontheroof wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:11 pm they dont enforce wearing helmets law in siem reap anymore , they used to . i paid $15 one time , that was it .
i used to pay $1 or $2 in sihanoukville
i dont mind paying , its too hot here for a helmet and it feels good without it ..
It feels good unless and until your head hits the pavement, that is. Each to their own though - your head, your choice.
Don’t worry .
No chance . I don’t drive in risky situations anymore
doubt the $3 helmet i carry ( just in case I see a checkpoint ) could help much any way .
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic