Rant: fatal traffic accident

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Rant: fatal traffic accident

Post by SlowJoe »

pissontheroof wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:11 pm i dont mind paying , its too hot here for a helmet and it feels good without it ..
I don't know how these expats here ride bicycles all over the place. I can barely ride my scooter when the sun is out, and if I have to walk anywhere I start to shake and get nauseous, usually turning pale in the process.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

pissontheroof wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:11 pm they dont enforce wearing helmets law in siem reap anymore , they used to . i paid $15 one time , that was it .
i used to pay $1 or $2 in sihanoukville
i dont mind paying , its too hot here for a helmet and it feels good without it ..
It feels good unless and until your head hits the pavement, that is. Each to their own though - your head, your choice.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

SlowJoe wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:55 am
pissontheroof wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:11 pm i dont mind paying , its too hot here for a helmet and it feels good without it ..
I don't know how these expats here ride bicycles all over the place. I can barely ride my scooter when the sun is out, and if I have to walk anywhere I start to shake and get nauseous, usually turning pale in the process.
I cycle 16kms everyday but than i'm not in PP<:-)
In Kep i never wear a helmet, but when i travel to Kampot always have one one>

Khmers are terrible, inconsiderate drivers
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I wear a helmet all the time, even on a pushbike. Seen too many colleagues get killed because they thought a helmet was inconvenient/hot/messes up the hair.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Where we in the west are taught to be aware of everything around our vehicles, what's behind and to both sides, at all times, I was once told that the only thing Khmers are 'taught' when learning to drive is not to hit whatever is in front of you. The theory being that if everyone follows this rule, accidents would be impossible.

Once I learned this, many Khmer driving habits started to fall into place.
Joining a main road from a side road? Just drive straight out without looking - you're automatically in front of oncoming traffic which means it's their job to give way to you.
Crossing a busy road to join the adjacent road? Again, just drive straight out into oncoming traffic. It's their job to give way to you, as you are in front of them.
Pulling out from a parked position? Don't bother using your mirrors and waiting for a safe gap in the traffic. Just pull straight out - no need to even indicate. So long as you're in front of oncoming traffic, it's their job to read your mind and act accordingly.

You see - it all makes sense now don't it?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

xandreu wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:25 pm Where we in the west are taught to be aware of everything around our vehicles, what's behind and to both sides, at all times, I was once told . The theory being that if everyone follows this rule, accidents would be impossible.

Once I learned this, many Khmer driving habits started to fall into place.
Joining a main road from a side road? Just drive straight out without looking - you're automatically in front of oncoming traffic which means it's their job to give way to you.
Crossing a busy road to join the adjacent road? Again, just drive straight out into oncoming traffic. It's their job to give way to you, as you are in front of them.
Pulling out from a parked position? Don't bother using your mirrors and waiting for a safe gap in the traffic. Just pull straight out - no need to even indicate. So long as you're in front of oncoming traffic, it's their job to read your mind and act accordingly.

You see - it all makes sense now don't it?
Plenty of drivers in the west with zero awareness of what's going on also; and a great many of them wouldn't last five minutes on the roads here without being involved in an accident.

Whoever told you that that the only thing Khmers are 'taught' when learning to drive is not to hit whatever is in front of them was talking shit btw; driving school here is crap but they are made to learn a good percentage of the traffic code; it's the bribes to pass that test that mean many fairly oblivious road users are around

willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

I read years ago that French law says that pulling out in front of traffic is legal. They must give way. If true Khmers bad habits make sense. Any French allowed on here and can comment?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

willyhilly wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:27 pm I read years ago that French law says that pulling out in front of traffic is legal. They must give way. If true Khmers bad habits make sense. Any French allowed on here and can comment?
The priorité à droite rule – or priority from the right – has a simple basis but some complicated applications.

Essentially, because the French drive on the right hand side of the road, at a junction or roundabout the vehicle that is approaching from the right has priority over the one approaching from the left.
https://www.thelocal.fr/20190808/how-do ... in-france/
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:49 pm
willyhilly wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:27 pm I read years ago that French law says that pulling out in front of traffic is legal. They must give way. If true Khmers bad habits make sense. Any French allowed on here and can comment?
The priorité à droite rule – or priority from the right – has a simple basis but some complicated applications.

Essentially, because the French drive on the right hand side of the road, at a junction or roundabout the vehicle that is approaching from the right has priority over the one approaching from the left.
https://www.thelocal.fr/20190808/how-do ... in-france/
Haha,that's a new one. "What did the French ever do for us ?" Taught Khmers bad driving habits. :mrgreen:

More seriously, most Cambodians learn to drive a motorbike when they are kids and are basically self-taught. IMO these driving habits learnt as a kid remain with people when they start to drive a car. When you've driven a certain way all your life, then it's not a few road rules that are going to change your mindset.
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

The "right has priority" rule is the same in Germany. Nothing special about it, and yes, if you come from a right side corner, others have to give way, BUT
1) you have to look anyway. Just speed through and causing an accident gives you a certain amount of fault as well (worst case each party has to pay its own damage)
2) does not apply if there are priority signs (valid for one crossroad) or if one of the roads is a priority road (the squared sunny side up street sign)
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic