Snookyville Power

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Sailorman
Expatriate

Snookyville Power

Post by Sailorman »

So what's with the daily power outages in Sihanoukville? I thought the Chinese built a 500 Mega-Watt power plant here to stop the countries dependence on power from Vietnam? Looks to me like the Bozo'z at Snookyville power can't keep their act together.

When we used to depend on diesel generators we would get some short power outages (to go along with the days long outages.) Since I worked with big/very big diesel generators it was my opinion that when they want to switch from one generator to another they had turn off power, then bring the other generator on line. Usually (anywhere else in the world), you have the one generator on line, you start the other one, bring the sine wave of the two into phase and bring the second one on line and turn the first one off.

Looks like the Snooky power authority is having problems distributing the power they have. (TIC)(This Is Cambodia.) Maybe some general needed a new Lexus so he sold the copper power lines.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Snookyville Power

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Sailorman wrote:Maybe some general needed a new Lexus so he sold the copper power lines.
:plus1:

Be thankful you're not living in SR, they've been having massive power outages lately, lasting several days in some areas.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

The electricity companies buy diesel with revenue from consumers. Some of that goes into pockets, and the shortfall is covered by claiming there's not enough power.

They get richer, consumers pay and get less electricity for a period, then back to full production, 3 months later, same cycle.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Rolling (presumably) outages in TTP last night, seemed to be a pattern to which houses along each street were out, with everyone out with torches and ladders playing at the meters. I thought these things were managed by whole streets or suburbs.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

Mine hasn't gone off at all this week downtown. Last week it was off-on-off-on-off-on. Now you could probably live w/out a generator. It's a lot better than when I moved here
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Indeed, it's way better.

I don't actually care about Mon-Fri during the week, just nights and weekends I want power.
Captain Steve Rogers
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Captain Steve Rogers »

vladimir wrote:Indeed, it's way better.

I don't actually care about Mon-Fri during the week, just nights and weekends I want power.
I want decent power at all times, I want to complete my work without being worried about power shortages.
"HOME OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE".
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Sailorman wrote:So what's with the daily power outages in Sihanoukville?
Maybe the guy who was paying for all the power, recently relocated to Russia. :(
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Captain Steve Rogers wrote:
vladimir wrote:Indeed, it's way better.

I want decent power at all times, I want to complete my work without being worried about power shortages.
Well, you picked a winner in Cambodia, didn't you?

I live din Thailand for 3 years before I came here. Not one single outage. Not one.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

been playing up in my area, doesnt normally stay off for too long though
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic