January 6th Committee Public Hearings

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

January 6th Committee Public Hearings

Post by down_time »

Reading the news this morning as I had breakfast, I realised the public hearings were starting, thinking it may be of interest I flicked on MSNBC and was absolutely gripped for the first hour while (mainly) Liz Cheney summarised the case against Trump et al. New video, witness testimony and documents were laid out excoriating Trump and his backers. The 10 minute video of the timeline of the various events of the day with CGI of the capital locations and unseen bodycam footage and video was fascinating. Bill Barr and Ivanka Trumps testimony was particularly interesting, as was a British documentarian who was embedded with the Proud Boys and caught on tape through a car window a meeting between the leaders of the Proud Boys and Oathkeepers in an undergound car park discussing their plans for that day!
The House committee investigating the deadly Jan. 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol began its first in a series of long-awaited public hearings Thursday by revealing new footage of the riot and testimony to make the case that the deadly attack was the direct result of then-President Donald Trump's attempts to cling to power.

The committee promised that the six additional hearings that have been scheduled will make it clear how Trump supporters came to lay siege to the Capitol to block members of Congress from formalizing Joe Biden’s victory in the 2020 presidential election.
  • The committee aired sober, never-seen-before testimony from ally after ally, including Trump’s daughter Ivanka Trump, admitting they knew Trump's stolen election claims were unfounded.
  • Capitol Police Officer Caroline Edwards testified that she was "slipping in people's blood" as she battled rioters.
  • Rep. Bennie Thompson, the chair of the committee, argued that Jan. 6 was the "culmination of an attempted coup" coordinated by extremist groups like the Proud Boys answering Trump's call.
  • Republicans cast the hearing as a partisan distraction.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/live-b ... -rcna32135

Skip to the 5 minute mark for the opening statement from Committee Chair Mississippi Rep. Bennie Thompson.

Unbelievably Fox News is refusing to show any of the hearings with Tucker Carlson on air describing the whole event as "propaganda".
https://www.politifact.com/article/2022 ... -heard-tu/

I don't understand how anyone can watch the evidence and testimony today AND IN GOOD FAITH argue that Trump did not orchestrate an attempted coup. It turns out it was actually Vice-President Pence that stepped up and directed the police, national guard and defense department to quash the insurrection while Trump refused to act.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Re: January 6th Committee Public Hearings

Post by Random Dude »

It doesn't seem like that long ago when a huge deal was being made of Obama wearing a tan coloured suit and then some other drama about putting mustard on his food.

Then came 4 years of what seemed like an episode from the Simpsons, where every other week something outrageous or monumentally stupid was happening with it culminating in this. And the sad thing is I really don't expect any real change or consequences to come out of this complete shit show.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

I don't understand how anyone can watch the evidence and testimony today AND IN GOOD FAITH argue that Trump did not orchestrate an attempted coup. It turns out it was actually Vice-President Pence that stepped up and directed the police, national guard and defense department to quash the insurrection while Trump refused to act

I don't understand how anyone can watch 2,000 mules AND IN GOOD FAITH argue the election wasn't rigged.
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by down_time »

Cooldude wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:19 pm I don't understand how anyone can watch 2,000 mules AND IN GOOD FAITH argue the election wasn't rigged.
I think your post is known as "Whataboutery". Bill Barr, Trumps second AG selected because of his fealty, is on record describing the claims of a stolen election as "Bullshit". Ivanka his own daughter is also on record saying she believes and respects Barr's assessment over her own father's claims.

I haven't watched 2000 Mules and despite having a copy I'm undecided if I will or not. I attempted to watch Dinesh D'Souza's (and wife's) documentary "Hillary's America: The Secret History of the Democratic Party" and had to turn it off as it was so terrible. He seemed to have lost his grip on reality with some of the nonsense puported to be "facts" and "evidence".

If you seriously have any credible evidence to support the theories of a "rigged" election please provide details, I'm honestly open minded to the idea. The fact remains Trump lost something like 60 lawsuits over those claims, many thrown out by Republican appointed judges. Rudy Guiliani even had his license to practice law suspended for bringing frivolous suits and making false and misleading statements in connection with attempts to overturn the election results.

One film made by a guy with at best a "questionable record" of editorial integrity doesn't "prove" anything.
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by down_time »

Random Dude wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:10 pm And the sad thing is I really don't expect any real change or consequences to come out of this complete shit show.
That seems to be the sad reality. Jonathan Haidt a social psychologist has been looking at the issue of polarisation for quite a while and has written a few interesting books on the subject. I would recommend his recent article - Why the Past 10 Years of American Life Have Been Uniquely Stupid - It’s not just a phase. - https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... el/629369/
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Big fan of Haidt's work in social psychology. Interesting and useful.

PS-Don't care about Jan. 6. Tempest in a teapot. The narcissistic overreaction of our "leaders" says more than the earnest but misguided trespassers.
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by down_time »

Big Daikon wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:21 pm Big fan of Haidt's work in social psychology. Interesting and useful.
PS-Don't care about Jan. 6. Tempest in a teapot. The narcissistic overreaction of our "leaders" says more than the earnest but misguided trespassers.
Certainly agree on Haidt but to call ALL those involved on Jan 6th "earnest but misguided trespassers" risks ignoring the seriousness of what went down.

Below is 11 minutes of video showing the developments of that day. The last 3-4 minutes especially, showing the violence at the entrances to the Capitol building really should put paid to the idea that there was not some serious violence committed by SOME of those involved against police officers charged with barring the unlawful entry of a mob to prevent the certification of a democratic election.

This government, the offspring of our own choice, has a just claim to your confidence and your support. Respect for its authority, compliance with its laws, are duties enjoined by the fundamental maxims of true liberty. But the Constitution which at any time exists is sacredly obligatory upon all. The power and the right of the people to establish government presupposes the duty of every individual to obey the established government.

All obstructions to the execution of the laws; to direct, control or counteract the action of the constituted authorities, are destructive of this fundamental principle, and of fatal tendency. They serve to organize faction, to put, in the place of the delegated will of the nation, the will of a small but artful and enterprising minority; and, to make the administration the mirror of the ill-concerted and incongruous projects of faction.

However the above description may now and then answer popular ends, they are likely, to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the power of the people and to usurp for themselves the reins of government, destroying afterwards the very engines which have lifted them to unjust dominion.

George Washington’s Farewell Address (1796)
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

That quoted excerpt from Washington should be mandatory reading and committed to memory (in the US) and would be good for a great many, US citizen or otherwise, to inwardly digest.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

down_time wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:18 pm
Certainly agree on Haidt but to call ALL those involved on Jan 6th "earnest but misguided trespassers" risks ignoring the seriousness of what went down.

Below is 11 minutes of video showing the developments of that day. The last 3-4 minutes especially, showing the violence at the entrances to the Capitol building really should put paid to the idea that there was not some serious violence committed by SOME of those involved against police officers charged with barring the unlawful entry of a mob to prevent the certification of a democratic election.
I would agree with that. Some of the folks there got into scuffles. I still think the violence was rather mild (fisticuffs, not firearms) compared to other events in the US.

I also think that the treatment of the Jan. 6 people is wildly exaggerated. Solitary confinement, heavy sentencing.

PS-Your video link didn't work.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Big Daikon wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:29 pm
down_time wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:18 pm

I would agree with that. Some of the folks there got into scuffles. I still think the violence was rather mild (fisticuffs, not firearms) compared to other events in the US.

I also think that the treatment of the Jan. 6 people is wildly exaggerated. Solitary confinement, heavy sentencing.

PS-Your video link didn't work.
Apart from the fact that 5 people died the day, shouting "Lynch Pence" is not exactly mild, nor is the fact that a car full of guns was found nearby. If he hadn't been for the Capitol Police and some dumb luck, this could well have become a bloodbath.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic