January 6th Committee Public Hearings

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: January 6th Committee Public Hearings

Post by Big Daikon »

hanno wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:07 pm Apart from the fact that 5 people died the day, shouting "Lynch Pence" is not exactly mild, nor is the fact that a car full of guns was found nearby. If he hadn't been for the Capitol Police and some dumb luck, this could well have become a bloodbath.
Weren't the 5 who died all Trump supporters? The woman was fatally shot by a cop and three or four had medical emergencies. Tragedies all, of course.

Yeah, that guy with the vehicle filled with guns got four years recently.

Another thing, four cops who were on duty that day "committed suicide" later.
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/office ... 021-08-02/
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Big Daikon wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:29 pm
I would agree with that. Some of the folks there got into scuffles. I still think the violence was rather mild (fisticuffs, not firearms) compared to other events in the US.

I also think that the treatment of the Jan. 6 people is wildly exaggerated. Solitary confinement, heavy sentencing.

PS-Your video link didn't work.
Three of the policemen on duty at the Capitol that day committed suicide during the aftermath because their world was rocked by these events. Rather mild? Have you seen the video's of the protesters beating up policemen with everything available at the time?
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by down_time »

Big Daikon wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:29 pm I still think the violence was rather mild (fisticuffs, not firearms) compared to other events in the US.
PS-Your video link didn't work.
Capitol Police Officer Caroline Edwards testifying about the "rather mild" violence she encountered that day. Starts with video of her being knocked unconscious, after which she returned to the line where she was then sprayed with an unknown chemical, then teargassed (not on video) before she could get to an aid station to wash her eyes. She then comments on it being "like a warzone", and slipping in her coleagues blood. This is not a leftie liberal, she's a trained police officer, granddaughter of a Korean War veteran. Powerful stuff.

P.S. Video's do work, the pop-up when you first click is useless, close it and click play again and the video will stream in the same page, sorry, don't use YouTube.

Did they also not find pipebombs in the aftermath?
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

down_time wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:42 pm Capitol Police Officer Caroline Edwards testifying about the "rather mild" violence she encountered that day. Starts with video of her being knocked unconscious, after which she returned to the line where she was then sprayed with an unknown chemical, then teargassed (not on video) before she could get to an aid station to wash her eyes. She then comments on it being "like a warzone", and slipping in her coleagues blood. This is not a leftie liberal, she's a trained police officer, granddaughter of a Korean War veteran. Powerful stuff.

P.S. Video's do work, the pop-up when you first click is useless, close it and click play again and the video will stream in the same page, sorry, don't use YouTube.

Did they also not find pipebombs in the aftermath?
Got the video to work. Clicked the other button. Thank you.

The cop's testimony is a bit over the top, to say the least. Police are trained for such scenarios. (As an aside, now we care about cops? Interesting.)

My original statement of "rather mild" still stands. Perhaps "comparatively mild" would have been better.
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by down_time »

Big Daikon wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:59 pm The cop's testimony is a bit over the top, to say the least. Police are trained for such scenarios. (As an aside, now we care about cops? Interesting.)

My original statement of "rather mild" still stands. Perhaps "comparatively mild" would have been better.
Her testimony is a first person witness account so obviously it has bias from her own perspective and is certainly emotive but consider the fact (as someone else has mentioned) that the experience caused 4 officers to commit suicide, that would lend credibility to the idea it was a traumatic event for some. She does explicitly say in the video she was trained for crowd control but not on the level of that day.

Who is the we in your aside about cops? not sure of your point tbh. From what time/event is the image you posted, I'm guessing a BLM rally/riot?
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

All of this shit went down because of a conspiracy theory and a lie. If there had been any truth to a “rigged election” the DOJ would have found something, but they didn’t.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

down_time wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:35 pm Her testimony is a first person witness account so obviously it has bias from her own perspective and is certainly emotive but consider the fact (as someone else has mentioned) that the experience caused 4 officers to commit suicide, that would lend credibility to the idea it was a traumatic event for some. She does explicitly say in the video she was trained for crowd control but not on the level of that day.

Who is the we in your aside about cops? not sure of your point tbh. From what time/event is the image you posted, I'm guessing a BLM rally/riot?
Yeah, that was a BLM riot from 2020. We, the people who were yelling "F THE POLICE" and "BURN IT DOWN", suddenly care about cops' lives and law& order. Very selective and suspicious to me.

Four cops commit suicide much later? Also very suspicious.

My original point about not caring much about Jan. 6 is that 2020 saw horrifying violence that was largely condoned or excused by the elite. Since then, we are looking at massive increases in murder, traffic fatalities and almost every other crime. I, and quite a few other Americans, really don't care much about the hijinks of Jan. 6. It may seem callous, because it is.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

But but but but
Deflect deflect deflect deflect
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by down_time »

Big Daikon wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:13 pm Four cops commit suicide much later? Also very suspicious.
Are you suggesting that the police that were reported to have committed suicide actually came to some sort of nefarious ends?
Is his wife a crisis actor? That sort of slur disrespects his family and his service.
The widow of an officer who died by suicide after responding to the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol is pressing Congress to pass legislation recognizing the trauma suffered by law enforcement officers who take their own lives, which she told CBS News would be a fitting legacy for her husband.

The city had ruled that her husband's suicide — nine days after Jan. 6, 2021 — was caused by injuries sustained in battling the rioters, and as such, his death was found to have occurred in the line of duty.

Body camera footage obtained by CBS News appears to show that Jeff Smith was the target of multiple assaults on Jan. 6, at least once inside the Capitol and then again a few hours later — outside at the west front of the Capitol. The images of the attack were pivotal to Erin's efforts to change the designation of her husband's death. "I think the physical attack on him changed him," said Erin, who petitioned D.C. to consider the possibility that Jeff had suffered a brain injury during the attack. "If he didn't go to work that day, he'd still be here."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/january-6- ... s-suicide/
As for the BLM protest/riot I think it's a bit disingenuous to compare a public protest with associated violence to a mob, encouraged by the President, violently storming the Capitol with the deliberate and stated aim of preventing Congress certifying the result of an election. Violence should be condemned whoever commits it but the two events are not comparable, clearly.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

The witnesses from Trump's staff and family make all very clear.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic