Drinking days. Poll.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

How many days a week do you have drink?

0. My body's a temple.
12%
1 or 2 days a week.
21%
2 or 3 days a week.
13%
Most days.
31%
Every day.
24%

Total votes: 68
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Drinking days. Poll.

Post by Anchor Moy »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:32 pm
Clutch Cargo wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:23 pm I've heard the glib comment a number of random times that expats in Cambodia are all alcoholics. I know, bit of a throw away line but maybe some truth in it too..

Anyway, so far this poll doesn't show that.. Is it a myth or are some not owning up on this poll?
It's possibly because a large proportion of posters don't live in Cambodia. If they did they would probably drink every day.
Exactly. Due to the heat and the humidity factor, you need to drink more liquids in Cambodia, so drinking beer is an important daily source of hydration for expats and locals alike. ;-)
Cambodian beer doesn't really count as an alcoholic beverage, is freely available and cheaper than fancy mineral water, and also has less germs than the big blue water bottles. What's not to like ?
:wink:
Eco-friendly hint:
Spoiler:
Drink beer in Cambodia to combat poverty: YES YOU!
Every can of beer that you buy at your mom and pop shop helps keep the family afloat; and don't forget that all the beer cans are recycled, creating job opportunities for the enterprising ecologically-minded self-employed. :beer3:
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

My drinking is sporadic. I aim to have some whiskey on the rocks every evening, but I often forget about it. I think I'd have a different answer to your poll depending on which week I answer, as I sometimes go a few weeks and realize I haven't had a drink in ages and then change that immediately. :beer1:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Was given a nice bottle of single malt for my birthday, so my drinking days went up to seven days a week. May change, may not.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

General Mackevili wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:28 am My drinking is sporadic. I aim to have some whiskey on the rocks every evening, but I often forget about it. I think I'd have a different answer to your poll depending on which week I answer, as I sometimes go a few weeks and realize I haven't had a drink in ages and then change that immediately. :beer1:
How's your sleep pattern going? Sporadic too? :D
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:53 pm
General Mackevili wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:28 am My drinking is sporadic. I aim to have some whiskey on the rocks every evening, but I often forget about it. I think I'd have a different answer to your poll depending on which week I answer, as I sometimes go a few weeks and realize I haven't had a drink in ages and then change that immediately. :beer1:
How's your sleep pattern going? Sporadic too? :D
Nope. The baby now drinks as well.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:07 am
John Bingham wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:32 pm
Clutch Cargo wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:23 pm I've heard the glib comment a number of random times that expats in Cambodia are all alcoholics. I know, bit of a throw away line but maybe some truth in it too..

Anyway, so far this poll doesn't show that.. Is it a myth or are some not owning up on this poll?
It's possibly because a large proportion of posters don't live in Cambodia. If they did they would probably drink every day.
Exactly. Due to the heat and the humidity factor, you need to drink more liquids in Cambodia, so drinking beer is an important daily source of hydration for expats and locals alike. ;-)
Cambodian beer doesn't really count as an alcoholic beverage, is freely available and cheaper than fancy mineral water, and also has less germs than the big blue water bottles. What's not to like ?
:wink:
Eco-friendly hint:
Spoiler:
Drink beer in Cambodia to combat poverty: YES YOU!
Every can of beer that you buy at your mom and pop shop helps keep the family afloat; and don't forget that all the beer cans are recycled, creating job opportunities for the enterprising ecologically-minded self-employed. :beer3:
Drink 3l of mineral water at least per day and you'll be in better shape; beer over 3% abv is a diuretic and is empirically NOT good for hydration or health

That said, it's prob not much worse than the RO treated water either and can be tasty so. . .
vivathedivas
BANNED
Australia

Post by vivathedivas »

I sat myself down and asked myself why I drink.

Taste had almost nothing to do with it, likewise refreshment. One ice cold beer when I haven't had one for ages, on a very hot summer day being the exception. The second one doesn't have the same effect.

Then, I'm also spending between $150-200/month on drink.

Time to cut down.
Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

Beer under 5% we call in belgium cat-piss, under 3% isnt even beer for us.
I drink only in the weekends and sometimes on wednesday. I learn from one of my exes (a nurse) that your liver needs detox at least every week. If i get drunk on sundayevening, i think after 60 hours on wednesday-afternoon it has been detoxed.
useally i stay with Anchor even its under 5%, dont tell anybody in belgium, because i would be called a cat-piss-drinker !!
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Haven’t had a drink since October last year when I came back home from Minnesota, but that’s gonna change when I drive up there next week to go on my cousins annual boat trip on the Mississippi River from Red Wing, MN to La Crosse, Wi for his birthday. I’ll be there until early September, and I’ll be putting ‘em back 4-5 days a week, if not more.

I’m sure when I get to Cambodia it will be a daily ritual, because it will be more like a vacation for me initially, but then I will get bored with just drinking every day and night and will find a hobby or some kind of recreational activity to pass the time. But I won’t NOT tear it up occasionally 😀, yeah I know, a double negative.

But going out and chilling out at night, putting a few back without getting sloshed while checking out the scenery will more than likely be my mantra.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

One has revived the old pink gin, and following some further daytime encouragement, it has become a frequent source of fortitude while reading through copious amounts of technical drivel.

That’s the proper pink gin, with bitters, not this namby-pamby strawberry or raspberry infused shite.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic