UK Flight Chaos - Who's at Fault ?

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

UK Flight Chaos - Who's at Fault ?

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Flight cancellations – live: Tui customers ‘abandoned’ and easyJet planes grounded
Travellers trying to get away ahead of Jubilee face queues, delays and cancellations
Helen Coffey

Police tell Manchester Airport passengers their holidays are cancelled amid travel chaos

British holidaymakers hoping to jet off this week face continuing travel disruption across the UK, with widespread airport queues, flight delays and cancellations.

Britain’s biggest budget airline, easyJet, has cancelled at least 40 domestic and European flights on Wednesday – mainly to and from its biggest base, London Gatwick airport.

Meanwhile, it has emerged that police were called in to help hundreds of Tui passengers “abandoned” on the runway at Manchester airport for three hours on Sunday.

Grant Shapps is the latest politician to weigh in, laying the blame for the chaos squarely on the travel industry.
The transport secretary accused airlines and tour operators of “seriously overselling flights and holidays”.
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/ne ... 91454.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: UK Flight Chaos - Who's at Fault ?

Post by Freightdog »

We’re a year on plus, from Brexit. With Brexit came a whole change of system for the UK aviation sector.
Add in a global pandemic, which left much of the world in chaos. But the UK especially was pretty much on its own!

It’s of little surprise to many within the aviation industry, as every sector has demonstrated a continuing lack of forethought. Regulation especially. You’d think that the COVID+pandemic is a worst case scenario, which it largely is. But it actually highlights many deeper set inadequacies.

Eg? I’m still awaiting my licence re-issue some 10 months since re-applying. Despite having been in the UK system since early ‘90s. I’m not alone.

The government; several iterations of, have left the UK severely under resourced, and poorly prepared.
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Element6 »

Freightdog are you referring to your drivers license?

I renewed my expired on at Easter online and had the new one within a week (including change of address) so seems something may have gone astray for you
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

The problem seems to revolve around the transition between EASA states, and then the regeneration of the various records, including my TRI and various ratings. Plus! There’s always a plus.
Different CAAs seem to do things differently within EASA. Standard forms are not nearly as standard as one might imagine, and each CAA has its own idea of what warrants a response time.
The UK, for instance, abide by a charter where they normally have up to 6 weeks to process or respond, and have a habit of taking close to 5 weeks 6days, and 23 hours.
I’m not the only one who applied around the same time, and is still waiting…

The Belgrano has changed little
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

The UK just isn't fit for a life after Brexit, not least thanks to the head clown in charge, Boris. This is just one more example for their complete and utter incompetence.

Watching this from afar and with no particular affiliation to the UK, I find it quite hilarious. Why his head hasn't been put on a stake on Tower Bridge yet, I have no idea. Maybe it's because the populace is just too fat, too complacent, unwilling to leave their front row seats on their worn out couches in front of their TVs?
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

Strange thread title

Who else other than the travel agents/airlines selling flights etc that they could not provide could be blamed for all the flights being cancelled etc ?
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

Nothing to do with Brexit this is happening in many other places, too few staff and the result of 2 years close down of air travel.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Alex wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:19 am The UK just isn't fit for a life after Brexit, not least thanks to the head clown in charge, Boris. This is just one more example for their complete and utter incompetence.

Watching this from afar and with no particular affiliation to the UK, I find it quite hilarious. Why his head hasn't been put on a stake on Tower Bridge yet, I have no idea. Maybe it's because the populace is just too fat, too complacent, unwilling to leave their front row seats on their worn out couches in front of their TVs?
What has Brexit got to do with it ?

A new study by ACI (Airports Council International) has found that 66% of Europe’s airports expect flight delays to increase well into summer — that’s a two-thirds of European airports.
Atmywitsend
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Atmywitsend »

Jet2 explained reason for current travel chaos mentioning elephant in the room, Brexit. Jet2 said
covid layoffs is not the cause of staff shortages, the real reason is loss of hundreds of thousands of
EU workers that used to staff our travel and leisure industry.
Steve Heapy, CEO of Jet2, told the BBC. " Brexit has taken hundreds of thousand, if not millions of people
out of the employment market and that is undoubtedly having a impact.

Still, you have your English exceptionalism and your Blue passport to see you through these difficult times. :hattip: :bow:
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Are you sure it's Brexit ? There are people in the UK , remainers, who shout this about everything

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/ne ... 74605.html
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic