UK Flight Chaos - Who's at Fault ?

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: UK Flight Chaos - Who's at Fault ?

Post by Doc67 »

Kenr wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:45 pm
Doc67 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:25 pm
Kenr wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:58 pm I’ll be flying IAH-MAN-SIN-PNH in November. Has anyone transited through Manchester Airport recently? I’ve never been there. Nightmare? My transit time is 1.5 hours.
I think you'll be fine, November is along way off and maybe they will have some staff by then. Currently it's one of the worst UK airports for delays and cancellations but I think that's mostly the European routes.

That one hell of a route, isn't there something over the pacific that is quicker? IAH to anywhere in in SEA?
I have been flying Eva for quite a few years now, best and shortest route out of Houston. At the time I booked Singapore Airlines, Taipei Airport was not allowing transit passengers, and won’t be until at least October, so no Eva Air. Delta/Korean and United/Asiana flights would bring me into Phnom Penh after 10:00 pm. I am not familiar enough with Phnom Penh to arrive that late. United/ANA way overpriced. Emirates and Qatar would have to transit through BKK, and they required insurance just to transit through.

The last time I flew Singapore Air is when it went from Houston to Moscow to Singapore to Bangkok, so that was a while back. But I’m looking forward to seeing Changi Airport again.
Well Ken, it sounds liked you've booked and paid up, so no changing now.

I looked at the map, Houston is way way down south and right in the middle of the US, so either way it is very very long haul!

If you're Singapore Airlines all the way your bags might not move from the hold in Manchester because you might not even be changing aircraft in Manchester - clean, re-stock and re-fuel and off you go again.

Either way, being on just one airline all the way should be fine and you'll be able to get a decent pint of beer in Manchester airport in your 1.5 hours layover.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:14 pm
Kenr wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:58 pm I’ll be flying IAH-MAN-SIN-PNH in November. Has anyone transited through Manchester Airport recently? I’ve never been there. Nightmare? My transit time is 1.5 hours.
I think you'll be fine, November is along way off and maybe they will have some staff by then. Currently it's one of the worst UK airports for delays and cancellations but I think that's mostly the European routes.

That one hell of a route, isn't there something over the pacific that is quicker? IAH to anywhere in in SEA?
I have been flying Eva for quite a few years now, best and shortest route out of Houston. At the time I booked Singapore Airlines, Taipei Airport was not allowing transit passengers, and won’t be until at least October, so no Eva Air. Delta/Korean and United/Asiana flights would bring me into Phnom Penh after 10:00 pm. I am not familiar enough with Phnom Penh to arrive that late. United/ANA way overpriced. Emirates and Qatar would have to transit through BKK, and they required insurance just to transit through.

The last time I flew Singapore Air is when it went from Houston to Moscow to Singapore to Bangkok, so that was a while back. But I’m looking forward to seeing Changi Airport again.

I looked at the map, Houston is way way down south and right in the middle of the US, so either way it is very very long haul!

If you're Singapore Airlines all the way your bags might not move from the hold in Manchester because you might not even be changing aircraft in Manchester - clean, re-stock and re-fuel and off you go again.

Either way, being on just one airline all the way should be fine and you'll be able to get a decent pint of beer in Manchester airport in your 1.5 hours layover.
Yes, and I’m glad I did. I paid $1,082, plus $114 for extra leg room premium economy. It’s up to $1,546 now for premium economy with no extra leg room. I never book that early, but I lucked out and caught a break in this situation.

Good thing about Eva is it’s less than 24 hours travel time, the only airline out of Houston less than 24 hours, that’s why I like them.

And yes, I am south and in the middle of nowhere.
Last edited by Kenr on Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kenr wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:19 pm
Doc67 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:14 pm

Yes, and I’m glad I did. I paid $1,082, plus $114 for extra leg room premium economy. It’s up to $1,546 now for premium economy with no extra leg room. I never book that early, but I lucked out and caught a break in this situation.

Good thing about Eva is it’s less than 24 hours travel time, the only airline out of Houston less than 24 hours, that’s why I like them.
That's a bargain and a half. Kudos to you sir.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Atmywitsend wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:18 pm Johan Lunggren ( Maybe a Jonnie Foriner ) C E O of Easyjet, says 8,000 job applications from European Union citizen have been rejected by his company
because candidates do not have permission to work in the UK. British Airways is currently leasing European aircraft while it has British aircraft in storage,
purely to get around post-Brexit visa rules for European airline crews. Just another example of the craziness of losing access to the EU labour market and
free movement. Doc67 hope your experience at Stanstead was OK> ( Honest ) :hattip: :hattip: :wave:
Returned from Spain yesterday through Stansted filled with dread about the terrible queues at passport control.

I touched down at 14:00. It took 5 mins to get to the gate, 5 mins to get off the plane, 5 mins to get to Passport Control entrance and a further 5 mins to get to an e-Gate and, voila, I was in the baggage hall. I was hand luggage only so a further 2 minutes to get passed customs and out.

So by 14:22, or 22 minutes from touch down, I was leaving the building and heading for my car.

This is my new personal best...

I emailed the BBC and told them of this miracle but am yet to hear back from them.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I have never flown in or out of Cambodia, being that I had always travelled overland to Bangkok and took flights via Etihad to Manchester, what kind of cost's are involved in today's prices to get back to the UK? Things are not the same for me here, with the recent loss of my partner. But I am not ready to leave just now, but I think that there will come a time.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Let me just say this, right now, from the US, it costs almost as much for a one-way ticket now as it did for a round-trip ticket pre-covid.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I’ve noticed a marked increase in ticket costs for routes that I’ll need to travel shortly.

Fuel costs have increased dramatically, and any fuel pricing plans (fuel hedging) between airlines and suppliers I believe will have been compromised by uncertainty surrounding COVID related industry recovery, let alone European events. The latter will be affecting routings for some carriers, if they’re sensible (MH17), which will only add cost. Has anyone seen baggage limits being tightened? Just curious.

In the last operation that I was flying in, the local aviation fuel price had increased by more than 200%, which was utterly ridiculous. It grounded nearly every domestic carrier.

Fuel prices were eye watering a month ago. There was some suggestion of it settling down, but either way, it’s going to be rough times again. Just what everyone needs.

Have a look here, for one.
https://www.iata.org/en/publications/ec ... l-monitor/

Putain, Putin.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Not only because of fuel prices, but because routes had been shut off and employees let go/left, getting those individuals back or replacing them and resuming those routes has been difficult. With fewer airlines servicing a particular destination with fewer number of flights jacks up the price.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I have always fancied traveling overland :)
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Newinkow
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Newinkow »

@Kenr I don't know where you got your info on Taiwan (EVA Air) not allowing tourist to transit through Taipei until October. You might of had your information mixed up. You cannot transit through Taipei to mainland China. You are allowed to transit on the condition that you are fully vaccinated and have a negative PCR test 2 days (48 hours) prior to your flight.

After reading your post I was confused so I contacted EVA office in Vancouver, via email, just to confirm that I could fly Vancouver to Phnom Penh transiting through Taipei. They reply back that transiting through Taipei to Phnom Penh is allow.

Just for my own curiosity. I did a quick search on EVA Air for a round trip from Huston to Phnom Penh for November 7 to April 18. The cost was just less than $1100 USD for basic economy. The same ticket, for me, from Vancouver to Phnom Penh was about $1550 CAD.

I know you already booked your flights but I thought I would just put it out there in case anybody else from North America is thinking of heading over to KoW or anywhere in SE Asia. EVA Air has the shortest duration time from North America to any SE Asia destination that EVA Air flys to. EVA Air is Taiwan's national airline and Taipei is their home base. They have preferential treatment for connection times. Also no need to switch airlines. EVA Air all the way. You are also allow two 23 kg check in bag, one carry on bag and one day bag/knapsack. If anyone is thinking of heading to SE Asia from North America to should check out EVA Air for a comparison.

On a side note: I have been a lookie-loo on CEO for about 4 years and just recently signed up to be a member. I made an introduction on the site when I signed up. This is only my 3rd post.

I am not too familiar with how CEO works. Can someone please explain how to quote someone's post to reply back to. I was trying to reply back on Kenr post but couldn't figure it out.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic