UK Flight Chaos - Who's at Fault ?

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: UK Flight Chaos - Who's at Fault ?

Post by Bluenose »

Atmywitsend wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:27 pm BREAKING ; Brexiters are losing their shit as they now have to stand in 3 + hour queues and are now treated the same way as other
non - EU tourists. The EU doesn't seem to understand that ENGLISH people are supposed to get special treatment as we once had a Empire
and won 2 world wars, and 1 world cup.
Roses are red
Your passport is blue
Now stand over there
In that F***in long queue. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Airlines with massive staff shortages calling for emergency visas to be issued to foreign nationals to deal
thousands of vacancies. But nothing to do with Brexit, right ?
And I'm sure it was Brexit that caused this... https://simpleflying.com/klm-suspends-a ... -schiphol/
The problem for AF/KLM is that they have to come up with some other excuse
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

People used to say "I blame thatcher" some people still say it as a joke. It is now "I blame Brexit"
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:18 am
I am arriving at Heathrow Terminal 2 tomorrow at 7.30am. I will let you know just how bad it really is.
Arrived at 7am and was out by 8am, Heathrow terminal 2. Not bad, all things considered.

There were delays at passport control, but their latest trick is to send everyone for a 20 minute walk up and down lanes. They move quite quickly and gives the impression of positive progress. You are put into a state of disorientation as you cannot see where the actual exit points are, amid the sea of people shuffling up and down endlessly. Eventually you arrive at the end, a it's a very long way from the start, and find yourself at the back of a 10 person queue for an E-Gate, and that takes about 10 minutes.

It is probably better keeping people moving for 20-30 minutes than stood in a huge queue that hardly moves for the same period of time and letting the pressure and moods to deteriorate.

I am off to Spain on the 21st from Stansted and I expect much worse there. Stansted is always slow, even in the good times.
Atmywitsend
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Atmywitsend »

Johan Lunggren ( Maybe a Jonnie Foriner ) C E O of Easyjet, says 8,000 job applications from European Union citizen have been rejected by his company
because candidates do not have permission to work in the UK. British Airways is currently leasing European aircraft while it has British aircraft in storage,
purely to get around post-Brexit visa rules for European airline crews. Just another example of the craziness of losing access to the EU labour market and
free movement. Doc67 hope your experience at Stanstead was OK> ( Honest ) :hattip: :hattip: :wave:
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Atmywitsend wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:18 pm Johan Lunggren ( Maybe a Jonnie Foriner ) C E O of Easyjet, says 8,000 job applications from European Union citizen have been rejected by his company
because candidates do not have permission to work in the UK. British Airways is currently leasing European aircraft while it has British aircraft in storage,
purely to get around post-Brexit visa rules for European airline crews. Just another example of the craziness of losing access to the EU labour market and
free movement. Doc67 hope your experience at Stanstead was OK> ( Honest ) :hattip: :hattip: :wave:
I arrived at Stansted at 04:15, yes, a quarter passed four in the bloody morning, for a 05:55 flight to Alicante. The place was heaving with people! Fortunately I was hand luggage only and managed to hussle thorough to an e-gate for the boarding passes in 5 mins. Then, by a bit of luck, got pulled from a snake-line to a new line and was at security by 04:40. My bag got pulled - add another 10 mins.

By 04:50 I was then airside and then the horror show began. In the last few years they have done something to Stansted. Gone are the open spaces. They have modelled it on Ikea, where you enter and follow the path until you eventually get to the end and leave the building - about a mile later - and there are no short cuts. Stansted make you follow a slalom pathway and pass every shop selling stuff nobody wants. Mont Blanc fountain pen? Sure. Bottle of water for a £1? HaHa, no chance.

This ends at a central hub where there are 500 chairs and 1000 people, many queuing for ages to get into a Wetherspoons at 5am to buy a beer. WTF is that about? There are people flopped on the floor. There are places where it has become gridlocked.

There is one information board and if you miss it and head for the gates, you will have to go back through the throng of people to get your gate number. Turning back against the tsunami of people following the path is not an easy task. I literally pushed my back back with eyesight of the information board, found my gate number and went and waited it out at the gate.

It was bloody awful. They have put in so many shops there is no room for the people.

The flight was 1 hour delayed, sitting on the plane getting bored. Upon arrival in Alicante I was off and through Passport control and through Covid certificate check, within 20 minutes.

It's 30 degrees, sunny and I am on my fourth beer. Happy days...
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

I’ll be flying IAH-MAN-SIN-PNH in November. Has anyone transited through Manchester Airport recently? I’ve never been there. Nightmare? My transit time is 1.5 hours.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kenr wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:58 pm I’ll be flying IAH-MAN-SIN-PNH in November. Has anyone transited through Manchester Airport recently? I’ve never been there. Nightmare? My transit time is 1.5 hours.
I think you'll be fine, November is along way off and maybe they will have some staff by then. Currently it's one of the worst UK airports for delays and cancellations but I think that's mostly the European routes.

That one hell of a route, isn't there something over the pacific that is quicker? IAH to anywhere in in SEA?
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:25 pm
Kenr wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:58 pm I’ll be flying IAH-MAN-SIN-PNH in November. Has anyone transited through Manchester Airport recently? I’ve never been there. Nightmare? My transit time is 1.5 hours.
I think you'll be fine, November is along way off and maybe they will have some staff by then. Currently it's one of the worst UK airports for delays and cancellations but I think that's mostly the European routes.

That one hell of a route, isn't there something over the pacific that is quicker? IAH to anywhere in in SEA?
I have been flying Eva for quite a few years now, best and shortest route out of Houston. At the time I booked Singapore Airlines, Taipei Airport was not allowing transit passengers, and won’t be until at least October, so no Eva Air. Delta/Korean and United/Asiana flights would bring me into Phnom Penh after 10:00 pm. I am not familiar enough with Phnom Penh to arrive that late. United/ANA way overpriced. Emirates and Qatar would have to transit through BKK, and they required insurance just to transit through.

The last time I flew Singapore Air is when it went from Houston to Moscow to Singapore to Bangkok, so that was a while back. But I’m looking forward to seeing Changi Airport again.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Kenr wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:45 pm

I have been flying Eva for quite a few years now, best and shortest route out of Houston. At the time I booked Singapore Airlines, Taipei Airport was not allowing transit passengers, and won’t be until at least October, so no Eva Air. Delta/Korean and United/Asiana flights would bring me into Phnom Penh after 10:00 pm. I am not familiar enough with Phnom Penh to arrive that late. United/ANA way overpriced. Emirates and Qatar would have to transit through BKK, and they required insurance just to transit through.

The last time I flew Singapore Air is when it went from Houston to Moscow to Singapore to Bangkok, so that was a while back. But I’m looking forward to seeing Changi Airport again.
Most of Phnom Penh is sleeping after 10:00 pm.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:09 pm
Kenr wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:45 pm

Most of Phnom Penh is sleeping after 10:00 pm.
LOL. If I’m ever in bed at 10:00 pm I’m coming back to the States.
Last edited by Kenr on Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic