How shielded is Cambodia to this cost of living crisis I keep reading about?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: How shielded is Cambodia to this cost of living crisis I keep reading about?

Post by Doc67 »

Aren't we all hydo electric power? We should be ok unless the price of Mekong water goes up.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: How shielded is Cambodia to this cost of living crisis I keep reading about?

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:10 pm Aren't we all hydo electric power?
Nope, not even close
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:44 pm
Bluenose wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:52 pm PassApp have just hiked their prices today. The ride that normally costs me 9400 has increased to 10900
as gasoline regular has gone from 4400-5400/5800 in past 2 months
u'd expect taxi, pass app prices to increase
at least electricity of me is steady at 630/kwh :beer3:
I'm not sure how much LPG has gone up but, yes, it was to be expected.
Except at PassApp though.
When I messaged them about my journey home they replied that that they "reserve the right to increase prices without notice" and then said "because this is an urgent case".
I work in transport and we have always given our customers advance notice of any increases or fuel surcharges.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

John Bingham wrote:
xandreu wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 8:30 pm So far however, I haven't noticed a rise in food or energy prices in Cambodia and life seems to be continuing as normal.
Gasoline has gone up about 46 cents a liter since the start of the year - from $0.92 to $1.38. That's about a 50% increase and is bound to have knock on effects on the price of other goods.

https://take-profit.org/en/statistics/g ... /cambodia/

Food prices have been steadily climbing too. :?
Cooking gas used to be around $12 for 12kg and I heard it's gone up to $50 now. Living costs and inflation are definitely up here as well. Even the price of eggs has gone up considerably.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:10 pm Aren't we all hydo electric power? We should be ok unless the price of Mekong water goes up.
There are no dams in Cambodia on the Mekong. These are the hydro electric plants operating. The Lower Sesan is a tributary of the Mekong but the others are all quite separate.

Kirirom I (12MW) in Kampong Speu
Kamchay (193MW) in Kampot, which started operating in 2011
Kirirom III (18MW), which started operating in 2013
Stung Atai (120MW) in Pursat, which started operating in 2013
Lower Russei Chrum (338MW) in Koh Kong, which started operating in 2014
Stung Tatai (246MW) in Koh Kong, which began power production in 2014
Lower Sesan II (400MW) in Stung Treng province, officially opened in 2018.
https://opendevelopmentcambodia.net/top ... ower-dams/
Silence, exile, and cunning.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:33 pm
John Bingham wrote:
xandreu wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 8:30 pm So far however, I haven't noticed a rise in food or energy prices in Cambodia and life seems to be continuing as normal.
Gasoline has gone up about 46 cents a liter since the start of the year - from $0.92 to $1.38. That's about a 50% increase and is bound to have knock on effects on the price of other goods.

Cooking gas used to be around $12 for 12kg and I heard it's gone up to $50 now. Living costs and inflation are definitely up here as well. Even the price of eggs has gone up considerably.
no. I just paid $18 last week
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:57 pm Is there ever any good news these days ?
The 2020's is sure turning out to be the decade nobody will forget for a long time. If we even get to live long enough to ever forget it. From Covid, which began bang-on within the very first month of the decade, to, I was going to say a return to the Cold War, but it feels even worse than it did when I was growing up in the 80's. And now serious global food and energy shortages, I get the feeling the good times are well and truly over and won't be returning for quite some time, if they ever do.

The entire world order, be it political or economic, is going through a clunky gear change right now with a distinct feeling that the perfect storm is still forming and is yet to hit land.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:33 pm
John Bingham wrote:

I'm still paying $25 same for the last few years not sure of the size but the bottle is about a meter high.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

atst wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:19 pm
I'm still paying $25 same for the last few years not sure of the size but the bottle is about a meter high.
When was the last time you filled it up?
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:46 pm
atst wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:19 pm
When was the last time you filled it up?
Yesterday
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic