How shielded is Cambodia to this cost of living crisis I keep reading about?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: How shielded is Cambodia to this cost of living crisis I keep reading about?

Post by techietraveller84 »

More rural places that still rely on what is hunted and gathered locally will see the least impact.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: How shielded is Cambodia to this cost of living crisis I keep reading about?

Post by Doc67 »

techietraveller84 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:53 am More rural places that still rely on what is hunted and gathered locally will see the least impact.
Until some people turn up and offer them more money for their rice and other foodstuffs than they can get locally and cart it all away.

This is is more than simple consumer price inflation, this is about food security which is a different beast. A global shortage of fertilizer isn't going to help.

Countries currently implementing food export bans. This is just starting.

ARGENTINA Soybean oil, soybean meal, Dec 31, 2023
ALGERIA Pasta, wheat derivatives, vegetable oil, sugar Dec 31, 2022
EGYPT Vegetable oil, maize June 12, 2022
Wheat, flour, oils, lentils, pasta, beans June 10, 2022
INDIA Wheat Dec 31, 2022
INDONESIA Palm oil, palm kernel oil Dec 31, 2022
IRAN Potatoes, eggplant, tomatoes, onion Dec 31, 2022
KAZAKHSTAN Wheat, wheat flour June 15, 2022
KOSOVO Wheat, corn, flour, vegetable oil, salt, sugar, Dec 31, 2022
TURKEY Beef, mutton, goat meat, butter, cooking oils Dec 31, 2022
UKRAINE Wheat, oats, millet, sugar Dec 31, 2022
RUSSIA Sugar, sunflower seeds Aug 31, 2022
Wheat, meslin, rye, barley, maize June 30, 2022
SERBIA Wheat, corn, flour, oil Dec 31, 2022
TUNISIA Fruits, vegetables Dec 31, 2022
KUWAIT Chicken meat products, grains, vegetable oils Dec 31, 202

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/18/countri ... ation.html
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Case of beer and case of coke 92000 Riel yesterday same was 88000 Riel :beer3:
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Doc67 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:20 am
techietraveller84 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:53 am More rural places that still rely on what is hunted and gathered locally will see the least impact.
Until some people turn up and offer them more money for their rice and other foodstuffs than they can get locally and cart it all away.

This is is more than simple consumer price inflation, this is about food security which is a different beast. A global shortage of fertilizer isn't going to help.

INDIA Wheat Dec 31, 2022

This ^^

Food Security!

This is why China has been buying up foreign farmland. Wait till this land gets re-appropriated by the government of the country it's in after the citizens protest at the food grown there being exported to China.
China may be able to stuff the pockets of a corrupt government but their citizens will only take so much.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

A few years ago I watched a lecture given by Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala of the World Bank, she's now Director General of the World Trade Organisation. It was focussed on population growth in developing countries and the ability of the worldwide food chain to cope with it. Pretty scary scenario, and that was before the recent and current world events impacting things.

Is there ever any good news these days ?
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

IraHayes wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:32 pm

INDIA Wheat Dec 31, 2022

This ^^

Food Security!

This is why China has been buying up foreign farmland. Wait till this land gets re-appropriated by the government of the country it's in after the citizens protest at the food grown there being exported to China.
China may be able to stuff the pockets of a corrupt government but their citizens will only take so much.
I don't think Cambodia is exporting as much has hoped to China, and I cannot see anyone standing up against the government in this country. But again, this is a developing country and if it does get into trouble, there are many first world countries that will help the situation.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

AndyKK wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:29 pm
IraHayes wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:32 pm

INDIA Wheat Dec 31, 2022

This ^^

Food Security!

I don't think Cambodia is exporting as much has hoped to China, and I cannot see anyone standing up against the government in this country. But again, this is a developing country and if it does get into trouble, there are many first world countries that will help the situation.
There will be many first world countries trying desperately to placate their own angry mobs who can't afford to eat or heat their homes next winter to worry about starving foreigners.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

PassApp have just hiked their prices today. The ride that normally costs me 9400 has increased to 10900
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

My wife told me that gas went up recently. She told me about 2 months ago pork had gone up a lot and rice to a bit more expensive.

I've noticed some items at the grocery store have gone up a bit (talking things like Western Ketchup and cereal and peanuts - only the best for my family :lol: ).

But I think we are in better shape than many folks that live in the "West" and pay to heat their homes and rely a lot on gas to make a commute. I would expect that eventually we'll get hit with higher electric charges.

So overall I'm aware of some higher prices but nothing that is impacting how we live.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Bluenose wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:52 pm PassApp have just hiked their prices today. The ride that normally costs me 9400 has increased to 10900
as gasoline regular has gone from 4400-5400/5800 in past 2 months
u'd expect taxi, pass app prices to increase
at least electricity of me is steady at 630/kwh :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic