Belgian NGO APOPO Signs MOU to Clear 4Million Sq Meters of UXOs

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Belgian NGO APOPO Signs MOU to Clear 4Million Sq Meters of UXOs

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): On May 26, 2022, HE Heng Ratana, the Director General of CMAC, and Michael Heiman, the APOPO* Country Director for Cambodia, signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to implement a demining and UXO clearance project for 5 years with a donated budget of 284,422 USD.
It is estimated that the project, operated by Belgian NGO APOPO, will cover over 4 million square meters of land in 4 districts of Preah Vihear province by the end of 2023.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

*APOPO, (an acronym for Anti-Persoonsmijnen Ontmijnende Product Ontwikkeling: "Anti-Personnel Landmines Removal Product Development" in English), is a registered Belgian non-governmental organisation and US non-profit which trains southern giant pouched rats to detect landmines.
- Wikipedia
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Belgian NGO APOPO Signs MOU to Clear 4Million Sq Meters of UXOs

Post by Jerry Atrick »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 1:37 pm Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): On May 26, 2022, HE Heng Ratana, the Director General of CMAC, and Michael Heiman, the APOPO* Country Director for Cambodia, signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to implement a demining and UXO clearance project for 5 years with a donated budget of 284,422 USD.
It is estimated that the project, operated by Belgian NGO APOPO, will cover over 4 million square meters of land in 4 districts of Preah Vihear province by the end of 2023.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

*APOPO, (an acronym for Anti-Persoonsmijnen Ontmijnende Product Ontwikkeling: "Anti-Personnel Landmines Removal Product Development" in English), is a registered Belgian non-governmental organisation and US non-profit which trains southern giant pouched rats to detect landmines.
- Wikipedia
$284,000 budget for five years seems very low
Apparition
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Apparition »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 1:57 pm

It does, I watched this yesterday (his videos are usually well researched) and he said the cost of removing each mine is between $300 - $1000. Total cost to remove all mines worldwide $50bn - $100bn.

Interestingly, he said that Cambodia could double its agricultural output if all the mines were removed.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Apparition wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:11 pm

It does, I watched this yesterday (his videos are usually well researched) and he said the cost of removing each mine is between $300 - $1000. Total cost to remove all mines worldwide $50bn - $100bn.

Interestingly, he said that Cambodia could double its agricultural output if all the mines were removed.
Cambodian de-miners are among the best in the world these days due to years of experience - I would speculate that the cost of removal here is dramatically lower than those borne by "western" deminers.

That guy, Simon Whistler, doesn't actually know very much about anything imo- he's professional autocue reader for at least two dozen rather generic YouTube channels - and I think a production team just throws together most of his scripts with precious little fact checking - I have heard him utter some huge clangers with rock solid conviction and his usual polished delivery style - so take anything he says with a grain of salt
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Cambodian de-miners let's not forget where they got their ongoing experience and skills, from that of dedicated western de-miners, such organisations as Halo and Mag, who have been operating here from the outset. Both too are financial supported by charities, mainly on a donation scale.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

AndyKK wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:51 pm Cambodian de-miners let's not forget where they got their ongoing experience and skills, from that of dedicated western de-miners, such organisations as Halo and Mag, who have been operating here from the outset. Both too are financial supported by charities, mainly on a donation scale.
That is so - but here in 2022 they are among the best and most experienced there are today - and are paying it forward in many African nations these days by de-mining over there
Singsling
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Singsling »

4 million m2 may sound impressive but it's only 4 km2.
Not much to write home about.
Apparition
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Apparition »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:38 pm
Apparition wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:11 pm

Cambodian de-miners are among the best in the world these days due to years of experience - I would speculate that the cost of removal here is dramatically lower than those borne by "western" deminers.

That guy, Simon Whistler, doesn't actually know very much about anything imo- he's professional autocue reader for at least two dozen rather generic YouTube channels - and I think a production team just throws together most of his scripts with precious little fact checking - I have heard him utter some huge clangers with rock solid conviction and his usual polished delivery style - so take anything he says with a grain of salt
Yes, he is certainly just a presenter.

The figure of 300-1000 per mine comes from here: "Their prices vary between US $ 3 and US $ 75 per unit whilst the cost of clearance estimated by the United Nations, including support and logistic costs, is between US $ 300 and US $ 1,000 per mine."

https://www.icrc.org/en/doc/resources/d ... 57jmcy.htm

You're probably right that it's less in Cambodia.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Sunday is a day of rest for the APOPO "hero-rats" too...
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic