Activities for expats in Siem Reap?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
kath52
Tourist
Great Britain

Activities for expats in Siem Reap?

Post by kath52 »

My husband and I hoping to come over to Siem Reap in October for upto 6 months and are not really into visiting temples. All we have read about SR so far is all people do who aren't working drink, eat and visit bars, is there any long term expat activities in SR.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Activities for expats in Siem Reap?

Post by Anchor Moy »

If you arrive with a negative attitude then you will get negative vibes. Check out your centres of interest. Siem Reap has a lot of local artistic and sports events. (Do a search for Siem Reap on the Culture forum and the Sports forum here on CEO - might give you some ideas.)
:dm:
For example, you can join a sports club like this one:
Or you can do yoga and meditation, or explore the countryside, or help people in need (6 months is long enough to be a helpful volunteer somewhere). You have to make your own entertainment in Cambodia, but there's no reason to be bored.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

kath52 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:23 pm My husband and I hoping to come over to Siem Reap in October for upto 6 months and are not really into visiting temples. All we have read about SR so far is all people do who aren't working drink, eat and visit bars, is there any long term expat activities in SR.
Are you coming by
“Choice” or “necessity”

If it is by choice the methinks you should revisit you decision making process.
If by necessity then maybe just make the best of it for those 6 months.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

IraHayes wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:41 am
kath52 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:23 pm My husband and I hoping to come over to Siem Reap in October for upto 6 months and are not really into visiting temples. All we have read about SR so far is all people do who aren't working drink, eat and visit bars, is there any long term expat activities in SR.
Are you coming by
“Choice” or “necessity”

If it is by choice the methinks you should revisit you decision making process.
If by necessity then maybe just make the best of it for those 6 months.
Reminds me of a newly arrived expat at a place I worked around 10 years ago.
While we were having a coffee break, he asked, "So what is there to do here after work?"
Someone responded with, "What would you normally do after work?"
Newbie replied, "Go to the gym and workout".
Someone replied, "Then, go to the gym and workout!"

@ the OP, what would you usually do if you weren't working?
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Not much time left after working, drinking, eating and visiting bars.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

You say you are hoping to go to Siem Reap

Why are you hoping? You have no interest in temples and don’t know what else to do there. So what is behind your hope?
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

violet wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:01 am
You say you are hoping to go to Siem Reap

Why are you hoping? You have no interest in temples and don’t know what else to do there. So what is behind your hope?
Methinks Violet has sniffed out a schism in the spousal life-planning process.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

What a bizarre post. Why don't you start by letting us know what kind of activities you are interested in? Someone will know if there's anything for you.

Out of curiosity, why did you choose Siem Reap, of all places? There must be something that has piqued your interest? Neither the temples nor the bars, so what is it?
snookieboi
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by snookieboi »

If you're not into Temples, then why bother with Siem Reap for 6 months??
It's a developed tourist town with Bars and Restaurants. I can understand staying up to 10 days or so there , as there is a Cinema and probably a gym and other things to do, but really you'll be bored after 2 weeks.
In fact you'd be better off to travel the Country and even venture into Vietnam. That would be much much better, and much more rewarding.
More than just any old backpacker.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Siem Reap activities! I don't know if it is still there, but a Khmer guy setup a crazy golf course just out of the main area of town. They had good food and if you got a hole in one, you would win a free beer.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic