phones

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

phones

Post by johnny lightning »

I am currently in Canada and will be over for a month early June. My last phone (actually my current phone!) I bought in VN for a hundred bucks 7 years ago. It is pretty useless these days and I am looking for a new one. I do not want to spend much, around 200 bucks because I am one of the few these days that actually only uses the phone as, well a phone. No movies, little web browsing, no social media, pretty much just talk and text. Just want something sturdy and reliable.

Having said all that I was thinking of getting a phone here in Canada but the choices are very limited, and 60-80% of the market is Samsung. I am not convinced that I want a Samsung. What would you lot do? Bite the bullet and get a Samsung here or wait until I arrive and get a Redmi, a one phone or a xiaomi etc. Recommendations for phone and reliable store much appreciated.

TIA
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Re: phones

Post by ressl »

Not sure what's your problem with Samsung, if you use the phone to make calls only. New feature phones you can get for $20 in new, new crappy smartphones start at around $100 (which would have no impact in your case). If you go for a used smartphone, you get decent stuff (with a new battery) for $150.
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

No real problem with Samsung other than I would like the opportunity to do some comparison shopping. No chance will I go for a used phone. New ones have enough potential problems as it is! That reminds me, if anyone has a shop recommendation It would be nice if they even pretend to give you a refund if the thing is buggered out of the box.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

johnny lightning wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:21 am No real problem with Samsung other than I would like the opportunity to do some comparison shopping. No chance will I go for a used phone. New ones have enough potential problems as it is! That reminds me, if anyone has a shop recommendation It would be nice if they even pretend to give you a refund if the thing is buggered out of the box.
I quite like xaiomi phones, have had a couple over the last few years and never any issues.

Also like that a lot of models are dual SIM, which is quite rare for most other non-chinese companies, if it's not easy to get a dual SIM in Canada I'd wait until you get here.

Not too keen on the feel of Samsung for some reason, but you can pick up a good cheap one for 150 or so, dual sim

I have used sokly phone shop before, good choice and feel fairly professional.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I think Xiaomi phones here offer best bang for your buck. Mrs Cargo has the Redmi Note 10 Pro which cost about $269 and it's pretty good.

For your purpose, I would steer you to either of these: https://imobi.biz/en/products/smartphones/xiaomi

1. Redmi 10C $149

2. Redmi 10S $169/$179 with warranty

3. Redmi Note 11 $229 (+$30 gift unknown) higher spec with 33W fast charger

All have big batteries. Warranty with 2 usually means it's a global model right from the factory. Therefore, I'd say 1 and 3 are more recent chinese models that have been flashed with global software..rendering them unwarrantable but in this price range you probably don't need to worry as long as it works straight out of the box (check in the shop).

The only negative I found with the Redmi phone was that after a while you start getting ads however these can be disabled by following this guide: https://gadgets360.com/how-to/features/ ... to-2356679 Probably not so much an issue for you OP if you mainly use the phone function.

I've bought a number of things from the above shop and I found them reputable, well priced and speak english.
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Thanks for the recommendations guys. Leaning toward purchasing in PP.
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

I bought a Vivo at the Smart Shop for $100 .... it came with a 3 month SIM card, as a promotion I got an external battery and speaker, came with headphones. It’s an old version but has taken all the updates from all the popular apps.
Everything works great, I use it all day either surfing or streaming my favourite music via YouTube to the speaker.
Hit a few of the Internet providers shops and you’ll get a good deal in your price range easy.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

I love flagship Samsung phones, but a $200 Samsung phone is garbage. I've heard good things about Moto phones in that price range though.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic