Buffalo NY mass shooting

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: Buffalo NY mass shooting

Post by IraHayes »

Big Daikon wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:23 am
Doc67 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:08 am Perhaps we should rename this thread to 'Latest US Mass Shooting'.
An ongoing thread would be hundreds of pages long.
We could do one each for the major cities tbh.
Quite a few, other than Chicago, that often have total victim stats like these one offs.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

The question.

And it is a serious question and not one to be glibly brushed aside as irrelevant.. is this.

Generally, weapons are now much harder to own or acquire than 40 years ago.
I have this feeling (not checked the data as I type this ok), a feeling that 40 years ago these "mass" shootings and the perpetrators were far less frequent and the perps were of a different type.

Anyone with the time and inclination to look into this and provide some insight to this "feeling"
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

Sadly mass school shootings are part of normal day life in America, and something obviously many Americans are quite happy to accept, & they resist attempts to change laws to try & stop this annual mass slaughter of young kids

Most people in the rest of the world find it hard to believe that they allow this to continue, year after year
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

I will have to disagree with you on that. Weapons are not much harder to get today than 40 years ago. Mass killings have been the norm since the 80’s in the US. The biggest difference today is the type of weapons and their capabilities available to the public.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

Even if they could ban guns or if they make it very hard to get one legally there are so many guns in the USA a determined shooter can easily get one. I think this sort of thing is going to carry on and become a regular thing. I see no solution ?
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

jaynewcastle wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:47 pm Sadly mass school shootings are part of normal day life in America, and something obviously many Americans are quite happy to accept, & they resist attempts to change laws to try & stop this annual mass slaughter of young kids

Most people in the rest of the world find it hard to believe that they allow this to continue, year after year
I very much doubt they are “happy” to accept mass shootings (school or otherwise)
I believe the issue is way more complex in the USA, than it was in the UK for example, where numbers of firearms per capita were minuscule (even prior to the hand gun and semi automatic rifle ban implemented in the 1990’s) compared to the USA, a nation literally ‘saturated’ with guns, (legally and illegally held) where do you begin removing them from private ownership?
Those holding them legally and responsibly (the vast majority) will be/are very resistant to being disarmed knowing the numbers of armed criminals in America.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Kenr wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:51 pm Mass killings have been the norm since the 80’s in the US.
I will respectfully disagree. There has definitely been an increase in recent years.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/811 ... in-the-us/

Specifically:

(Please note the exact definition of mass shooting varies from source to source.)
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Big Daikon wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:13 pm
Kenr wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:51 pm Mass killings have been the norm since the 80’s in the US.
I will respectfully disagree. There has definitely been an increase in recent years.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/811 ... in-the-us/

Specifically:

(Please note the exact definition of mass shooting varies from source to source.)
That’s why I used the term mass killings.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:00 pm Even if they could ban guns or if they make it very hard to get one legally there are so many guns in the USA a determined shooter can easily get one. I think this sort of thing is going to carry on and become a regular thing. I see no solution ?
Wasn't Cambodia awash with guns back in the wild-east days? I'm not saying they don't exist anymore here, or course they do, but no-where near on the scale they were when Cambodia was pretty much a lawless wasteland of criminals, drugs, murders etc...

It may take time, but it wouldn't be impossible to rid America of the majority of its privately owned guns, so long as the will to do it was there.

The problem is, it isn't.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

xandreu wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:31 pm
tightenupvolume1 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:00 pm Even if they could ban guns or if they make it very hard to get one legally there are so many guns in the USA a determined shooter can easily get one. I think this sort of thing is going to carry on and become a regular thing. I see no solution ?
Wasn't Cambodia awash with guns back in the wild-east days? I'm not saying they don't exist anymore here, or course they do, but no-where near on the scale they were when Cambodia was pretty much a lawless wasteland of criminals, drugs, murders etc...

It may take time, but it wouldn't be impossible to rid America of the majority of its privately owned guns, so long as the will to do it was there.

The problem is, it isn't.
That will never happen, because the will isn’t there to even make it difficult for the individuals who shouldn’t be allowed to have one. Unfortunately there so many loopholes in many states that allows anyone the ability to purchase/obtain a gun without any checks and balances.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic