Best way to move money into Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
BleedingBlue
Expatriate
Great Britain

Best way to move money into Cambodia

Post by BleedingBlue »

I'm moving from Europe to Cambodia and need to transfer my funds to Cambodia. I'm hesitant about converting it all into cash as I read larger notes aren't widely accepted and considering the amount I need to convert, I suspect I'll get mostly 100 dollar bills.

Does anyone have any experience using multi currency cards such as Wise?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Re: Best way to move money into Cambodia

Post by Bongmab69 »

I made myself a WISE-account+ the conected VISA-card, works perfectly in my eyes, good convertion-rates (almost perfect), i could take out 1100 US every time at the ATM from Bredbank, there are several on the riverside. Cost was 19 US on 1100. Only way to get better is change cash near central market, waht i usualy do until my cash is finished, and then use your WISE-card. If you stay for good you can open a cambodian bank-account, thats the cheapest way, but pretty a hassle, as i usually dont stay for more then 90 days, knever tried it, but there are plenty of topics here how to open a bank-account.
Province
Expatriate
Mexico

Post by Province »

Revolut bank card is also good,atm fees 9$ per 1000$ with good rates.Revolut app is also good.
BleedingBlue
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by BleedingBlue »

Bongmab69 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:00 pm I made myself a WISE-account+ the conected VISA-card, works perfectly in my eyes, good convertion-rates (almost perfect), i could take out 1100 US every time at the ATM from Bredbank, there are several on the riverside. Cost was 19 US on 1100. Only way to get better is change cash near central market, waht i usualy do until my cash is finished, and then use your WISE-card. If you stay for good you can open a cambodian bank-account, thats the cheapest way, but pretty a hassle, as i usually dont stay for more then 90 days, knever tried it, but there are plenty of topics here how to open a bank-account.
I'll be opening up a bank account once my visa is extended so I just need to understand the best way to access funds during the initial period. It seems putting it all onto a Wise card is the best option and then withdrawing those funds to be deposited into a Cambodian bank account once it's open.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I use Revolut when travelling. A lot. But I only load it with about £200 at a time, in case it goes missing. Contactless payments are then limited to what’s loaded on the card, and I still have the freedom of topping up as I need.
I have old European bank accounts which I use to top up the Revolut, and I frequently use XE app on iPad to move housekeeping funds into my bank account if needed. It’s proving very quick and convenient.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Bongmab69 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:00 pm I made myself a WISE-account+ the conected VISA-card, works perfectly in my eyes, good convertion-rates (almost perfect), i could take out 1100 US every time at the ATM from Bredbank, there are several on the riverside. Cost was 19 US on 1100. Only way to get better is change cash near central market, waht i usualy do until my cash is finished, and then use your WISE-card. If you stay for good you can open a cambodian bank-account, thats the cheapest way, but pretty a hassle, as i usually dont stay for more then 90 days, knever tried it, but there are plenty of topics here how to open a bank-account.
When I transfer USD into my ACLEDA account I can transfer 10k USD for 29 EUR using SWIFT.

Local bank account with SWIFT access is king if you want to transfer amounts larger than say 2k USD.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

DaveBrazier wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:10 pm
I'll be opening up a bank account once my visa is extended so I just need to understand the best way to access funds during the initial period. It seems putting it all onto a Wise card is the best option and then withdrawing those funds to be deposited into a Cambodian bank account once it's open.
Since you can extend you visa within days of your arrival bringing 1000 USD in cash should be sufficient, after that you can use your newly acquired bank account. Transfers from Europe take less than a working day these days.
BleedingBlue
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by BleedingBlue »

Kammekor wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:00 pm
When I transfer USD into my ACLEDA account I can transfer 10k USD for 29 EUR using SWIFT.

Local bank account with SWIFT access is king if you want to transfer amounts larger than say 2k USD.
Ideally I'd transfer the bulk of it via SWIFT and some cash like you suggested but I need to permanently close my bank account where I currently am before leaving.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

DaveBrazier wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:10 pm

Ideally I'd transfer the bulk of it via SWIFT and some cash like you suggested but I need to permanently close my bank account where I currently am before leaving.
I strongly suggest not to close it, I'd tell them I'm moving temporary and need it to remain open. Closing your accounts back home is a bad idea IMHO. I for sure don't want to rely on just the Cambodian banking system.
BleedingBlue
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by BleedingBlue »

Kammekor wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:11 pm
DaveBrazier wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:10 pm

I strongly suggest not to close it, I'd tell them I'm moving temporary and need it to remain open. Closing your accounts back home is a bad idea IMHO. I for sure don't want to rely on just the Cambodian banking system.
I hear you. I don't live in the UK anymore but my bank is open there so maybe I'd be better off transferring the funds into my UK bank first.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic