What's up with Sihanoukville lately?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
JackRoad
Expatriate

What's up with Sihanoukville lately?

Post by JackRoad »

Does anyone have any insight as to why they seem to be drawing a hardline on the foreigners/overstayers lately? With the Russian dude it's obvious, but aside from that it seems like something's changed, when nothing has changed with the powers that be.
I've spent lots of time in the KOW and have never been asked for my papers.
Same is true with the work permit stuff. I'm curious what the end game is here, as they obviously don't care about the people.
I am surprised none of these expats were able to cough it up and buy the visa post shakedown. Surely that would be cheaper for them. Unless it wasn't an option, which seems impossible.
What's up?
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him.
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Re: What's up with Sihanoukville lately?

Post by TheGrinchSR »

You can blame the Kazantip Festival for your good fortunes. The new guy installed after the failure of the last one to prevent crime... has led to a certain zealotry in pursuing duties when it comes to illegals in SHV... about time too.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
JackRoad
Expatriate

Post by JackRoad »

That makes sense.
They should have organized it in Pattaya, seems like a better fit.
I'm surprised they even bothered pushing back on the Russians. It says a lot when they're turning away tourist$ of any kind.
Cheers
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Things have been way too anarchic down there for way too long, and the recent events with foreigners (whether Russian/Turkish/whatever) getting into all sorts of quarrels and disregarding the law brought things to a head. The police chief was replaced, and the new chief has been given clear orders to clean up the place. So far it seems to be working. Keep your nose clean and your documents in order and you should have nothing to be concerned about.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
BOFH
Expatriate

Post by BOFH »

John Bingham wrote:Keep your nose clean and your documents in order and you should have nothing to be concerned about.
Until they run out of people to arrest and start planting evidence to maintain their track record like on Khaosan.

:stir:
markd
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Post by markd »

planting evidence is the oldest trick of corruption. its as old as the oldest profession in the world. maybe older.
thru shit to more shit
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

im surprised at the amount of people overstaying their visas, theyre not hard to extend
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:im surprised at the amount of people overstaying their visas, theyre not hard to extend
Yeah I don't get that much either, it can't be past crimes because they got in in the first place. And they don't all seem to be wanted back home which would make a new passport when expired difficult. If you're going to stay long term then you must have some sort of funds, does 0.75 cents to a dollar a day really make a difference given the risk or consequences when caught. I can understand the snowball financial effect once they make the decision but why make that decision in the first place.

I'm just surprised at the numbers they're pulling in, must be taking the laid back lifestyle to the extreme and be in a permanent state of apathy.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Post by The Add Jay »

The govt is letting snookie fall to shit and once nothing is left but crumbling buildings they will sell off the land to developers to build hotels and resorts.
You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.

Ordinem ad Imperium
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

The Add Jay wrote:The govt is letting snookie fall to shit and once nothing is left but crumbling buildings they will sell off the land to developers to build hotels and resorts.
How does one let something that was under a metre of shit go lower?
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic