Surrender? overstay? Not so fast. Where?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Surrender? overstay? Not so fast. Where?

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

bossho wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:30 am Instruct your friend to employ diplomacy at all times. He needs to get in touch in writing with his embassy and ask them to please apply for voluntary deportation. It is now a fairly lengthy process and your friend needs to wait for the Cambodian government to accept and grant the deportation. In this case nothing happens without his embassy writing the Cambodian Immigration authorities first. The GDI across from the airport is overcrowded and they don't want him there. Consider that a blessing. His embassy may need encouragement to write that letter on his behalf.
This...the Immigration Detention Centre is full, basically they don't want to detain people because they have no space :facepalm: :lol:

As others have mentioned, try exiting via land border, more likely to be detained there.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

AndyKK wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:17 am
phuketrichard wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:46 am land borders all open with Thailand, ( avoid Poi Pet) Vietnam and laos, ( only laos has zero restrictions for entry other than double vacc'd and offers voa)
if he doesn't have the overstay fee , He MIGHT be able to negotiate a lessor fee

If they turn him down......
What would be the outcome of that I wonder? They take less money or he gets locked up, leaving the embassy to step in and help. What about the other only option, cross the border with the migrant workers.
LOL

no idea what they would do .
They have 3 choices;
1, tell you to fuck off
2. take ur money and let you go
3. arrest you and send you back to PP

In 87/88 i used to cross back and forth illegally between Boi Rai an Pailin Province

BUT if you try and cross as a migrant, your departing without going thru Immigration, you will have no stamp exiting, and they wont let you in without a departure stamp from previous county, so you will need enter illegally and when you try and leave there.......
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:43 pm
AndyKK wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:17 am
phuketrichard wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:46 am land borders all open with Thailand, ( avoid Poi Pet) Vietnam and laos, ( only laos has zero restrictions for entry other than double vacc'd and offers voa)
if he doesn't have the overstay fee , He MIGHT be able to negotiate a lessor fee

If they turn him down......
What would be the outcome of that I wonder? They take less money or he gets locked up, leaving the embassy to step in and help. What about the other only option, cross the border with the migrant workers.
LOL

no idea what they would do .
They have 3 choices;
1, tell you to fuck off
2. take ur money and let you go
3. arrest you and send you back to PP

In 87/88 i used to cross back and forth illegally between Boi Rai an Pailin Province

BUT if you try and cross as a migrant, your departing without going thru Immigration, you will have no stamp exiting, and they wont let you in without a departure stamp from previous county, so you will need enter illegally and when you try and leave there.......
You will need enter illegally and when you try and leave there.......
Well he don't have the money to pay the fine here, I would think the sentence maybe less in Thailand, and I would think better chance of the embassy helping you there.
But they are more likely to send him back to Cambodia. :?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Are visa agents in Cambodia able to help at all?

I know its a different country, but two of my friends who had multi-year overstays in Vietnam were able to negotiate a quite reasonable overstay fee and new visa through agents a few years ago.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

sigmoid wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:28 pm Are visa agents in Cambodia able to help at all?

I know its a different country, but two of my friends who had multi-year overstays in Vietnam were able to negotiate a quite reasonable overstay fee and new visa through agents a few years ago.
Visa agents can help to a small degree with negotiating the overstay fine, but not significantly.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

ofparadise wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:15 pm
Does anyone know where a person can surrender to for Visa overstay issues?

We are trying this location tomorrow:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/depar ... 51,18.28z/

Any advice? :unknown:
Try the DoI HQ on NR1, but they'll likely just redirect him to the DoI Visa Office at Pochentong again

https://goo.gl/maps/Spbe6WiA9CEEszcc9
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Any headway for the person who overstayed?
ofparadise
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ofparadise »

He is in discussions now with the relevant ministry via a 3rd-party. He has not been arrested and has found a place to stay. When I have more information, I'll update this thread. As of now, things are moving, but slowly.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Immigration Department plans to ‘strictly investigate’ foreigners whose visas and passports have expired
In a meeting yesterday, the General Administration of Immigration in Cambodia vowed to strictly investigate and crackdown on foreigners who are in Cambodia with expired visas and passports.

.................In addition, foreigners living in Cambodia should be strictly investigated to check that their passports and visas are both valid and unexpired.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501077654/ ... e_vignette
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:32 am Immigration Department plans to ‘strictly investigate’ foreigners whose visas and passports have expired
In a meeting yesterday, the General Administration of Immigration in Cambodia vowed to strictly investigate and crackdown on foreigners who are in Cambodia with expired visas and passports.

.................In addition, foreigners living in Cambodia should be strictly investigated to check that their passports and visas are both valid and unexpired.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501077654/ ... e_vignette
That should be an easy task now with the FPCS app :stir:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic