Where to next?... Australia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
HappyChappy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Where to next?... Australia?

Post by HappyChappy »

So boarders are opening, I'm thinking of going to Vietnam and teaching there. Thing is, I've come to the conclusion that even though I love the job, getting onto the property ladder is going to be a bit difficult on what little wage I get.

APPARENTLY there's some fairly well paid work in Australia and they need people there, does anyone here know much about the job market and how easy it is to get a working visa over there?? I'm keen to make back some of the money I lost during the COVID situation.......
roadman
Expatriate

Re: Where to next?... Australia?

Post by roadman »

Hey mate,
I'm in Oz right now. There are jobs everywhere.
RE visa, if you are under 30 it is easy. Over 30 you will need some sort of speciality with qualifications to get a visa.
roadman
Expatriate

Post by roadman »

So boarders are opening, I'm thinking of going to Vietnam and teaching there

Borders dude, borders. Teaching may not be your best bet. :D
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

roadman wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:59 pm Hey mate,
I'm in Oz right now. There are jobs everywhere.
RE visa, if you are under 30 it is easy. Over 30 you will need some sort of speciality with qualifications to get a visa.
They taking Americans?
roadman
Expatriate

Post by roadman »

Yanks are always welcome in Australia. I'd say an Americans applying for a visa would be at the top of the list just after UK.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Don’t go to Brisbane, there’s a housing crisis
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
roadman
Expatriate

Post by roadman »

I'm in QLD and what Violet says is true. Plenty of work though. Just been to Tassie and Victoria....every other shop has a help wanted sign.

There are a lot of homeless people nowadays. But there is a lot of work available. Make of that what you will.

Rentals are sky-high. Cops pushing people out of places where folks live in cars. I cannot make sense of it all to be honest.

If you want a job in Australia it is easy. Just everything is super expensive.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

I wouldn't recommend Australia. They handled Covid in the manner of a totalitarian regime, it's a cultural backwater, the weather or more to the point the sun is horrendous and its not much more than a few generic faux European cities on the edge of a massive desert.

Edit: No offence intended to any aussies on here. Just a personal opinion. I hated the place. My least favorite country I have ever visited.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Heaps of jobs on farms, fruit and vegetable picking . Try staying at Backpacker hostels in Bundaberg under $200 per week and they will arrange jobs and transport for you. Minimum wage $20 per hour.
roadman
Expatriate

Post by roadman »

Tootsfriend, I think the minimum wage is 27 AUD now. I know some Khmers here working on farms, they usually get around 23 AUD hourly when paid cash.
As stated earlier, accommodation is the major obstacle. Maybe buying a minivan like a Kombi and living out of that is the cheapest option.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic