Entering Vietnam on e-visa, May 2022

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
BraveMM1990
Tourist
Cambodia

Re: Entering Vietnam on e-visa, May 2022

Post by BraveMM1990 »

ExPenhMan wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:51 pm @BraveMM1990 Thanks for the report.

I really hated my one-night stays in HCMC early in May, which I transit through in order to use the fast ferry to Vung Tau. Motorcyclists' utter disregard for pedestrians on the sidewalks, shop entrances, driveways and intersections really hit me hard this time. It seemed worse, in fact. Could be I'm not as fast on my feet as I used to be. Or it really was worse than ever.

Walked from west of Nguyen Hue pedestrian mall all the way to past Hai Ba Trung. Due to a big football match (VN vs Malaysia), a band started playing at 5 pm on the mall at ear-splitting volume such that I had to keep my ears plugged for many blocks. Arrived at a Nordic restaurant that I was told by email was open, only to find out from the owner that they have no cook. This was after being told on arrival that the kitchen was functioning. Yet, some Viet customers(?) were eating. WTF?

If I return to VT, I'll be taking a limo straight from SGN Airport to VT.
It seems like the whole country is on edge.
I was feeling this too and it possibly might be blamed on coming out of hard times.

I got hit on by so many girls in Vung Tau, hit on really hard. I knew them all only from working in restaurants and bars over the years. These multiple incidents started to make me very uncomfortable as I got to expect many 'oh oh, here it comes" moments. Mind you, I was sometimes the only customer. Vung Tau was a very empty town. Background: I do not seek the company of bar girls any more but will certainly buy the odd drink. I just like to chat with friends, though many were missing and stuck back home.

As for "rudeness and hostility," can't say I've experienced this very much in southern Vietnam. The last time was a dozen years ago in Hanoi. Did not like the vibe there at all and haven't been back. Never been to Dalat or Nha Trang largely because they are heavily touristed destinations.

This past trip had a negative vibe to it, topped off by Vietjet leaving (a rather empty) SGN Airport late yet again. I almost always fly VN Air these days but they arrived in BKK in the evening so took VJ to get there after noon hour.
I flew with Bamboo Airways and it was also a terrible experience. Horrible on the ground staff taking ages to verify documents despite everything being straight foward, while also being unfriendly and unorganized, horrible food on the plane, 40 minute delay. It really summed up my experience of "customer service" in Vietnam in general. They are still clueless after all these years.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic