A young man hangs himself after mom refuses to get him wife

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

A young man hangs himself after mom refuses to get him wife

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

A young Cambodian man was upset , because his mother didn't go to betroth a wife for him. So he hung himself.

Kandal: A young Cambodian wanted to have a wife, so he forced his mother to get him a wife, but his mother refused it, thought he was just kidding, moreover she didn't have enough money. This caused the young to feel so upset and he decided to end his. His decision left everyone (family members and neighbors) speechless.

This incident occurred around 10:00 pm on 16 May 2015 at Romlex village, Toul Prech commune, Angsnol district, Kandal province. The young man names Peng Mork, 25 years old living in above address. He was a factory worker. He worked in garment factory.

Source from the officer, three days before the incident happened he forced his mother to betroth someone in the village that he loved and wanted to marry her, however the mother ignored with it as she thought that he was just joking with her, moreover she didn't have enough money. Then, on that day he went to the backyard and hung himself with the tree. After they learned (family members and neighbors) that they all were surprised and speechless and couldn't believe that he could had done that. The mother said, she was not realize that his son was that serious. She was so upset as she lost her lovely son. She had never thought that he could do this.
Spoiler:
Engrish
Spoiler:
Youth mother, wife, fiance tie.

Article: Star

Sunday, May 17, 2015 16:36 pm

Kandal: a young man's wife too forced to the virgin mother, but the mother refused because they think that children say play a little money to make the young man very upset to think short, no longer want to live decided to tie. kill themselves cause death immediately customized and made family, close friends and relatives far Ironically everyone.

The incident took place at about 10 pm on 16 May 2015 at the Tuol Mat village commune Tuol Angsnoul tighers Highlights Kandal. A young man named Peng Grandma Deny, 25, a resident of the village commune upper garment factory occupations.

According to an official source, said that before the incident, the upper 3-day youth forced into sdeidandoeng mother bride who loves her and intends to take a wife. Meanwhile, the woman not be ignored because they are not supposed chat In addition, less money, but when the scene suddenly the young man out of the house to the hill above, and suicide. himself die only once.

The same has been said that while making the families and relatives Ironically sharply because it does not think that such a short young man thought nothing The woman, the mother did not have interesting facts that one of his sons, he is a very dont.

He was very sad to lose one of his beloved son, think like this, he does not miss such a short boy.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Re: A young man hangs himself after mom refuses to get him w

Post by Samouth »

Another stupid reason to die young.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I'm 99% sure this has been already posted.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:I'm 99% sure this has been already posted.
you meant this one ?
https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/newswor ... t4679.html

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Advocatus Diaboli
Expatriate

Post by Advocatus Diaboli »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote:. His decision left everyone (family members and neighbors) speechless.
They were speechless this time. Normally it causes surprise. I'm speechless.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

That's what I thought too - but it's not the same name or same age or commune in Kandal Province.
Samouth wrote:
you meant this one ?
A copycat suicide, or maybe the "journalist" is just recycling news and changing details ? Don't think so though.It probably happens more often than we think it does.

How "pathetic", in every sense, that a 25 year old guy would kill himself because his mother said he couldn't get married.Terrible.
The big problem is the money needed for a wedding - as a barang, I really can't get my head around the amount of money that extremely poor people are expected to spend on the wedding ceremony and party. I suppose this was why his mother said he couldn't get married. I know how important this is in Khmer culture - a guy I know went to a money-lender - he "needed" $2000 to get married - but, it still seems crazy to me.
And surely it's not good for society as a whole to have all these young guys who can't have sex before marriage and can't afford to get married ?
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Anchor Moy wrote:
That's what I thought too - but it's not the same name or same age or commune in Kandal Province.
Samouth wrote:
you meant this one ?
A copycat suicide, or maybe the "journalist" is just recycling news and changing details ? Don't think so though.It probably happens more often than we think it does.

How "pathetic", in every sense, that a 25 year old guy would kill himself because his mother said he couldn't get married.Terrible.
The big problem is the money needed for a wedding - as a barang, I really can't get my head around the amount of money that extremely poor people are expected to spend on the wedding ceremony and party. I suppose this was why his mother said he couldn't get married. I know how important this is in Khmer culture - a guy I know went to a money-lender - he "needed" $2000 to get married - but, it still seems crazy to me.
And surely it's not good for society as a whole to have all these young guys who can't have sex before marriage and can't afford to get married ?
This is really stupid. i will never do that. In the city the lowest amount of dowry is $5000.

prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

It's not the same.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

prahkeitouj wrote:
It's not the same.
We know that Little salary. That makes it worse don't you think so ? In about two weeks, two young guys in Kandal Province have hung themselves because they can't (afford to) get married. Also, in Khmer society, it is very important to get married. Marriage is a big step in your life; it is like passing into adulthood.
For many westerners, it is not such a big deal to get married - you can stay single or you can live with someone without getting married. BUT we can also get married with no money or very little. We have more choices about how we live.
It's so sad to see kids killing themselves because they feel that they have no choice - they have money=get married: have no money= no wife.
:(
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Anchor Moy wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:
It's not the same.
We know that Little salary. That makes it worse don't you think so ? In about two weeks, two young guys in Kandal Province have hung themselves because they can't (afford to) get married. Also, in Khmer society, it is very important to get married. Marriage is a big step in your life; it is like passing into adulthood.
For many westerners, it is not such a big deal to get married - you can stay single or you can live with someone without getting married. BUT we can also get married with no money or very little. We have more choices about how we live.
It's so sad to see kids killing themselves because they feel that they have no choice - they have money=get married: have no money= no wife.
:(
You are right Anchor Moy, we don't have many choices in life or how we want to live our life. Marriage is really important for us. Sometime even though we don't want to get married, but our family will force us to do so. They see it as our obligation that we need to do. i was lucky enough that my family understand me and just let me do whatever i want to and don't really care how i want to live my life as long as i don't do bad things. Our culture is suck when it comes to talk about keeping the virginity until you get married. Here it comes to talk again about saving face. if we live together without marriage, we will technically degrade the reputation of our family. The neighbour will talk bad about our family and the news will soon be spread in the whole community. Social pressure and acceptance, people would be soon to judge you if they saw you walking with prostitute or into the brothel, however, i somehow believe that this can help saving people from killing themselves. They can just go, get the service and pay the money. Not to mention, selling sex toys is illegal in Cambodia while the majority of the country in the world make it legal. Also, i wonder if these people know that is something they could help themselves
Spoiler:
Masturbation :facepalm:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic