A young man hangs himself after mom refuses to get him wife

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: A young man hangs himself after mom refuses to get him w

Post by StroppyChops »

Samouth wrote:
Spoiler:
Masturbation :facepalm:

You're either doing it wrong, or very limber.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

Anchor Moy wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:I'm 99% sure this has been already posted.
It's not the same.
We know that Little salary. That makes it worse don't you think so ? In about two weeks, two young guys in Kandal Province have hung themselves because they can't (afford to) get married. Also, in Khmer society, it is very important to get married. Marriage is a big step in your life; it is like passing into adulthood.
For many westerners, it is not such a big deal to get married - you can stay single or you can live with someone without getting married. BUT we can also get married with no money or very little. We have more choices about how we live.
It's so sad to see kids killing themselves because they feel that they have no choice - they have money=get married: have no money= no wife.
:(
I agree 50% with your idea. Yes, you have more choices and self-independent than us. That's why I appreciate you. In Cambodia people value family is priority so marriage is very important for us. I think it is difficult to raise up a family for a man can't even earn enought money for his marriage, but he shouldn't kill himself. If you don't have money you still have wife. I saw a couple on facebok who married without money. They just bought some fruits and considered they are husband and wife. Khmer call Sen. If you don't have money , you can do a very small wedding.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

Samouth wrote:
You are right Anchor Moy, we don't have many choices in life or how we want to live our life. Marriage is really important for us. Sometime even though we don't want to get married, but our family will force us to do so. They see it as our obligation that we need to do. i was lucky enough that my family understand me and just let me do whatever i want to and don't really care how i want to live my life as long as i don't do bad things. Our culture is suck when it comes to talk about keeping the virginity until you get married. Here it comes to talk again about saving face. if we live together without marriage, we will technically degrade the reputation of our family. The neighbour will talk bad about our family and the news will soon be spread in the whole community. Social pressure and acceptance, people would be soon to judge you if they saw you walking with prostitute or into the brothel, however, i somehow believe that this can help saving people from killing themselves. They can just go, get the service and pay the money. Not to mention, selling sex toys is illegal in Cambodia while the majority of the country in the world make it legal. Also, i wonder if these people know that is something they could help themselves
Spoiler:
I agree that prostitues can reduce raping, cheating on women and attract tourists. :p
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

StroppyChops wrote:
Samouth wrote:
Spoiler:

You're either doing it wrong, or very limber.

Never have done it wrong. So many decent informations available on Internet about the subject to read. :lol: :lol:
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic