Moving to Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Moving to Cambodia

Post by phuketrichard »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:08 pm To start with, get the E-type (Ordinary) Visa on Arrival, $35, valid for 1 month. Then go to a Visa agency, apply for a 12 month EB (Business) EOS (Extension of Stay)... officially this requires all sorts of business/employment related supporting documentation, but the majority of Visa agencies provide this at an extra cost.
yep and going to need do same thing for ur partner :-)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:48 am seems to me, you have never visited asia ( or in Cambodia's case, SE Asia)
yet you want move here?

suggest at least a short 1 month visit and DONT give up anything back home

If i had the choice and had an income of $2,000+/month
I'd choose Thailand over Cambodia ever day of the week<
start ur own company (* what you would need do in Cambodia for visa as well) and settle there
thailand offers a work visa you could apply for in ur case or a 5 year visa ( costly)
I didn't see the OP asking for your opinion on where you would move to if you had a choice?

I'm guessing you are not residing in Cambodia by choice, but unfortunately by circumstance?

Have you thought of applying for work at T.A.T? (Tourism Authority of Thailand) you are an outspoken advocate of Thailand on a CAMBODIAN EXPAT FORUM!

Luckily there is a special place in the sun for you on this forum its called - Thailand News and Discussion

Sorry to take the OP's thread off topic, but it seems like a hobby that you get away with week after week. :please:
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Cyber-Wizard wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:27 am
phuketrichard wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:57 am have u ever been to Cambodia?
oif NOT, why Cambodia?
Hi, no never been there, but hope to be some day.

Well I love Asian Culture, plus Cambodia has great weather and to what I've read, are friendly and welcoming.

So, why not Cambodia? :)
Try it for three months, it's a great place to live. :)
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

Cyber-Wizard wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:31 pm
Darkcel wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:25 pm Op when you do come here I have some magic beans and some land to sell you, cheeeaaap.

20m x 20m in kampong Thom for a measley 500k soft title
Sounds great, but I'm not moving to Cambodia now, It's clearly not safe for me and my girlfriend.

However, I'm a 7 foot 2 inch body builder professionally trained in martial arts such as kelsi, krav maga, jeet kune do but to name a few! My girlfriend is 4 foot 2 inch.
I wouldn't let random posters on a forum change your mind on moving somewhere mate, But I agree with Roz, move over for a few months maybe into a serviced apartment in a convenient location, not too far out of the city centre and see how it goes. :thumb:
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

rozzieoz wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:49 am
Cyber-Wizard wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:27 am
phuketrichard wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:57 am have u ever been to Cambodia?
oif NOT, why Cambodia?
Hi, no never been there, but hope to be some day.

Well I love Asian Culture, plus Cambodia has great weather and to what I've read, are friendly and welcoming.

So, why not Cambodia? :)
Try it for three months, it's a great place to live. :)
Sounds vague. Could you elaborate a bit, please?

What's so great about living in Cambodia?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Cyber-Wizard wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:37 pm
CSS wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:33 pm
Cyber-Wizard wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:09 pm
CSS wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:06 pm I don't know many countries as easy to waltz into as Cambodia so there is really no preparation needed at all, just some cash. Also this is a hell of a thread nice work, all. :stir:
I'm clearly not welcome, so i'll look elsewhere.

And yes this is an awesome thread :hattip:
I think it would be slightly foolish to have a disagreement with some people on some random forum then decide upon presence in a different country, but do as you please of course.
You talk a lot of sense, but they don't like me, it's because I'm Irish isn't it?
I doubt it. Who doesn't like the Irish!
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Alex wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:19 am I doubt it. Who doesn't like the Irish!
You believe in the Irish? Dude, that's a conspiracy theory.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Cyber-Wizard wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:56 pm
Nixon wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:41 pm
Cyber-Wizard wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:13 pm
nemo wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:09 pm Q- where Hee Haw meets The Twilight Zone.
:lol:

All I wanted to know was information on Visa's.

How did it come to this? :lol:
Because you are asking a bunch of degenerate drunks for advice on internet. Do what you want to do and for accurate information on your visa, contact the embassy. You don’t need “help” from members here, and if you end up here you will see that very clearly.

Good luck on your adventures!
I don't think i'll bother now. I bet any money the locals are friendlier than the expats LOL
People are people, whatever their nationality or cultures. Moving here, I don't have to tell you, that you are going to be a minority in another country than that of your own.
You asked expats questions, there's lots of threads about E visas, and other sites too. But I think that question had already been answered for you.
I know nothing about working online, so I have no advice for you in your own field of work. But I have had a business here, the authorities may, will have you jumping through hoops and back again, but this is the east and not the west.
You seem to give up very easily, I would say consider giving it a try here first, if it doesn't suit your needs, you haven't lost anything, and can easily move on if needed.
Good luck.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

Cyber-Wizard wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:31 pm
Darkcel wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:25 pm Op when you do come here I have some magic beans and some land to sell you, cheeeaaap.

20m x 20m in kampong Thom for a measley 500k soft title
Sounds great, but I'm not moving to Cambodia now, It's clearly not safe for me and my girlfriend.

However, I'm a 7 foot 2 inch body builder professionally trained in martial arts such as kelsi, krav maga, jeet kune do but to name a few! My girlfriend is 4 foot 2 inch.
It's okay, whatever tussle you'd be in here 10 motodops will spring from the shadows and beat your ass

7 foot 2 inches, the two inches must come from down below
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Nixon wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:41 pm
Cyber-Wizard wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:13 pm All I wanted to know was information on Visa's.

How did it come to this? :lol:
Because you are asking a bunch of degenerate drunks for advice on internet. Do what you want to do and for accurate information on your visa, contact the embassy. You don’t need “help” from members here, and if you end up here you will see that very clearly.

Good luck on your adventures!
I’ll take you up on a few points here. There may be some degenerate drunks responding; there’s certainly a troll or two, but by and large the expats that I’ve encountered in Cambodia cover a pretty broad spectrum.
The short term visitors seem to have a higher proportion of outright drunks and cheap shag seekers, the longer term expats seem a far more stable group. Relatively speaking.

As for getting accurate information about the visa, my experience dealing with the Cambodian consulate in London is that they may be the least likely to be able to give it. They still refer to the Ordinary visa as a business visa.

PSD-kiwi is probably the most informative on the subject, for a number of reasons.

1. He seems to travel here a lot, and even during COVID and all of its arbitrary restrictions, managed to navigate the system.
2. He speaks English, and communicates in English, and can relate the sometimes broken or hard to follow logic of the Khmer officialdom to real world logical thinking. I’ve found that many of the Khmer officials who read English, cannot in fact accurately comprehend their own official documents as they are written/translated.
3. There are plenty of expat members here that will be more than capable, and likely invaluable, in providing help.

The conspiracy nut stuff will firmly position a person within a certain type of expats, and either be a big distraction, or a reason for isolation. In either of those cases, the chance is that a lot of the things about Cambodia that are attractive to other expats are likely to be missed completely.

In answer to some of the original post, an EG ordinary visa (threads mention these- ask the expats), extend for a while through a visa agent such as Kim (visa threads mention her).

Cambodia is more raw, than say the familiar parts of Thailand (some). COVID provided some very good examples of just how fragile and precarious being in Cambodia can be for expats. The culture isn’t a mishmash of the region- there’ll not be the same feeling as Malaya for instance.
Nothing stays the same, and every opinion expressed here is highly subjective.

*ps. This reply is mostly aimed at anyone stumbling across the thread with similar questions.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic