Laos OPENS

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Laos OPENS

Post by phuketrichard »

CSS wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:53 pm
Alex wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:17 am
CSS wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:19 am Luang Prabang is quite nice and it has quite a lot of nature and quiet atmosphere. It is also convenient for visa runs, as far as I can tell.
Assuming that you mean a visa run from China, using a Chinese high-speed train, yes. :please:
Perhaps mentioning laos for visa runs in a way that one would presume related to Cambodia is confusing, I'd known people who live in north vietnam and north thailand to use laos for visa runs because access to myanmar and China is more difficult.
as John said, LP is nearly 5-6 hours by bus from the Thai/laos border, Where as Vientiane is a 10 minute tuk tuk ride .
and PRE covid,
Burma was a great place to do turn around ( 1 hour or less) visa runs if ur in the south, middle or north of Thailand
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
CSS
Expatriate
Switzerland

Post by CSS »

John Bingham wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:59 pm
CSS wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:19 am Luang Prabang is quite nice and it has quite a lot of nature and quiet atmosphere. It is also convenient for visa runs, as far as I can tell.
Assuming that you mean a visa run from China, using a Chinese high-speed train, yes. :please:
Perhaps mentioning laos for visa runs in a way that one would presume related to Cambodia is confusing, I'd known people who live in north vietnam and north thailand to use laos for visa runs because access to myanmar and China is more difficult.
The point is that Luang Prabang is far from the border.
OH of course that is the misunderstanding. I meant Laos is convenient for border runs to many people, not luang prabang. Forgive me.
:D :D :D
Cheers
CSS
Expatriate
Switzerland

Post by CSS »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:07 pm
as John said, LP is nearly 5-6 hours by bus from the Thai/laos border, Where as Vientiane is a 10 minute tuk tuk ride .
and PRE covid,
Burma was a great place to do turn around ( 1 hour or less) visa runs if ur in the south, middle or north of Thailand
I should have been more specific in the second part of my statement that I meant Laos in general for visa runs. Myanmar seems wonderful but the period of peace seems to have predictably ended and put an end to that nice option.
:D :D :D
Cheers
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Long queues (lines) for petrol stations as fuel crisis hits Laos
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/lo ... os-2675776

Hopefully, Laos won't follow the same path as Sri Lanka, but has many of the same problems:
Importers have been hit by a drop in the kip currency since September, combined with low foreign exchange reserves and the soaring price of oil, driven by the war in Ukraine.

Dara Khiosompon, the manager of Settah Travel, told AFP on Tuesday that the company was struggling to fill up its tour buses.

Laos needs 120 million litres of fuel a month but importers are only able to source 20 million litres, the paper reported.

...the country is trying to source cheap fuel from Russia, according to local media.

..................................................................................................................................

Government officials are also urging residents to carpool and use public transport, while British ambassador John Pearson tweeted it was "a good time to have an electric car".

Australian National University associate professor Keith Barney said the Laos economy has been under growing pressure for some time.

"It's not out of the blue ... All the red signals were flashing
," he told AFP.

The inflation rate reached 9.9 per cent in April, up from 2 per cent in January 2021, according to the statistics bureau.

Laos is up to its eyeballs in Chinese loans for mega infrastructure projects including hydro-electricity dams and its first railway link that opened last year.

Debt has climbed to a dizzying US$13.3 billion - almost three quarters of gross domestic product.

In August 2020, global credit agency Moody's downgraded the nation's credit rating to junk status, soon followed by Fitch, making it harder for the government to secure loans.
(in case you haven't been following events in Sri Lanka):

Shoot-on-sight orders issued to quell (stop) Sri Lanka riots
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Vang Vieng Criticized for Unscrupulous Price Gouging
Vang Vieng has faced criticism for raising prices as individual tourists and group tours, many from neighboring Thailand, flock to the town. The boom in tourism has provided much-needed income for the economy, but has also become an opportunity for price gouging among unscrupulous tourism businesses.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Vendors have been accused of taking advantage of the fluctuating exchange rate between the Lao kip and the Thai baht, overcharging unwitting visitors.

Local residents have taken to social media to raise the issue, with some saying that room rates in the town have tripled, while the cost of food and drink in some eateries increasing by 400 percent.
Full article:

https://laotiantimes.com/2022/07/19/van ... e-gouging/
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic