Laos OPENS

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Laos OPENS

Post by xandreu »

I can't think of a single reason I'd ever want to go to Laos. I'll admit it's probably because I know very little about the place, but I often think of it as a the Belgium of Asia. It seems to lack anything of any unique cultural interest, especially when compared to its neighbours.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I'd like to revisit Vientiane to sip some Beer Lao on the Mekong, and combine that with a trip on the new high speed train to Luang Phabang. Preferably before our mainland Chinese friends get to travel abroad again. Other more remote places will have to wait until im retired.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

xandreu wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:02 am I can't think of a single reason I'd ever want to go to Laos. I'll admit it's probably because I know very little about the place, but I often think of it as a the Belgium of Asia. It seems to lack anything of any unique cultural interest, especially when compared to its neighbours.
If you go to Laos in this state of mind you will be very (positively) surprised.
work is for people who cant find truffles
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:34 am Vang Vieng in 2012 was a full on party town with lots of beer, whiskey and dope, ( Ganga, Opium, Magic mushrooms)
Government decided that was not what they wanted, ( people were floating down the river in inner tubes and stopping for drinks along the way and jumping off cliffs into the water where more than a few died or were injured )
so the next year, when returned, it was all different, quiet and peaceful and everything was closed at 10 pm
I went to Vang Vien before, during and after the hype. Over half the businesses were still closed on my last visit, but most locals were happy that the bad spirits had gone.
work is for people who cant find truffles
CSS
Expatriate
Switzerland

Post by CSS »

xandreu wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:02 am I can't think of a single reason I'd ever want to go to Laos. I'll admit it's probably because I know very little about the place, but I often think of it as a the Belgium of Asia. It seems to lack anything of any unique cultural interest, especially when compared to its neighbours.
Luang Prabang is quite nice and it has quite a lot of nature and quiet atmosphere. It is also convenient for visa runs, as far as I can tell.
:D :D :D
Cheers
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

CSS wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:19 am
Luang Prabang is quite nice and it has quite a lot of nature and quiet atmosphere. It is also convenient for visa runs, as far as I can tell.
HUH??? ever look at a map?
:facepalm:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

CSS wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:19 am Luang Prabang is quite nice and it has quite a lot of nature and quiet atmosphere. It is also convenient for visa runs, as far as I can tell.
Assuming that you mean a visa run from China, using a Chinese high-speed train, yes. :please:
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Heres some pics of laos dating back to 2009
The road trips started in Phuket-Northern Thailand-across the Mekong- Luang Namtha- Luang Prabang- Vientiane- Surin- Siem Rep- Kep-Trat-Phuket I love being on the road :-)

https://phuket.zenfolio.com/p408083573
https://phuket.zenfolio.com/p409010745
https://phuket.zenfolio.com/p348797983
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
CSS
Expatriate
Switzerland

Post by CSS »

Alex wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:17 am
CSS wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:19 am Luang Prabang is quite nice and it has quite a lot of nature and quiet atmosphere. It is also convenient for visa runs, as far as I can tell.
Assuming that you mean a visa run from China, using a Chinese high-speed train, yes. :please:
Perhaps mentioning laos for visa runs in a way that one would presume related to Cambodia is confusing, I'd known people who live in north vietnam and north thailand to use laos for visa runs because access to myanmar and China is more difficult.
:D :D :D
Cheers
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

CSS wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:53 pm
Alex wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:17 am
Perhaps mentioning laos for visa runs in a way that one would presume related to Cambodia is confusing, I'd known people who live in north vietnam and north thailand to use laos for visa runs because access to myanmar and China is more difficult.
The point is that Luang Prabang is far from the border.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic