Dirt bike rentals in PP

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
roadman
Expatriate

Re: Dirt bike rentals in PP

Post by roadman »

Roads lately I have used in bad condition -
I like to travel from Kampong Cham via Koh Pen, getting the ferry to Chi He Market then following the river via the left side, until you get to road 314 (both roads have no tarmac left) until again reaching highway 8 at the Prey Sla junction, turning right on highway 8 (like a minefield of potholes).
Highway 8 to the junction of Kompong Popil Market, turning left and following the river (left or right banks) has tarmac for a little way, then dirt. Then ferry at Lvea Aem to Chber Ampov (Phnom Penh).

Hey Andy, I sussed this route on maps and it looks like a fun way to ride up to Kampong Cham. How long does it usually take you? I've got it pegged at around 120km but you said the roads are bad.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

roadman wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:59 pm Roads lately I have used in bad condition -
I like to travel from Kampong Cham via Koh Pen, getting the ferry to Chi He Market then following the river via the left side, until you get to road 314 (both roads have no tarmac left) until again reaching highway 8 at the Prey Sla junction, turning right on highway 8 (like a minefield of potholes).
Highway 8 to the junction of Kompong Popil Market, turning left and following the river (left or right banks) has tarmac for a little way, then dirt. Then ferry at Lvea Aem to Chber Ampov (Phnom Penh).

Hey Andy, I sussed this route on maps and it looks like a fun way to ride up to Kampong Cham. How long does it usually take you? I've got it pegged at around 120km but you said the roads are bad.
The road from Chi He Market following the river was in excellent condition last year, but now no tarmac and many ruts to avoid, after that road 314 had lots of gravel in places, but dirt in others. Not so much fun on my 400cc.
It's the shortest route to Kampong Cham but because of the condition of the roads took me some time. But I do stop a lot to enjoy the view and take photos.

Last bit of road 314 -

The ferry, all ferry's cost 1000reil for the bike, and 1000reil per person -
Always "hope" but never "expect".
roadman
Expatriate

Post by roadman »

Thanks man. I appreciate the tips. I reckon I'll do that run.

Nice bike by the way, it probably likes a bit more tarmac though. Then again, it is a bike....ride em!
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

roadman wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:16 pm Thanks man. I appreciate the tips. I reckon I'll do that run.

Nice bike by the way, it probably likes a bit more tarmac though. Then again, it is a bike....ride em!
Took the longest route other day came from Kampong Cham to Phnom Penh via highways 7, 11, 1. Got caught out with heavy rain on highway 11. But a good run on the Honda MSX. About 4 hours.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Cooldude wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:35 amThere's adventure and then there's adventure with a broke-down bike in the middle of nowhere. The last time I rented bikes from Angkor was a nightmare because of poorly maintained and just plain worn-out bikes. Two friends and myself were in the middle of the Cardamoms when one of the bikes broke. The area the bike broke down in looked like something out of Apocolypse Now from illegal logging. I walked to the nearest loggers tent and bought a length of old rope from them and towed my friend from that area through mountains and streams for approximately 40 miles until we got to Pram Muoy where we were hostage to the local bike mechanic. Had to tow one of their bikes a second time a year later when a friend's bike broke down about ten miles before the Stung Treng ferry. All you'll get out of Angkor is a bunch of lame excuses. I know it's all part of the adventure but it really gets old after awhile.
I used to spend quite a bit of time in the area around Angkor dirt bikes and watched them taking their test rides. One of the backyard mechanics would get on the bike and ride it from the shop down 51 to street 174. Hang a left on 174 to Norodom and back to 172 and 172 back to 51. With that 2 minute ride around the block, the bike was deemed fit to rent to the next sucker.
Haha, true. That being said, I've seen the same happen to people who rented from the other shops mentioned here (both right out of PP and in the middle of nowhere). Truth be told, they'd be way better as getting a replacement or troubleshooting on the phone or something. Angkor would just wash their hands of you.

I recommended Dancing Roads in my original post, but Andy's routes which the OP is considering are basically potholed main roads, not what I'd consider dirtbiking (which typically would avoid all roads as much as possible). To me it's no fun, just really jarring and annoying, and there's no need for a 2018 KTM 250 two stroke to do stuff like that, just a bike with enough power and decent suspension travel. Then again, I think the OP is after reliability like you said, and newer=better is most cases.

@Roadman, if you stay six months let me know and we could do some rides. The fun trails don't even appear on Google maps!
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
roadman
Expatriate

Post by roadman »

Hey lexus, I'll take you up on that riding offer later in the year.

Andy's route looks fun to me as I like the ferry crossings and small villages. Agree it's not proper off-road but I still like any road, apart from...well a few (long stories to be told over cold beer).

The plan for July is a mixed ride with some cruising and some difficult stuff thrown in. Some of my friends won't be satisfied without some proper off-road challenges. The Cardamom crossing is still on the cards. Still researching it. The smuggler's trail probably isn't a wet weather run, physical fitness is gonna have to improve in the next 2 months for that.

Thanks to this forum I have a shortlist of 3 companies now. Dancing Roads are on it.

Reliability and a company that can bring replacement bikes if things go wrong are what I am looking for.

Loads of roads to be ridden, been looking over maps all week and probably won't stop once arrived.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:46 pm
Cooldude wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:35 amThere's adventure and then there's adventure with a broke-down bike in the middle of nowhere. The last time I rented bikes from Angkor was a nightmare because of poorly maintained and just plain worn-out bikes. Two friends and myself were in the middle of the Cardamoms when one of the bikes broke. The area the bike broke down in looked like something out of Apocolypse Now from illegal logging. I walked to the nearest loggers tent and bought a length of old rope from them and towed my friend from that area through mountains and streams for approximately 40 miles until we got to Pram Muoy where we were hostage to the local bike mechanic. Had to tow one of their bikes a second time a year later when a friend's bike broke down about ten miles before the Stung Treng ferry. All you'll get out of Angkor is a bunch of lame excuses. I know it's all part of the adventure but it really gets old after awhile.
I used to spend quite a bit of time in the area around Angkor dirt bikes and watched them taking their test rides. One of the backyard mechanics would get on the bike and ride it from the shop down 51 to street 174. Hang a left on 174 to Norodom and back to 172 and 172 back to 51. With that 2 minute ride around the block, the bike was deemed fit to rent to the next sucker.
Haha, true. That being said, I've seen the same happen to people who rented from the other shops mentioned here (both right out of PP and in the middle of nowhere). Truth be told, they'd be way better as getting a replacement or troubleshooting on the phone or something. Angkor would just wash their hands of you.

I recommended Dancing Roads in my original post, but Andy's routes which the OP is considering are basically potholed main roads, not what I'd consider dirtbiking (which typically would avoid all roads as much as possible). To me it's no fun, just really jarring and annoying, and there's no need for a 2018 KTM 250 two stroke to do stuff like that, just a bike with enough power and decent suspension travel. Then again, I think the OP is after reliability like you said, and newer=better is most cases.

@Roadman, if you stay six months let me know and we could do some rides. The fun trails don't even appear on Google maps!
I was not talking about off-road routes, just normal conditions of roads in general, good condition don't last long here when tarmac is involved :facepalm:
roadman
Expatriate

Post by roadman »

I understood what you were talking about Andy, all good and sage advice.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

roadman wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:06 pm I understood what you were talking about Andy, all good and sage advice.
Anyway, to be honest I feel too old these days to go on complicated trails, it's too physical and add the heat, and wildlife out there that wants to do you only harm, never mind the condition of the terrain. The normal roads are a challenge for me, more so the other fuckwits I join on the roads everyday.

:stir:
roadman
Expatriate

Post by roadman »

Fair enough mate. I'm from Australia. I am kind of used to heat, dangerous animals, and fukwits.

My happy place is rolling around slowly checking shit out. Sometimes a bit of off-road pain is fun too just not every day of the week.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic