Dirt bike rentals in PP

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Dirt bike rentals in PP

Post by AndyKK »

roadman wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:16 pm Thanks Mekongme,

I'm thinking hit the ground a bit early and see what's available. Fark fwitbook.

VMS is a new one to me. Thanks for the tip.

Not on a tour....making my own. Always welcome advice though.

Have you ever crossed the Cardamon mountains from Koh Kong direction?

Cheers
I have done little bits of the area, but some years back. You need to pick the right time of year, rainy season and some areas are un-passable even on the best dirt bike.

The above is good advice -
Dara and VMS (vuth) would be the only dirt bikes I would rent, especially if going off road. They will also provide you with maps and trails for where you are going..also if there's an issue, they put your bikes on trucks and will send a replacement.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I have shred tyres and seized up brakes in the Cardamon.

Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

If they have phone numbers listed on Google try them on Telegram, you are more likely to have some luck getting a reply that way. Also a good idea to ask them what they want in terms of a deposit - try to steer clear of using passports
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Bluenose wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:15 am If they have phone numbers listed on Google try them on Telegram, you are more likely to have some luck getting a reply that way. Also a good idea to ask them what they want in terms of a deposit - try to steer clear of using passports
Are there really still fools around who deposit their passports with a rental company before embarking on an overland trip? What happens in the event that they actually need their passports somewhere along their way?
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

You carry a photo copy. Your passport is safe and sound in the bike rentals safe.
Would any of you rent a bike without keeping a passport as security?
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

roadman wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:16 pm Thanks Mekongme,

I'm thinking hit the ground a bit early and see what's available. Fark fwitbook.

VMS is a new one to me. Thanks for the tip.

Not on a tour....making my own. Always welcome advice though.

Have you ever crossed the Cardamon mountains from Koh Kong direction?

Cheers
I did it 10 years ago. I believe it is all hardpack road now.
roadman
Expatriate

Post by roadman »

I wasn't aware there was a good road through there cunucklhead. Do you know the road number by chance?
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

canucklhead wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:41 am You carry a photo copy. Your passport is safe and sound in the bike rentals safe.
I've rented cars that are A LOT more expensive than those shitty dirt bikes without ever leaving behind my passport as deposit. I just can't understand why people would submit to that. The shop can keep the photocopy.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Alex wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:29 pm
canucklhead wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:41 am You carry a photo copy. Your passport is safe and sound in the bike rentals safe.
I've rented cars that are A LOT more expensive than those shitty dirt bikes without ever leaving behind my passport as deposit. I just can't understand why people would submit to that. The shop can keep the photocopy.
True this, I have been told by a few motorbike rental shops that they started to keep the passports, because their bikes would be rented and they would have to retrieve the bike from the border. the person who rented could not take the bike over because they we're not the owner.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Alex wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:23 am
Bluenose wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:15 am If they have phone numbers listed on Google try them on Telegram, you are more likely to have some luck getting a reply that way. Also a good idea to ask them what they want in terms of a deposit - try to steer clear of using passports
Are there really still fools around who deposit their passports with a rental company before embarking on an overland trip? What happens in the event that they actually need their passports somewhere along their way?
Pretty sure there will be one or two out there. Other issue of course is what happens if you wreck the bike or it gets stolen. I don't know whether the tales of rental companies using spare keys to steal their own bikes back and then charge for a replacement before releasing the passport are an urban myth or not
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic