Opening a Bank Account

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Uncle-V
Expatriate
Croatia

Opening a Bank Account

Post by Uncle-V »

Hi guys,

How hard is it to open a USD account at ABA or another bank in Cambodia? Can I just be on a Cambodian tourist visa and do it?
What documents, besides a passport, would I need?
Sorry if this has been asked before. I did an (admittedly cursory) search of the forum, and I didn't see any answers to this question.
Many thanks in advance
aroimakmak
Tourist
Argentina

Re: Opening a Bank Account

Post by aroimakmak »

My experience was about 6 years ago so things may have changed, but I managed to set up an account easily with ABA, on just a tourist visa. Only needed my passport. They mentioned that a work permit/visa (can't quite remember the exact one) was required. When I said I didn't have one they immediately decided to turn a blind eye to that fact, and open the account.
DankSinatra
BANNED
New Zealand

Post by DankSinatra »

aroimakmak wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 12:24 am My experience was about 6 years ago so things maYesy have changed, but I managed to set up an account easily with ABA, on just a tourist visa. Only needed my passport. They mentioned that a work permit/visa (can't quite remember the exact one) was required. When I said I didn't have one they immediately decided to turn a blind eye to that fact, and open the account.
KYC and CDD....I call bullshit.
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

ABA and Canadia were simple. Passport and an address where you're staying. I was in a Guesthouse for both at the time.

I think $5 was required as an initial deposit.

A text came on my phone when my ATM cards arrived at the branch.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

CAB bank requires ONLY a long term extension, $100 initial deposit, highest daily interest ( 1%) lowest incoming wire fees ( $5) an u can use some other bank atms for free
online banking phone app is also free
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

CaptainCanuck wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:37 am ABA and Canadia were simple. Passport and an address where you're staying. I was in a Guesthouse for both at the time.

I think $5 was required as an initial deposit.

A text came on my phone when my ATM cards arrived at the branch.
Can’t speak for other banks but for ABA, the passport is going to have to contain a current long term visa extension (1 month tourist visa does not qualify)
Uncle-V
Expatriate
Croatia

Post by Uncle-V »

I think things were probably a lot simpler (and better 6 years ago). Totalitarianism is slowly spreading its tentacles everywhere and choking off any freedom left.

But back to practical matters, how hard is it to get one of these "long term" visa extensions.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Uncle-V wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 3:57 pm I think things were probably a lot simpler (and better 6 years ago). Totalitarianism is slowly spreading its tentacles everywhere and choking off any freedom left.

But back to practical matters, how hard is it to get one of these "long term" visa extensions.
easy
1st enter on ordinary visa ( on arrival $35)
Than visit any agent and pay the amount they request for a 3, 6 or 12 month extension
EB; Business if ur working
ER; retirement if ur over 55
EG; looking for work for others
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Uncle-V wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 3:57 pm I think things were probably a lot simpler (and better 6 years ago). Totalitarianism is slowly spreading its tentacles everywhere and choking off any freedom left.

By ‘long term’ I meant 12 months. It depends on what your plans are while your in Cambodia, I’m on an early retirement visa, which is relatively simple to get (as long as you’re 55 or older), just find an agent, fill in the form provided , provide 1 current passport photo together with your passport, pay the relevant fee, and your visa passport c/w visa arrives in a couple of weeks.
If your planning on working here it’s a bit more involved as far as supporting documentation required (other members are far more qualified to advise on this than I am, PSD-Kiwi in particular)
Word of caution, if you go for the early retirement option, employment is not allowed, and you cannot ever revert to an employment visa, once you’re ‘retired’ here, you are retired.
See phuketrichards post regarding visa on entry choice, opt for the ordinary visa, not the tourist visa.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

This is from the ABA bank site -

You can open account at any ABA Bank branch. Here are the requirements:

For foreigners

Be at least 18 years old;
Bring​ the​ original​ and​ valid​ Passport​ (with​ valid​ visa)​ and​ any​ document​ that​ proves​ your​ residential​ status1;
Complete our application form.
1 Proof of residence includes the followings:

Multiple-entry​ visa​ without​ leaving​ the​ country​ for​ at​ least​ 182​ days​ in​ a​ year;
Proof​ of​ residence​ (house​ rental​ contract.​ certificate​ of​ residential​ address,​ hotel​ lease/bill)​ including​ a​ minimum​ of​ 6​ months​ tenor​ in​ the​ contract;​ or​
Proof​ of​ employment​ (employment​ contract,​ certificate​ of​ employment)​ indicating​ a​ minimum​ of​ 6​ months​ employment​ or​ business​ license/certificate​ (if​ self-employed).

https://www.ababank.com/en/current-account/
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic