Current turnaround time for UK and German(Schengen) visa applications

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
STEVITO
Expatriate
Great Britain

Current turnaround time for UK and German(Schengen) visa applications

Post by STEVITO »

Hi all,
The Cambodian missus has just applied through VGS for a UK visa. They said it might take up to 6 weeks. From past experience, it was usually done in a week or so. Was that VGS just giving out a standard response? Or are visa applications going slow currently?

Assuming the UK visa gets confirmed quickly she may also apply for a Schengen visa, with entry point Germany, through VGS. Any idea on turnaround time there?
bong.kuit
Expatriate

Re: Current turnaround time for UK and German(Schengen) visa applications

Post by bong.kuit »

We got ours in a week, got an appointment quickly too. (Right after KNY)
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

STEVITO wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:08 pm Hi all,
The Cambodian missus has just applied through VGS for a UK visa. They said it might take up to 6 weeks. From past experience, it was usually done in a week or so. Was that VGS just giving out a standard response? Or are visa applications going slow currently?

Assuming the UK visa gets confirmed quickly she may also apply for a Schengen visa, with entry point Germany, through VGS. Any idea on turnaround time there?
What's her situation? Legal marriage to Schengen citizen? Children with Schengen nationality?

If not there might be no turnaround but a denial depending on the situation.

According to EU laws when someone is entitled to a Schengen visa it has to be provided free of charge within 5 days.
STEVITO
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by STEVITO »

Hi Kammekor,
No legal right. She is Cambodian, I'm British but we are not legally married (and British doesn't count for much these days in Europe).
We can produce a confirmed itinerary, flight tickets, health insurance etc and have 2 recognised jabs. So in that sense all ok.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

STEVITO wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:16 am Hi Kammekor,
No legal right. She is Cambodian, I'm British but we are not legally married (and British doesn't count for much these days in Europe).
We can produce a confirmed itinerary, flight tickets, health insurance etc and have 2 recognised jabs. So in that sense all ok.
The UK are very strict in giving visa's to Cambodians.

I would be very interested how things work out. I have pretty much given up on any such ideas based on the experiences of others I know who have tried.
STEVITO
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by STEVITO »

Hi Doc67,
She has travelled 2 times before to the UK so 'should be fine'.
Of course, it was still necessary to produce a huge amount of documentation about her life in Cambodia, land titles, translations etc.

I'm more concerned about the Schengen application and unsure how long that might take. We won't consider it until the UK visa is granted though....
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

i have given up also a couple of years ago, tried to get a visa through french embassy, everything should be perfect, even 10k+ on her bank account here in PP, own appartement, but get denied without any real explication, unofficial eplication was "no prove she will return to KOW, even with children, property and 10K in the bank. I gave up also, but the answer was pretty quick after the interview, inside 14 days for sure. This was in 2018/2019. I just go a little more myself to KOW, better for me, cheaper, and no hassle. I know they all want to come to see and/or work in Europe, but i remebered a quote from one of my belgian friends who married a russian girl: if she doesnt speak the language and cant drive a car, you have to compare it with a 4-year old child, they can do nothing alone, you have to keep her hand 24/7 for anything !!! Think twice before you jump in darkness !!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

When there's no legal right you end up in the visa lottery. A few used UK visa might support the request but basically you're at the mercy of the embassy staff.
khmerre
Expatriate

Post by khmerre »

Kammekor wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:47 pm
When there's no legal right you end up in the visa lottery. A few used UK visa might support the request but basically you're at the mercy of the embassy staff.
recently info ?

because my information about getting schengen tourist visa through the Germany embassy is 3 years old and was not so difficult to get it, some people with guarantor scheme and some without but more money/education
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

STEVITO wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 3:17 pm Hi Doc67,
She has travelled 2 times before to the UK so 'should be fine'.
Of course, it was still necessary to produce a huge amount of documentation about her life in Cambodia, land titles, translations etc.

I'm more concerned about the Schengen application and unsure how long that might take. We won't consider it until the UK visa is granted though....
Ok, good news. I heard it was a long and drawn out process. Good luck.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic