Allegedly Certain Nationals Must Show $1000 Cash to Fly to Cambodia

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Allegedly Certain Nationals Must Show $1000 Cash to Fly to Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

May 6, 2022
$1000 in cash demand: Airlines acted on request from Immigration

Some airlines, including Thai Airways and Singapore Airlines, who insisted on seeing $1000 in cash from Indian travellers to Cambodia, acted on the basis of a ‘verbal request’ from Immigration authorities in Cambodia, highly placed sources told Khmer Times.

“The airlines have limited role in the requirement of ensuring $1000 in cash from Indian travellers to Cambodia. They are acting on behalf of an informal verbal request from the Immigration authorities in Cambodia,” the source said.

He also said that the requirement to ensure $1000 in cash covers passengers from 20 nations, including India.

“As per the request from the Immigration, passengers from 20 nations will have to show the airline staff that they have $1000 in cash for getting boarding passes to Cambodia,” the source added.

One of the reasons cited for the cash insistence is on the basis that ATMs at Phnom Penh International Airport could not dispense the $1,000 on some occasions.

Passengers, who fall in the 20 nationalities category, are deported at the carrier airline’s cost if they fail to clear immigration in Cambodia upon arrival.

Meanwhile, the Indian Embassy has taken up the matter with the Ministry of Interior and Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

A top Indian Embassy official told Khmer Times, “We have sent a Diplomatic Note to the Ministry of Interior (immigration falls under them) and Ministry of Foreign Affairs seeking clarity on the issue.”

While pointing out the significance of the move, he said, “Such measures, if some special circumstances warrant, are taken formally by the respective governments. Information on such additional measures is conveyed to the other government through diplomatic channels.”

According to a report in Khmer Times on Wednesday, many Indian passengers complained that Thai Airways insisted on seeing $1,000 in cash per passenger before issuing boarding passes.

The Indian Embassy has also received several complaints from its citizens about the issue.

Some workers, who were travelling to Phnom Penh on workers’ visas and boarded a Thai Airways flight to reach the Cambodian capital, complained that the airline staff insisted on seeing $1,000 in cash per passenger.

The passengers, who want to remain anonymous, said that the airline staff wasn’t ready to accept multi-currency prepaid travel cards, credit cards or balances in their bank accounts.

The passengers’ plight was much of the same for Singapore Airlines, where the officials reportedly insisted on seeing $1,000 in cash from Indian passengers.
- Khmer Times
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Allegedly Certain Nationals Must Show $1000 Cash to Fly to Cambodia

Post by Alex »

I'd love to see the full list of those 20 nationalities.

That being said, I think such a requirement should be communicated better, and well ahead of traveling. I'd be well pissed if I had to withdraw and/or exchange money at extortionate airport rates, in case I didn't know before and was ask to show cash at check-in.

I'm neither Indian nor short of money, by the way. But since I have local bank accounts in Cambodia plus all kinds of cashless payment options, I've never flown in with more than a few hundred dollars in cash.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I hope the Indian government raises a massive stink. Either you require proof of funds from all nationalities or none. Why Indian, a country with 750,000 millionaires and not, say, Europe where many of the backpackers that end up begging at traffic lights come from?
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

hanno wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:46 pm I hope the Indian government raises a massive stink. Either you require proof of funds from all nationalities or none. Why Indian, a country with 750,000 millionaires and not, say, Europe where many of the backpackers that end up begging at traffic lights come from?
Oh yes, I see Indian millionaires every day on Riverside. Funny how they come in on building worker permits.

I would trust the Cambodian government's judgment on this. They know the facts. There will be a reason for this. I don't expect the Indian government to complain.

I remember reading some cases of Indian workers being offered building work here by brokers in India. They did not have the correct paperwork and so on arrival, things didn't work out as planned.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I thought that was normal said amount of money for all nationalities who were visiting Cambodia.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

AndyKK wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:58 pm I thought that was normal said amount of money for all nationalities who were visiting Cambodia.
Have you ever been asked to show $1000 IN CASH before boarding your flight ?
It's possible that this was always a requirement in theory, but it the article appears to suggest that someone (Cambodian) has contacted some airlines (?) recently, and given them a list of nationalities who should be asked to show their cash before boarding their flight.

Make allowances for the fact that this a topic based on a Khmer Times article, so it is possible that it is all based on one Indian person who complained to them, or some other unidentifiable source.

Ok, the article cites "highly placed sources" and "an Indian Embassy official" as sources : https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501070020/ ... migration/
Why India? That's another question.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

AndyKK wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:58 pm I thought that was normal said amount of money for all nationalities who were visiting Cambodia.
I would hope it doesn’t become a ‘norm’. Like Alex, and many, I have bank accounts in Cambodia, and now only maintain limited banking outside. To get US$ would be a pain when travelling from some places. Near impossible in others.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Freightdog wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:29 pm
I would hope it doesn’t become a ‘norm’. Like Alex, and many, I have bank accounts in Cambodia, and now only maintain limited banking outside. To get US$ would be a pain when travelling from some places. Near impossible in others.
It won't.
The government is keen to welcome visitors and they won't be doing anything to put them off.
OTOH, they know which nationalities can present problems and/or don't spend much.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

hanno wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:46 pm I hope the Indian government raises a massive stink. Either you require proof of funds from all nationalities or none. Why Indian, a country with 750,000 millionaires and not, say, Europe where many of the backpackers that end up begging at traffic lights come from?
India cancelled all e visas during covid they have now reinstated them for 156 countries but not the UK ? My 5 year multiple entry visa is now useless and when I go again I have to pay again. I am pissed off
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Anchor Moy wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:26 pm
Have you ever been asked to show $1000 IN CASH before boarding your flight ?
No! I have never been asked. But I was under the impression that the said amount was the norm, and if so, yes it would show you had the means to support yourself, but it still is that of a low amount even if entering on a 1-month tourist's visa.
Thinking back was the same problem once in the news of a lady from an African country whom was offered a job in a cinema, but was refused entry because she could not show the same amount of funds.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic