Will Roe vs Wade be overturned?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: Will Roe vs Wade be overturned?

Post by IraHayes »

People here do realise that the USA has not outlawed abortion, right?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

IraHayes wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:07 pm People here do realise that the USA has not outlawed abortion, right?
maybe the court will take Burma's lead

Abortions are illegal in Myanmar unless the person seeking one can prove their life is at risk. Strict laws criminalise those who perform abortions for other reasons, and violators can face up to seven years in prison
so not only ILLEGAL BUT punishably with jail time!!

One reason why i believe to my core Abortions' should be federally legal!! stories like this should never have to be told in a free worl
Aye Soe* didn’t know that the abortion would almost kill her.

She waited for the procedure in a dark, cavernous room located in the back of an unlicensed midwife’s house in Yhor That Gyi, a village not far from Yangon in Myanmar. It looked like an ordinary clinic—it was clean and stocked with medical supplies—but there were no doctors present. It was dark. Fear began to seep in.

The midwife came in and instructed Aye Soe to lie down on the bed, open her legs and breathe. It was time to begin. The midwife took two small, soft straws and inserted them inside of her. After a few moments, Aye Soe watched as blood came out through the straws. The midwife told her to keep the straws inside of her and that blood would continue to slowly leave her body. Recovery could be slow, the midwife said.

When she returned home after the procedure, Aye Soe began feeling intense stomach pain. She tried to wait it out, but it only worsened. She knew something was wrong.

When Aye Soe first discovered that she was pregnant, she worried about her future. At 22 years old, she knew she was neither financially nor emotionally prepared to raise a child. But she also knew that abortions were almost always strictly illegal in Myanmar, making safe procedures hard to find.

But there had to be a way, she thought.

Aye Soe knew she would need support, so she reluctantly told her parents about her pregnancy. Despite being conservative Christians, they acknowledged that their daughter would not be able to raise a child. Instead of pushing her away, like she had heard so many other parents had done to their daughters, Aye Soe’s parents offered to help.

“They said I was too young to have a baby, and they wanted me to continue with my education,” she tells New Naratif. “I also didn’t want to get married at the time.”

With her parents’ blessing, Aye Soe’s sister reached out to friends until one of them recommended a woman who provides abortions with no questions asked.
https://newnaratif.com/most-dangerous-t ... n-myanmar/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

It will only apply in red states, so a brilliant tactical move by the GOP to increase popularity in their safe districts. Female voters will particularly appreciate it.
</sarc>
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

IraHayes wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:07 pm People here do realise that the USA has not outlawed abortion, right?
True. This ruling merely removed federal guidelines and left it up to individual states.

Still, hasn't stopped anyone from going nuts.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

So 1 false equivalency argument in an attempt to stir the pot and 2 acknowledgements that appear to understand how a federal republic works… even though 1 was a /sarc comment 😉

Once the outcry dies down and politicians come up for re-election I believe the individual states will come to a sensible decision based on the will of the voters in each state.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Clinics have begun closing in some US states after a Supreme Court ruling on Friday removed American women's constitutional right to abortion.

About half of states are expected to introduce new restrictions or bans after the court reversed its 50-year-old Roe v Wade decision.

And 13 states have so-called trigger laws in place that will see abortion banned within 30 days.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61933814
Clinics have already started closing in the United States after the Supreme Court’s ruling removed women’s right to an abortion.

Eight states with so-called trigger laws allowing an instant ban on abortion which included Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Kentucky, Missouri, South Dakota, Wisconsin and West Virginia stopped performing terminations after Friday’s decision.

Around half of states are expected to ban abortion after the court’s overturning of the landmark Roe v Wade ruling.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 09230.html
Silence, exile, and cunning.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

A few headlines, this morning, read “such & such state to defy SCOTUS…” etc etc.

Seriously? As a non-US citizen even I know how nonsensical these headlines are. They are not “defying” anything they are actually proving how a constitutional republic is meant to work.

States set there own laws.

So New York State is going to allow abortions up to point of birth, if that’s what the people who elect their representatives want, while states like Alabama will ban all abortions outright… for the same reason. The states are comprised of culturally different sets of people. Politicians get elected to these states on the will of the people.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:35 pm Don't think for a second the extreme religious right of America is any different to Al-Qaeda - the only distinction between the two is opportunity.
Username Taken wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:44 am What next? Make attendance at church on Sunday compulsory?
violet wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:19 am Bloody nutters on both sides
I don’t know at what point I would consider the fertilised egg to become a human but it’s definitely human to me when your belly is roundly sticking out in front of the woman.
I think all 3 of these quoted posts really show how fucked up things are in the US right now. I would love to say, 'come on, mandatory church attendance is just nonsense, that will never happen,' but the issue is that the far left has gotten more insane at a terribly fast speed, and the divide is getting huge. Of course there are dangerous extremists on both the far right and the far left, but at this current time you can objectively say the extreme left is way more mainstream than the crazy loons on the far right. I won't list all the woes, but like someone said, nobody on the left was able to (or better yet, 'felt they could safely and publicly') say what a 'woman' is, and they are literally getting away with allowing men to compete professionally in women's sports in the name of 'women's rights.' Now some of them seem to be able to say what a woman is again now that abortion is a hot topic.

So with all this absolute craziness becoming more mainstream, normal people are going to be pushed pretty far right to get at least a bit of sanity back. I have a feeling that if people are given the choice to vote for either babies being allowed to be killed seconds before birth when they're fully developed OR abortions banned almost completely, many more would just go with abortions being all but 100% outlawed. Even mainstream health sites tell us now that yes, a MAN can get pregnant. If a society believes a man can get pregnant, that society is doomed. There's a lot of random shit in this world up for debate, but that should never been one of them, and if it is, we're fucked.

So yes, the pendulum swings again, and as much ground the crazy far left has made in recent years I'm afraid it's only going to be natural that the crazy far right will get bad things pushed through that are only possible because the alternative is even more nuts.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

General Mackevili wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:36 am
So with all this absolute craziness becoming more mainstream, normal people are going to be pushed pretty far right to get at least a bit of sanity back.
The right has been pretty consistent in their position tbh
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

IraHayes wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:44 am
General Mackevili wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:36 am
So with all this absolute craziness becoming more mainstream, normal people are going to be pushed pretty far right to get at least a bit of sanity back.
The right has been pretty consistent in their position tbh
Bear in mind that enforcing the laws on the books can be described as "far-right" or "right-wing extremism" nowadays. Craziness indeed.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic