Will Roe vs Wade be overturned?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: Will Roe vs Wade be overturned?

Post by IraHayes »

nemo wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:19 pm
IraHayes wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:09 pm
nemo wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:26 am
How is he an ass?

The left currently proposes allowing abortion right up to point of birth.
Please cite a credible source for this.
Happy to oblige as Google is hard.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47066307

From the above article
The Democrat who sponsored the measure said it would allow abortions at any point in pregnancy up until the point of childbirth in certain cases.
And that 1 Democrat is not an outlier.
Well that is just crazy, I had no idea.
I try and steer clear of the rabid bullshit in USA.
Why I never spent much of my life there.
Indeed crazy shit. I think Chad's comment, that I quoted to highlight my stance, is pretty much most peoples **middle ground**
Almost no one I know advocates for a complete ban, just as no one takes the position of allowing abortion up to the point of delivery.

But sanity is in short supply these days.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

orichá wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:31 pm I am having difficulties understanding how at least 3 or 4 posters above have totally misconstrued the normal definition of abortion so as to include "pregnancy termination up to full term". Outside of extraordinary physical circumstances, there is no such a thing as a "near full-term abortion". Physically, the risks to a woman's health increase if abortions are performed after 3 months, 6 months, etc. . . Typically, the majority of women will have abortion-by-choice before 3 months... So, any argument about near-term abortions is unimportant and irrelevant to any discussion of free choice... In the real world, near-term abortions are only performed in cases in which either the fetus suffers servere deformity or a fatal congenital illness, and also, if carrying the pregnancy to term would prove fatal to the woman...

I once asked a girlfriend, many years ago, to have an abortion because I felt she lacked maturity to be a mother; also, I did not want to be a father because I had seen how badly becoming a father had fucked up my own dad... Anyway, I sometimes regret it, but I am grateful for the added liberty I gained for myself, and for my long ago girlfriend, too... Having a child is a big decision, and I did not want to leave my GF and a child in the lurch... (This is Cambodia, land of deadbeat fathers and geriatric hoodlums who don't stop to think what might happen to their babes should they kick-off suddenly. I think it should be illegal for expats in Cambodia to father kids after age 60 or 65.)

I believe men have no say over women in questions of abortion -- unless it is part of a mutual decision... Ultimately, no legislation or court system should be permitted to interfere with a woman and her own body... Some of you guys just don't get that because, simply enough, you are men, not women. That's all..!
It’s not about misconstruing the normal definition of abortion, I don’t think I’m alone when I say I think (“normal”) early term abortions and abortion of severely deformed/damaged fetuses are acceptable and understandable.
But there are people on record, fighting for the woman’s ‘right’ to have the choice to abort a healthy, full term pregnancy, if she decides at the last moment she doesn’t want the baby after all, that should not be allowed or necessary.
As for the fathers rights, a woman that decided to abort a healthy full term baby without considering the wishes of a willing/loving father anticipating it’s arrival (and any other person who considers that acceptable) would have to be some kind of monster.
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

Mayor Pete had a good response.

[media] [/media]
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Both sides (pro life and pro choice) appear to have an unlimited quantity of vociferous double digit IQ morons

There's very little nuance to be seen in most of the coverage that makes it as far as me

This is symptomatic of the schism in US society imo - people take the most polarizing extreme and screech about it & I don't see much difference between the loons torching abortion clinics and the loons advocating for abortion to be legal at full term with no preconditions set at all
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

orichá wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:31 pm I am having difficulties understanding how at least 3 or 4 posters above have totally misconstrued the normal definition of abortion so as to include "pregnancy termination up to full term". Outside of extraordinary physical circumstances, there is no such a thing as a "near full-term abortion". Physically, the risks to a woman's health increase if abortions are performed after 3 months, 6 months, etc. . . Typically, the majority of women will have abortion-by-choice before 3 months... So, any argument about near-term abortions is unimportant and irrelevant to any discussion of free choice... In the real world, near-term abortions are only performed in cases in which either the fetus suffers severe deformity or a fatal congenital illness, and also, if carrying the pregnancy to term would prove fatal to the woman...

I once asked a girlfriend, many years ago, to have an abortion because I felt she lacked maturity to be a mother; also, I did not want to be a father because I had seen how badly becoming a father had fucked up my own dad... Anyway, I sometimes regret it, but I am grateful for the added liberty I gained for myself, and for my long ago girlfriend, too... Having a child is a big decision, and I did not want to leave my GF and a child in the lurch... (This is Cambodia, land of deadbeat fathers and geriatric hoodlums who don't stop to think what might happen to their babes should they kick-off suddenly. I think it should be illegal for expats in Cambodia to father kids after age 60 or 65.)

I believe men have no say over women in questions of abortion -- unless it is part of a mutual decision... Ultimately, no legislation or court system should be permitted to interfere with a woman and her own body... Some of you guys just don't get that because, simply enough, you are men, not women. That's all..!
You believe men have "No say over women in questions of abortion". Yet you asked your partner to have an abortion "You felt she wasn't mature enough" did you think about that before YOU got her pregnant? Or was it a convenient justification/excuse for your request for her to abort?

Im under 60, but Im sure there are plenty of fit healthy financially secure men over 60 who could provide a great life to a child if they choose to, (who are you to judge?). In your case you'll never know.... :facepalm:
Last edited by Grand Barong on Sat May 21, 2022 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

IraHayes wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:13 pm
Chad Sexington wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 1:26 pm For the record, I’m not anti abortion, but there is a huge difference between flushing a bunch of cells early in a pregnancy, and extinguishing the life of a full term baby. If a woman really doesn’t want to see a pregnancy through, she should get a termination ASAP.
My 2 cents.
This is about where I stand tbh. I think the UK limit is 26 weeks or something. And while, yes, there are a few cases where 25 week old babies have been born and survived the care they require is extensive and the chances of survival are extremely low I think the 26 week limit is about right.
What right do either of you, PLUS the US government to tell her what to do??
even if you might agree that 12, 18, 24 , 30, 36 weeks is to far to go
its NOT ur call

As to the "rights" of the father, that's between the lady and him
NOT THE GOVERMENTS!
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:07 pm
Chad Sexington wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 1:26 pm For the record, I’m not anti abortion, but there is a huge difference between flushing a bunch of cells early in a pregnancy, and extinguishing the life of a full term baby. If a woman really doesn’t want to see a pregnancy through, she should get a termination ASAP.
My 2 cents.
This is about where I stand tbh. I think the UK limit is 26 weeks or something. And while, yes, there are a few cases where 25 week old babies have been born and survived the care they require is extensive and the chances of survival are extremely low I think the 26 week limit is about right.
its NOT ur call

NOT THE GOVERMENTS!
The father has "NO rights" in the woman's decision so your point is moot.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:07 pm
My 2 cents.
its NOT ur call

NOT THE GOVERMENTS!
ok .. look let's not go full "Libertarian", you never go full "Libertarian"
But you did so... here goes

Taking your argument as it is, which is basically "the government has no say over my body"
Let's apply that law to all things related to "my" body.

Alcohol
drugs
conscription in times of war ... giving your body as cannon fodder
wearing clothes (public nudity) ... its my body I will do with it as I please!

Oh and I haven't checked any postings from you about vaccine mandates so it would be nice if you could save me the time and include your position on these in any replies.
Also, why are we not allowed to have an opinion on abortion??
You are aware, I'm sure, that the original decision was handed down by an all male Supreme Court?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Fortunately for everyone the Miami paper that ran that story has no idea what they are talking about because that’s not what the bill says.

That being said, some on the progressive left are just as out of touch with abortion issues as some are on the far-right. Where are all the moderate lawmakers? So sad.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic