Will Roe vs Wade be overturned?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: Will Roe vs Wade be overturned?

Post by IraHayes »

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

IraHayes wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:27 pm Image
:facepalm: :assasin:
come on, why not show photos of what took place outside, like the police being beaten and the crowd chanting, "Hang Pence"

It was NOT a peaceful protest
It was NOT a coup
it was NOT an insurrection

It was a group of uniformed, "good ole boy" wackos incited by trump's speech/lies that the election was "stolen" to create a diversion from the reality he lost!!
They had a zero chance of overturning the election
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

IraHayes wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:44 am
General Mackevili wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:36 am
So with all this absolute craziness becoming more mainstream, normal people are going to be pushed pretty far right to get at least a bit of sanity back.
The right has been pretty consistent in their position tbh
that hits way to close to home.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

this makes me proud of American companies in the recent events
Disney, Netflix, Amazon, Paramount, More Reimburse Travel Expenses for Employees Seeking Abortion

The post Disney, Netflix, Amazon, Paramount, More Reimburse Travel Expenses for Employees Seeking Abortion appeared first on Consequence.

As the nation reels from the Supreme Court’s decision to overturn a constitutional right to safe abortion, some of the entertainment industry’s largest companies have announced that they will reimburse travel expenses for employees seeking that procedure. Following the ruling today, June 24th, Paramount sent their employees a memo emphasizing the option, while Amazon announced a similar policy last month, and Puck News reports Disney, Netflix, Comcast, Sony, and Warner Bros. Discovery have all made promises along those lines.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/dis ... 11316.html
Banking giant JP Morgan also told its US employees it would cover travel expenses for medical services, including "legal abortions", according to a staff memo, dated 1 June and seen by Reuters news agency.

Another leading US investment bank, Goldman Sachs, also said it would cover travel expenses for employees who needed to go to another state to get an abortion from 1 July, according to Reuters.

Social media company Meta said it intended to reimburse travel expenses where permitted by law, "for employees who will need them to access out-of-state health care".

"We are in the process of assessing how best to do so given the legal complexities involved," a spokesperson added.

Other companies which have indicated they will take similar steps include Vogue publisher Conde Nast, jeans brand Levi Strauss, and ride hailing companies Lyft and Uber.

Lyft also said it would legally shield drivers in abortion cases, with a spokesperson adding that "no driver should have to ask a rider where they are going and why".

Several other companies, including Amazon, review website Yelp, and banking giant Citigroup, had already said before the Supreme Court ruling that they would reimburse employees who travel to circumvent local abortion restrictions

Yelp chief executive Jeremy Stoppelman said on Twitter that the court's decision "puts women's health in jeopardy", adding that "business leaders must speak out".

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-61941591
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Trump must be pleased as a fly on shit ( he was able to get 3 conservatives appointed and packed the court
What can we ( as American voters) do? Fuck all

Justice's serve for life, very difficult to remove them ( they must be impeached)
So what can be done?
Well, Congress can raise the number of justices, so now is the time to do it while democrat's control the house an senate,( although the number hasn't been raised in 151 years) than the president can sign it into law
Otherwise the majority conservative justice's will continue to fuck America good

I Hope those smarter than me are doing something..
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

IraHayes wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:07 pm People here do realise that the USA has not outlawed abortion, right?
True. But the fact some states are looking into possibilities to sue women seeking abortion in another state is worriesome, isn't it? Wasn't it one nation united? What happened to the rights of the individual, and the paradigm of the government staying out of our lives as much as possible?

The conservatives have made a major U-turn.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Kenr wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:27 pm Everyone does realize that this posting by the Miami Standard News Staff is satire, it’s not real?
I’d like to believe that everyone does realise that this can only be satirical in nature. But I do believe there are some seriously deficient people out there who might think it real, and would fight for this.

As a former reader of Mad, and it’s ilk, and having a fairly broad and often bizarre sense of humour, these days humanity gives me fewer reasons to chuckle.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:12 pm
IraHayes wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:07 pm People here do realise that the USA has not outlawed abortion, right?
True. But the fact some states are looking into possibilities to sue women seeking abortion in another state is worriesome, isn't it? Wasn't it one nation united? What happened to the rights of the individual, and the paradigm of the government staying out of our lives as much as possible?

This is valid point (posters take note please.. this is how you debate)
I don't agree with preventing women seeking an abortion in a state with less restrictions and I wonder how they will reconcile the arguments, where on the one hand they want .gov out of their lives, and .gov dictating what you can do with your body once you cross state lines.

But, as I have stated previously, I think once they "test the water" they may decide it may not be in the best interests of their careers as politicians. The fact that they are looking into the possibility may just be them "testing the water" so to speak.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

IraHayes wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:17 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:12 pm

This is valid point (posters take note please.. this is how you debate)
I don't agree with preventing women seeking an abortion in a state with less restrictions and I wonder how they will reconcile the arguments, where on the one hand they want .gov out of their lives, and .gov dictating what you can do with your body once you cross state lines.

But, as I have stated previously, I think once they "test the water" they may decide it may not be in the best interests of their careers as politicians. The fact that they are looking into the possibility may just be them "testing the water" so to speak.
Of course it's all rethorics. One state sueing a citizen for something she did legally in another state of the same country, it doesn't stand a chance in (highest) court. Imagine I drove 90 mph in Florida but Mississippi has a 70 mph speed limit, and the State of Mississippi will sue me for that. It's beyond common sense, at least for me.
But the fact these rethorics are used shows us (me) it's heading in a direction where words are used too easy for (political?) gain.
It's just so way over my head, I don't get it, but what I don't get the most is the fact these rethorics aren't debunked on whatever media instantly.

But then I am not an American citizen.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic