Dollar dollar bills y'all

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Apparition
Expatriate
Cambodia

Dollar dollar bills y'all

Post by Apparition »

Before I go changing my sterling into $, which bills are currently accepted in KOW?

Have they done away completely with $1, $5 and $10s?

Bonus question: are 100s as much of a pain in the arse to use/change as I've read?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Dollar dollar bills y'all

Post by Doc67 »

Apparition wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:27 pm Before I go changing my sterling into $, which bills are currently accepted in KOW?

Bonus question: are 100s as much of a pain in the arse to use/change as I've read?
ONLY bring new $100 bills with the security features and brand new in mint condition.

$1 are rare, $5s are in terrible condition and to be avoided.

$100's are easy to change into KHR at the money changers.

In bars and restuarants, they are difficult to exchange if you spend $1. If you spend $99 they are easy.

If you change them in a bar and get back any $'s, check them closely for tears and other damage.

Just get rid of them for KHR when you get here and you'll have no problems.
Lonestar
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lonestar »

USD is widely accepted without any issues. You are less likely to receive USD in change..
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Apparition wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:27 pm Before I go changing my sterling into $, which bills are currently accepted in KOW?

Have they done away completely with $1, $5 and $10s? - Nope - they are fine

Bonus question: are 100s as much of a pain in the arse to use/change as I've read? - no problem at all - maybe over a decade back slight headache but unless they are grubby or ripped non issue
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Doc67 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:44 pm

ONLY bring new $100 bills with the security features and brand new in mint condition.

$1 are rare, $5s are in terrible condition and to be avoided.

$100's are easy to change into KHR at the money changers.

In bars and restuarants, they are difficult to exchange if you spend $1. If you spend $99 they are easy.

If you change them in a bar and get back any $'s, check them closely for tears and other damage.

Just get rid of them for KHR when you get here and you'll have no problems.
In bars and restuarants, they are impossible to exchange if you spend $1.

FTFY
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Apparition
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Apparition »

Thanks guys. I'll get a few hundreds and a few smaller notes to get me started.

I'm sure I read a thread about the best places to change money once I'm there (not the airport IIRC)...any hot tips on that front?
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Apparition wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:35 pm Thanks guys. I'll get a few hundreds and a few smaller notes to get me started.

I'm sure I read a thread about the best places to change money once I'm there (not the airport IIRC)...any hot tips on that front?
From your bank account, you might want to use the likes of WorldRemit (WR) and pick up the cash, instantly, at a Wing. Or any money transfer company that you can deposit money directly into a wallet, and avoid the bank's "interrogations" and hurdles, and their greedy exchange rates, altogether. From there you can transfer $1,000 at a time, up to 3 transactions per day (that should get most people through to the next day), at the money transfer company's rate.

If you really want to save every penny possible, and you already have a SIM/phone number, you can send the money to yourself in Cambodia, before you leave:
1. Set up account at whatever website.
2. Put your details as recipient.
3. Pay.
4. You will receive a code via SMS and/or email. Scribble this on a piece of paper, and include your Cambodian phone number and amount you sent (in USD or Riel, whichever you chose). Put paper in pocket of travel attire or easy access point in carry-on.
5. Take off, land, get your tuk tuk, taxi, whatever to stop at a Wing on the way - green signage, white writing (to assist your peripheral), and there are 23,509,395,229,001 agencies, give or take a B - give the prepared paper (get out of tuk, first) and your, SIM-inserted, phone at the counter and receive your cash in ~37 seconds.
6. Resume journey, pay and tip (hat).

If you don't have a SIM, now, you can also get one on the way (often at the Wing outlet), finish your transfer on your mobile app account that you previously set up back home, with your new number as recipient phone number, and refer to the above to work out the rest.

WR also deduct all fees for the first 3 transfers.

There are other advantages and alternatives, like a Mobile Money wallet, you can set up when here, and receive higher amounts, plus more.

The above info is based on my presumption you are in the UK.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i get $1 in change sometimes
OFTEN get $10 & 20
and than 1,000, 5,000, 10,000 20,000 & 50,000 riel notes
takes me a minute or 2 to make sure i have the correct change :-)

Have found supermarkets are great places to use $100 bills and get change
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Apparition
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Apparition »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:43 pm
Apparition wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:35 pm Thanks guys. I'll get a few hundreds and a few smaller notes to get me started.

The above info is based on my presumption you are in the UK.
Thanks, that's good info. WR charge £15 for $1000 which, I'm assuming, is less than Lloyds. I'll open a bank account once I'm set up.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

All USD notes are still accepted as long as their condition is OK (1$ note) to crisp (100$ note).
Some places will deny a 100$ note because of a small tear, a stamp, a crease.... So be careful. Bring crisps as suggested to avoid disappointment in the KoW.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic