Are white people seen as celebrities?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
KornMermaid
Tourist
United States of America

Are white people seen as celebrities?

Post by KornMermaid »

Hi, as a foreigner in Cambodia do you find that the locals treat you as celebrities/sources of $$$ where the relationships are shallow or is it possible to develop real and meaningful relationships with locals? Will there be a divide between locals and foreigners where they are friendlier to you simply because you're a celebrity in their eyes?
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Are white people seen as celebrities?

Post by rozzieoz »

I have Khmer friends who have loved me just as much when I was broke as when I have money. They fed me when I had no food and took care of me when I was ill.
I feel sad for you that you don't have relationships like this.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Wow. I wouldn’t leave the US with that mindset, unless you plan on becoming a YouTube star. (Yes, sarcasm)
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

I've generally found that how Cambodians treat you is, to a large degree, dependent on how you treat them and how you behave.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

KornMermaid wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:50 am Hi, as a foreigner in Cambodia do you find that the locals treat you as celebrities/sources of $$$…
No. Far from it.

Now for you; When you were in Cambodia a few years ago, were you treated as a celebrity?

What are your expectations of Cambodia? You’ve made two posts, and asked what might almost be taken for one of those useless surveys that people badger folk about, but rarely ask anything useful. The first post was a few days ago, yet you didn’t respond to any of the actual answers.
Are you writing an article for a blog or magazine?
Previously you mentioned ‘thinking Phnom Penh’. along with a few other places. Where did you visit before?

What age group are you? Where is home? Have you done much travelling?
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

KornMermaid wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:50 am Hi, as a foreigner in Cambodia do you find that the locals treat you as celebrities/sources of $$$ where the relationships are shallow or is it possible to develop real and meaningful relationships with locals? Will there be a divide between locals and foreigners where they are friendlier to you simply because you're a celebrity in their eyes?
You mention shallow relationships - Its impossible to have anything other unless you can properly communicate. So, unless you speak the language or befriend locals who speak your language the relationships will be 'shallow' as you describe them.

Life is all about Karma. I am sure if you are nice to them (locals) they will be nice to you irrespective of economic disparities that may or may not exist.
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
KornMermaid
Tourist
United States of America

Post by KornMermaid »

Bluenose wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:49 am I've generally found that how Cambodians treat you is, to a large degree, dependent on how you treat them and how you behave.
Thanks
KornMermaid
Tourist
United States of America

Post by KornMermaid »

ego bibere nimis wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:40 am
KornMermaid wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:50 am Hi, as a foreigner in Cambodia do you find that the locals treat you as celebrities/sources of $$$ where the relationships are shallow or is it possible to develop real and meaningful relationships with locals? Will there be a divide between locals and foreigners where they are friendlier to you simply because you're a celebrity in their eyes?
You mention shallow relationships - Its impossible to have anything other unless you can properly communicate. So, unless you speak the language or befriend locals who speak your language the relationships will be 'shallow' as you describe them.

Life is all about Karma. I am sure if you are nice to them (locals) they will be nice to you irrespective of economic disparities that may or may not exist.
Thanks, I'll have to take some Khmer classes.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

In the province you feel a bit of celebrity status as the kids yell hello as you ride past.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

atst wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:33 am In the province you feel a bit of celebrity status as the kids yell hello as you ride past.
Do some of the locals stare at you longer than is polite/comfortable?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic