Are white people seen as celebrities?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
violet
Expatriate

Re: Are white people seen as celebrities?

Post by violet »

ego bibere nimis wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:40 am
KornMermaid wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:50 am Hi, as a foreigner in Cambodia do you find that the locals treat you as celebrities/sources of $$$ where the relationships are shallow or is it possible to develop real and meaningful relationships with locals? Will there be a divide between locals and foreigners where they are friendlier to you simply because you're a celebrity in their eyes?
You mention shallow relationships - Its impossible to have anything other unless you can properly communicate. So, unless you speak the language or befriend locals who speak your language the relationships will be 'shallow' as you describe them.

Life is all about Karma. I am sure if you are nice to them (locals) they will be nice to you irrespective of economic disparities that may or may not exist.
Couldn’t help but laugh considering the number men married to Cambodian women - unable to do more than a basic convo in very broken pigeon English
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

Big Daikon wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:41 am
atst wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:33 am In the province you feel a bit of celebrity status as the kids yell hello as you ride past.
Do some of the locals stare at you longer than is polite/comfortable?
You mean like the way barang stare at the girls walking down 136 longer than is polite /comfortable?
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

violet wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:46 am
ego bibere nimis wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:40 am
KornMermaid wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:50 am Hi, as a foreigner in Cambodia do you find that the locals treat you as celebrities/sources of $$$ where the relationships are shallow or is it possible to develop real and meaningful relationships with locals? Will there be a divide between locals and foreigners where they are friendlier to you simply because you're a celebrity in their eyes?
You mention shallow relationships - Its impossible to have anything other unless you can properly communicate. So, unless you speak the language or befriend locals who speak your language the relationships will be 'shallow' as you describe them.

Life is all about Karma. I am sure if you are nice to them (locals) they will be nice to you irrespective of economic disparities that may or may not exist.
Couldn’t help but laugh considering the number men married to Cambodian women - unable to do more than a basic convo in very broken pigeon English
Sure, but his point is valid. Unless you can have a fluent conversation you will never really get to know someone. I doubt you'll even get close.

I can't see what the big deal is about making "real and meaningful" friendships with Khmers. Sure, if you want a wife or girlfriend (and her family) but why would I want a male Khmer as a close friend? Little to zero effective communication, zero cultural connections and most I come across are half my age. What's the point?
Oumedc
Expatriate

Post by Oumedc »

http://vimeo.com/
rozzieoz wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:26 am I have Khmer friends who have loved me just as much when I was broke as when I have money. They fed me when I had no food and took care of me when I was ill.
I feel sad for you that you don't have relationships like this.
This so right the way it is said and same for my self my landlord watched me close business one by one at the start of covide.. Came to me and said just make sure you cover electric my son.. All good me and my family believe In you...

To the origanal poster step back look in a mirror and asked why you are perceived in the way you think
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

Obviously you need few lessons in critical race theory.

A good start would be to read thisImage
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Back in the David Beckham days, I was seen as a celebrity pretty much everywhere, as I'm basically just a less effeminate version of him.

Those days are obviously long gone.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Yeah this burgeoning celeb status is something that happens after one leaves passport control at pochentong

I have trouble crossing town as the autograph hunters are usually seven deep for kilometers on end; sometimes I need the PMBU and Gendarme to block every street along russian bvld to make way for me

I rarely pay for any meals; rather the restaurant owners exchange their food and drink in exchange for a mini photo-shoot which they use to attract high paying customers who want to sit in my lingering musk after my departure

I drive a different car every day as all the dealerships throw me comped cars all day and all night and each moment of my sleep is streamed live across various social media sites from the cameras of 37 members of the Cambodian Journalistic Fellowship who are encamped in my (comped) penthouse suite for 13 hours a day

It's a hard life but somebody's got to do it
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:48 pm Yeah this burgeoning celeb status is something that happens after one leaves passport control at pochentong

I have trouble crossing town as the autograph hunters are usually seven deep for kilometers on end; sometimes I need the PMBU and Gendarme to block every street along russian bvld to make way for me

I rarely pay for any meals; rather the restaurant owners exchange their food and drink in exchange for a mini photo-shoot which they use to attract high paying customers who want to sit in my lingering musk after my departure

I drive a different car every day as all the dealerships throw me comped cars all day and all night and each moment of my sleep is streamed live across various social media sites from the cameras of 37 members of the Cambodian Journalistic Fellowship who are encamped in my (comped) penthouse suite for 13 hours a day

My daily laugh, thank you !
You forgot all the designer clothes you get to wear for free!
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

rozzieoz wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:45 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:48 pm Yeah this burgeoning celeb status is something that happens after one leaves passport control at pochentong

My daily laugh, thank you !
You forgot all the designer clothes you get to wear for free!
And all the Rolex's and Breitling's for "flexing" in...
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

ego bibere nimis wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:12 am
Big Daikon wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:41 am
atst wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:33 am In the province you feel a bit of celebrity status as the kids yell hello as you ride past.
Do some of the locals stare at you longer than is polite/comfortable?
You mean like the way barang stare at the girls walking down 136 longer than is polite /comfortable?
Well, many of the ladies on 136 are "available". Not just a white guy at the supermarket.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic