Tobacco brands/recommendations?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Tobacco brands/recommendations?

Post by SlowJoe »

I'm not here to start a debate on smoking health or if organic tobacco is safer etc, I'm just looking for something relatively "additive free" like American Spirits or Northfields (Canada companies) mainly for taste reasons. Don't know if I trust "additive free" written on the boxes here.

Never bought smokes here before, see a million choices, don't know where to start. Don't mind buying dried leaf and paper and rolling my own too.

Smokers, thank you in advance
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Tobacco brands/recommendations?

Post by armchairlawyer »

I don't smoke but I'd say that stuff the locals smoke must be pretty natural. Sold in the markets for around $10 per kg.
Smoke it wrapped in banana leaf or leaves of certain trees (don't know their names).
It might kill you but it won't bankrupt you.
Artisan
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Artisan »

pebbles&nightsky
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

I'm actually trying to use it on the altar in place of incense near the door for some mosquito repellent because I can't stand the smell of incense or those Raid coils. Hate the smell of commercial cigs too, that's why I was looking for just regular leaves.

Couldn't find anything "additive free" in a box so I bought some Cambodian stuff at a local market, have to admit it didn't taste or smell that good in comparison to smokes I've had way back when. Oh well, $5 for a bag and some rolling paper, can't complain, smells better than incense and it's keeping the bugs at bay so far.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

SlowJoe wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:01 pm I'm actually trying to use it on the altar in place of incense near the door for some mosquito repellent because I can't stand the smell of incense or those Raid coils. Hate the smell of commercial cigs too, that's why I was looking for just regular leaves.

Couldn't find anything "additive free" in a box so I bought some Cambodian stuff at a local market, have to admit it didn't taste or smell that good in comparison to smokes I've had way back when. Oh well, $5 for a bag and some rolling paper, can't complain, smells better than incense and it's keeping the bugs at bay so far.
Pretty dam rough.
I can't use it.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I tried one of those locally rolled cigarettes once and nearly choked to death.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

nemo wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:45 pm Pretty dam rough.
I can't use it.
John Bingham wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 4:48 pm I tried one of those locally rolled cigarettes once and nearly choked to death.
It's been the space of two decades since I've lit up so I didn't want to say anything definitive, but my first thoughts were along the lines of "This shit seems awful..."

Took a single hit to taste and thought the same thing... Guess I'm not alone.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic