Pool tables in Phnom Penh

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
scott61
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Pool tables in Phnom Penh

Post by scott61 »

The pool scene in Phnom Penh.

Any experiences or memories of playing pool in city venues? There was a thread on the forum a few years ago but it's now out of date.

For those into 9 foot pool, or even snooker, Phnom Penh has a great pool scene, with Hops having the best tables (3) in the city. The Pickled Parrot with 1 table, is my second best, and Sharky's third on quality, with 3 tables.

But quality is not the only criteria for a good pool night. You have to fork out $4 and hour to play pool in Hops even if you drink and eat there. Although the quality of food and beer are expensive but excellent.
As for the Pickled Parrot, good luck to even getting on a table because the residents keep them busy. By the way, if you are thinking about booking a room to stay, it's nearly always fully booked.
That leaves Sharky's as my Number One for pool. Match yourself against the hostesses, who at the moment are not more than decent players. But it has good value food, good range of beers and live music most nights. Pool competitions haven't restarted yet, which at one time were regular events.
What do you think of my top three? Anyone got experience on other pool places in PP?

I will put more info (and pics) later on the scene in girly box-bar pool, and clubs and sports bars I have visited oven the years.
Welcome to social media. You will be contacted shortly by someone who doesn't understand humour.
FrankReynolds
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Pool in Phnom Penh

Post by FrankReynolds »

I remember a table set up in a girlie bar years ago where the room was so cramped, if the white ball stopped in a certain spot you could open the fridge door to make room to play it.

Sundance used to have some great players there regularly.
Pickled parrot in its new location still attracts a few glove wearing serious types, I believe.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Years ago, I would play pool at the Black Cat bar on street 51, if the table is in the same room there is an obstacle that would hinder one's game. I was a concrete piler up against the table, the girls of the bar soon got to use this against you, it made for an interesting game.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
scott61
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by scott61 »

FrankReynolds wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:35 pm I remember a table set up in a girlie bar years ago where the room was so cramped, if the white ball stopped in a certain spot you could open the fridge door to make room to play it.

Sundance used to have some great players there regularly.
Pickled parrot in its new location still attracts a few glove wearing serious types, I believe.
A lot of girlie bars have restricted areas. The worst is the Black Cat where the table was surely not installed by Einstein!
I am going to review the poor girly bar scene. There are some decent players among the hostesses, and some surprisingly good tables.
You might have spotted the mistake I made above - The Pickled Parrot has 3 tables, not 1.
I know some people wear gloves are posers. My excuse is that I have sweaty hands!
Welcome to social media. You will be contacted shortly by someone who doesn't understand humour.
scott61
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by scott61 »

AndyKK wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:49 pm Years ago, I would play pool at the Black Cat bar on street 51, if the table is in the same room there is an obstacle that would hinder one's game. I was a concrete piler up against the table, the girls of the bar soon got to use this against you, it made for an interesting game.
I just read your comment after my last post in which I replied to the comment about the Black Cat and said the same thing about the pillar!
I'm reviewing pool in PP from my own experience and I have been reading online reviews too. One reviewer said they arrived late at the Black Cat bar to find a girl sleeping at the table, he woke her up and played pool with her!
You can't blame the girl, 24 hour opening, and at the moment. When I went recently mid-evening there was one girl and no customers.
scott61
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by scott61 »

More details of the first three reviews

Sharky's (St 130) First for me. There is a long steep staircase to negotiate to the first floor. Once there it becomes a vast open floor with bar bandstand with 3 good pool tables and a very large area of seating. It has its own restaurant and many amenities. Some of best tables in PP, free, ladies to match yourself to, and now many lady customers... before plague had 8 ball and 9 ball competitions. Currently Sharky's Number One is only a decent player not really strong. I can beat her with or without my glove!

Pickled Parrot St. 136 (moved from 104)
Stayed here for 4 nights before the plague and it was excellent and played pool a lot. The food is excellent, with a big menu. The staff are all lovely. They have 3 tables (not 1 as I said in my first post). Pub guests are very friendly and once had 3 pool tournaments a week Tues (8 ball), Friday (9 ball) and Saturday (10 ball) There are many newer, posher place to stay but the friendliness of the place and the great food makes it a winner. But now seems to be fully booked, apart from this month.

Hops Craft Beer Bar and Restaurant No.17 Street 228 Corner Street 51,
'Professional' high-end billiard tables. A pool playing bar. A bit trendy. Busy with young locals. Often pool tables in full use. Very nice place, the best pool tables in Phnom Penh, but expensive. $4 an hour. Fantastic beer and great food. The venue itself is huge and includes 2 bars, 3 pool tables, 2 dart boards and a very large garden. Visited March 2022.

canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

Oz bar has a slate 9 ball table. No charge to play. Beers 1$
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

There is a bar in street 5 between 118 and 110 on the west side of the street. It used to be called The Green Frog Skin - something like that anyway.

They had a single pool table on an mezzanine floor at the back of the bar. It has a sofa and a table up there. God knows how they got it up there or how it hasn't collapsed subsequently, but this is the KOW.

It is a good size and has an AC unit up their and fans too. It is good for a private session of a few players without strangers trying to get on the table as you get in Sharkeys etc.
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

Gotha is pretty good. Three tables, maybe 4 (can't remember).
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

What about Score Bar? They've got a few tables.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic